Directv HD PQ on FOX

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
My pq has been horrible lately when it comes to the local HD stations. However, tonights Carolina/Dolphins game looks fantastic. Is it just me or has the HD PQ improved tonight?

The Steelers game was shown locally in HD in only the Pittsburgh market and the picture looked OK but when they put up stats there was a black line down the left side of the screen were the 4:3 screen would end. It made a terrible static sound as well. I have noticed that it seams to depend on weather the program is local national or live on how good the PQ is. Also the Sunday night game on ESPN looked horrible here.

See here the local HD PQ is awful. But tonight I was pleasantly suprised.

I called D* a couple of times. They said they are unaware of any PQ issues with local HD channels told me it was my equipment. A tech came out said the equipment was fine.

Called again. Tech came out said it was fine. CSR again insisted it was my issue.

Last night I was on hold having all the free stuff they told me they were going to give me as well as the service calls taken off my bill ..anyway..while on hold I looked at the D* site and when the guy said hmmm I really havent had any complaints I said really your web site is littered with them in your Tech help section.

He said tell ya what Im going to do. Im going to fast track this problem. I laughed to myself and said and what exactly does that mean to me?

He said call back in two weeks if you still have PQ issues!

I said look if its just a problem with the satellites tell me Im cool with that I understand there are bugs in new technology. He said well did you mention the tech had told you he had the same problems at his home? I said yes he said that. Then he said then perhaps there is something wrong with the satellites.

I think that was his way of saying something without saying something.

Anyway I urge anyone with a local HD problem to call D* and let them know. Im not talking about screaming and yelling..just let them know.

Same here in SE WI. I actually didn't realize I was watching the D* local channel until a big storm rolled through and the Pic broke up.

Switched channel to OTA and couldn't tell any difference. Except of course for the break up during the storm.

The game was stunning. I get mine OTA but I really did notice how much better the Fox broadcast was. The colors were amazing. HD had the pop again. Nice job Fox and WTIC!!

Did not see the Carolina\Dolphin game, but all the other games look fantastic here in San Diego.

FOX has been the best HD local for me so far. And they were the last to come on-line out here. (i.e. weren't available during the original rollout)

Fox pixilation and other such things

boston area dtv said:
My pq has been horrible lately when it comes to the local HD stations. However, tonights Carolina/Dolphins game looks fantastic. Is it just me or has the HD PQ improved tonight?

I'm in Oakland CA and I cannot watch any Fox sporting events via the MPEG4 outputs on the HD600 or HD100 because of the digital noise that's happening. I use my OTA for Fox HD and the picture is clear as a bell.

I have a 600 and a 100 in the video room for PIP. The 600 is via component and the 100 is via DVI-HDMI. I tried the 100 via DVI on the Fox MPEG4 channel 2 and got the same, but to a lesser degree, digital noise that I get using the 600 via component. This digital noise combination only happens of Fox. None of the other MPEG4 HD stations have this problem.

Is anyone else in the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area having a similar problem?

I'm in the bay area and the game last night was terrible on Fox. So far, when NBC or Fox have televised games in HD, well, they've been crap. Occasionally it looks good, but most of the time the quality isnt good.

I thought KTVU channel 2 looked horrible when I caught part of the Panthers-Dolphins game last night through my H20. Normally, HD locals have looked excellent via D*.

boston area dtv said:
See here the local HD PQ is awful. But tonight I was pleasantly suprised.

I called D* a couple of times. They said they are unaware of any PQ issues with local HD channels told me it was my equipment. A tech came out said the equipment was fine.

Called again. Tech came out said it was fine. CSR again insisted it was my issue.

The problem is, this is both D* and E* stock answer about the HD LIL even if that person has had literally 100s of phone calls about it that day.

They know they have issues, but it's like their failure to admit they do HDLITE, saying its properiatary, which, in essence, admitting a system wide error is.

That admission will never come as it gives more ammo to their competitors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)