DirecTv HD DVR - Newbie Perplexed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tff17

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
First time posting since I just joined the HDTV world. I purchased an HDTV this past weekend. I have hooked up an antenna and get good HD reception on all 4 major networks (but poor SD reception on all networks). I live in Washington, so we have the HD locals available. I am considering getting the current HD DVR since I can get the locals OTA and don't need to recieve them through DirecTv (I am assuming I would still get all the SD local feeds through D*).

I am wondering if I should wait for the new HD DVR that is MPEG-4 compatible. Will I gain anything since I don't need it for the local channels? When will D* start sending out other channels that will require MPEG-4? I have a SD DVR hooked up to the TV currently, so losing my DVR capability is not an option. What kind of deals are there on the current HD DVR (I need to upgrade my dish also)?

Just perplexed as to when to make the switch. Any help is appreciated.

Eventually, depending on where you live, DirectTV will beam only MPEG 4 content from their Sats to your HD Receiver. That includes locals and HBO, and Discovery and anything that is HD that goes throught the Sats.

So it's just not locals that will be MPEG4, it's any and all HD content Direct will be beaming down to you. Therefore you will need the proper equipment to view it.

You may have to call Direct to get better specifics. That;s all I really know about it without trying to throw you off.

I'm in the same boat; I'd like to get an HD DVR, but I'd like to wait for the mpeg4 one, since I'm in Atlanta and want my locals in HD. I currently have the mpeg2 HD box, but can't pick up any HD locals other than Fox OTA.
When is the new HD DVR supposed to be released? Anyboody know a estimated cost? Just don't know a time frame........

The HD Dvr has a tuner only for digital OTA and not analog OTA. In my area not all networks are digital as yet (spring 2006) so I had to purchase the locals on directv to use full recording functionality. I was disappointed when I found that out after the install...my old HD receiver could do both. I believe if you signup for locals on D you also get 4 major networks (abc, cbs, nbc, fox) in HD plus the 6 SD channels in the market. I prefer watching the SD channels when they do not transmit in HD to avoid the side panels.

The mpeg4 locals should be available in washington dc shortly. I got the following deal from customer retention this past xmas for my parents. $499 with a $200 instant credit plus the rebate. They will replace the unit for a small fee once mpeg 4 is available in your area. the new unit should be available 2nd quarter...most likely early summer.

Rick

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts