DirecTV HD - I don't recomend to my worst enemy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TivoFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
I upgraded my DirecTV service last month to High-Definition, paid *premium* price for this upgrade - I wasted around $400 :mad:

I was expecting to have limited HD programming, from what I read here and other forums. But I didn't expect to be as bad as it is.

First, in the already limited number of channels, a lot of programming is not true HD. Showtime is the worst, most of it is just upconverted.

Second, the shows are repeated over and over again.

Third, I called DirecTV and was told they have NO plans to get new HD channels. I was expecting that with the competition from Voom and Dish they were going to start adding more channels. Not.

I asked if I could cancel the upgrade and have the equipment returned - I can't :mad:

Result - I am signing up with VOOM and leaving my DirecTV only at the bare bones for my Tivo and programming that currently VOOM doesn't have.

After my 1 year contract expires I will decide which one I'll keep. If Voom adds Tivo and more SD channels I'll cancel Directv.

I guess I'll have to sell my Samsung HD at ebay to recover at least $200 from the $400 I spent :no

Some might be wondering what it was you expected???? :confused:

- Anyone doing 5 minutes of homework on the D*TV site could tell you exactly what HD content they offer today. The channel sites have their own detail as well.

- D*TV never announces their new channel offerings more than 72 hours before going live with them (it's been that way for over 5 years). It's also posted as such on at least 10 different WEB sites on the topic if anyone did a search on this topic (D*TV HD).

- Finally, it has been widely reported that D*TV will be expanding and adding additional HD (timeline not officially announced), also well posted in dozens of places.

One has to wonder how much research was done BEFORE you took the plunge. None of what you described is either new information nor unknown to anyone who does any real kind of research.

I, for one, have had D*TV's HD package since it came out, and am very happy with what they offer so far. Sure, I'd always love to get more, but with the OTA HD on locals plus the D*TV package, I get 14 channels of HD now - with more coming soon. :yes

I have 3 relatives and at least 8-9 close friends who have the same thing I do and are all quite happy.

If its just ANY OLD content you want, just to get something in HD (paint drying, grass growing, etc.), maybe Voom is right for you. :D

Good luck.

yes i too doubt how much research this person has done .first there isnt much true hd even on voom .if u dont like showtime hd cause of the upconvert youll hate most of voom hd lineup .granted voom has starz and cinimax hd but the other "exclusive " content is sd upconvert . and by exclusive i mean other sat providers. I would suggest u read up in the voom forums before u get voom if u havent already

Yes, that what I want - cinemax, starz, bravo, etc, etc.

And yes, I did my homework but here is what happens:

- For some programming, no one really knows what is true HD or upconv until you turn it on and watch it. Lots of listings in HDTV galaxy are marked as 1080i but they are actually upconv.

- The rumours that DirecTV will be adding HD channels in the near future is just that - rumours. The DirecTV representative told me they have no plans to add more HD channels in the near future.

- When I did my homework Voom did not have their current offer for zero installation, no upfront equipment costs and no contract. Hey if I don't like it I can simply cancel the service next month with no problem OK?

and just why did you spend $400 on an HD STB? all it takes is $99 and a call to customer retention. And lastly, D* customer service is NEVER going to release new info on programming before a press release or a up to a few days in advance. You could have called the just after the HD DirecTivo came out, and guess what they would have told you- "I'm sorry sir-it is not available yet"

Well those are valid points but still - the voom offer is a great deal for the programming I am interested in. If DTV comes through with Cinemax, starz, bravo and a bunch of other new channels I can always cancel Voom and re-subscribe to DTV HD. That is - if the price is competitive.

Wow! Earth calling. . .

Are you actually reading any of these messages? I'm as big a geek as the next guy, but even I know that there just isn't enought HD out there to satisfy the casual user. . .

Sure, I could buy the rig tomorrow (Confession. . .already have some of it in place), but it's still not ready for prime time.

We live on the bleeding edge, my friend. If you want to be safe in town, don't become a mountain man. It's lonely, cold, sometimes hostile, and always rewarding out here. . .but it is not for everyone.

What folks are trying to tell you is. . .come back next year. It will be better then. No matter where you go for HD right now, it will suck here unless you love the wilderness.

Dave

I think the original poster is just pissed at the quality of the "D'' HD package which I believe is extremely close if not identicle to the Dish HD package. Common! you've ALL seen some of the crap there passing off as HD.
Steve M.

re TivoFan:
"...- The rumours that DirecTV will be adding HD channels in the near future is just that - rumours. The DirecTV representative told me they have no plans to add more HD channels in the near future.

- When I did my homework Voom did not have their current offer for zero installation, no upfront equipment costs and no contract. Hey if I don't like it I can simply cancel the service next month with no problem OK?"

Then you must have done your homework a long time ago, the VOOM deal has been around for months now.
And it is truly amazing that you were able to so easily reach an authoritative DirecTV executive who spilled the beans about the company's HD plans.
Those top DirecTV execs have always so open about their future plans - even with new subscribers. What a friendly bunch!
I am sure Chase Carey and Eddie Hartenstein -- and maybe even Rupert Murdoch himself -- will be OVERJOYED to know you were able to get such usually proprietary and closely guarded information to be so freely offered -- and so obviously straight from the horse's mouth in El Segundo.
By the way if Showtime HD upset you, and for THAT you are not happy with DirecTV, well shame on you. It upconverts on VOOM and E* and Cox and Comcast and everywhere else, too.
I will take what you say about your extensive "research" at face value and assume it is correct.
But given all that it just goes to show that
a) research should NOT be your chosen field of endeavor
and
b) over a century ago PT Barnum hit it right on the head: There IS a sucker born every minute.

(---And if you truly ARE a TiVo fan, why didn't you at least "research" the DirecTV Hd TiVo?)

Whoa!

fredfa, why the hell do I need a DirecTV HD Tivo? There's no programming to be recorded!

After all, I have to agree with you guys. If I had done more research I would have found out that DirecTV HD sucks.

And if I had posted something here I would have found out that DirecTV forum is full of sad, angry guys, who calls other forum members "suckers".

I spent a couple of hours browsing the Voom forum yesterday. Lots and lots of good advice, very friendly people and a top notch moderator. I guess that's where I belong.

Goodbye.

TivoFan said:
Whoa!

fredfa, why the hell do I need a DirecTV HD Tivo? There's no programming to be recorded!

After all, I have to agree with you guys. If I had done more research I would have found out that DirecTV HD sucks.

I spent a couple of hours browsing the Voom forum yesterday. Lots and lots of good advice, very friendly people and a top notch moderator. I guess that's where I belong.

Goodbye.
Your mind is a terrible thing that's already wasted. How can you choose to be called TivoFan and make such stupid statements? You know not of what you speak! I'm sure you'll totally veg out from boredom while we all enjoy tons of games on NFL Ticket in HD this fall. :eek:

DemisE said:
Wow you guys are harsh.

This is just TV and one persons decision to move from one provider to the other.
You're right...some of these folks from the Voom boards come over here and just like to make arrogant and ridiculous claims and comments...we're all sick of their pompous posts here....they seem to have the crazy notion that they have something that everyone else must want or else be stupid not to join them - nothing could be more opposite from reality and the truth. :yes

DirecTV has much of the same non-proprietary HD channel content as Voom, and certainly has a much better track record of hardware and signal reliability. So the only "upside" in theory, are their proprietary channels - most of which I wouldn't take if you paid me or anyone else I know who's seen them.

I've had local HD network channels in top quality as well through my D*TV hardware for almost 2 years, whereas the Voomers still can't seem to get that straight on their goofy and unreliable hardware.... :D

I'll take my 14 HD quality content channels over Voom's paint-drying and grass-growing boring and lame channels any day. And unlike Voom, D*TV will be in business this time next year. Voomers - get lost- you have your own litterbox all set up for you elsewhere. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)