DirecTV HD Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not sure why people are finding this so surprising. I'm actually surprised to hear that some new HD installs didn't get the AT9 dish. I've been expecting them to move the HD channels to the new satellites all along. I believe next years NFL Sunday Ticket HD games will be on the new satellites. I don't see how they can add any new HD channels any other way. It just makes sense to use the AT9 dish for any new HD install. Otherwise they'll just be back out to swap it at some later time. Now I agree that this is being done because of future HD channels. However I don't believe they're coming any time soon.

-JustBob

ddobson said:
A friend of mine has a new install to get local HD's in Chicago and to my surprise he's only getting 4 Chicago station. CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox. No UPN or WB yet and none of the independents in HD.
It's been well documented in many threads here that this is a stepping stone process. Since WB & UPN are now going bye-bye and merging into one smaller single channel this fall anyway, DirecTV may have know this in advance, and smartly held out to launch anything else other than the "big 4" locals. As far as PBS - its not even available in HD in many markets.

Satmeister said:
It's been well documented in many threads here that this is a stepping stone process. Since WB & UPN are now going bye-bye and merging into one smaller single channel this fall anyway, DirecTV may have know this in advance, and smartly held out to launch anything else other than the "big 4" locals. As far as PBS - its not even available in HD in many markets.

I doubt that DirecTV knew about The WB and UPN's demise... however, DirecTV might be more inclined to add The CW once it premieres since Tandberg has stated that DirecTV successfully put 6 MPEG4 HD channels on one transponder, and most markets will only have 6 HD channels this Fall compared to the 7 that they have now.

~Alan

ddobson said:
No UPN or WB yet and none of the independents in HD.

After September, they'll be merged... hardly worth D* carrying them now (in every DMA) knowing that in 8 months it's back to the start.

Alan Gordon said:
How many Independents in HD does Chicago have?!

~Alan

WGN-DT (the old WB, now CW), WTTW-DT (PBS and they don't follow the national PBS schedule), WPWR-DT (the old UPN). WCIU-DT is supposed to be in the process of upgrading their plant to handle HD since they carry a number of professional sports showings during the year that would normally be in HD on WGN or Comcast Sportsnet Chicago (which is also HD).

rad said:
WGN-DT (the old WB, now CW), WTTW-DT (PBS and they don't follow the national PBS schedule), WPWR-DT (the old UPN). WCIU-DT is supposed to be in the process of upgrading their plant to handle HD since they carry a number of professional sports showings during the year that would normally be in HD on WGN or Comcast Sportsnet Chicago (which is also HD).

I wasn't counting WB, PBS or UPN affiliates as Independents.

Does WPWR-DT do any HD programming other than UPN programming?! If not, odds are that they probably won't offer HD programming for a while.

WCIU-DT however, is EXACTLY the type I was referring to, though it reminds me of my thoughts on WTBS (WTBS broadcasts Braves games in HD, but nothing else) in that they could offer part time broadcasts (similar to YES-HD). Comcast Sportsnet Chicago would more than likely either be a conus channel (HD sportpack) or could be done the same as what I stated before.

I do notice (I looked up Chicago on Dish Channel Chart that Chicago has three PBS affiliates instead of just the one. That could also prevent a problem for DirecTV, and why they haven't added any more HD channels for the Chicago market.

~Alan

I was bored last night and figured what the hell give it a shot and emailed D* through the D* website.

The email went out BEFORE the rumor here. And while I didnt get any insight on new channels I did roll my eyes and think my god these people really dont have a clue. I have deleted the actual email address and my full name but everything else is the same. Mind you I typed in my account number and it showed up in the email to they know that I have the HD package already with the MPEG4 recvr(HR20)? and the HD DVR (HR10-250?)!

Dear Mr.

Thanks for writing. Local Channels in HD are now available in your area. We can upgrade your DIRECTV system with the right equipment to receive the new HD local channels. To learn more please call us at 800-531-5000, a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your asking about HD equipment. Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city. (If you want to replace your HD DVR, you will need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime in 2006, after we roll out our local HD programming to our first group of cities.)

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about HD programming

Sincerely,

Sharon
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name:
[Account Number: ]
Email Address:
[Topic Selected: Programming]
Subject: HD channels

Details: I have two questions. When will Directv add new national channels in HD?

I dont need an exact date I want to know approximately when. Next month, next fall, next year?

Will the HD channels beamed on MPEG 4 be full HD or will the resolution be downsized as i is now on MPEG 2?
At what point were either of my questions answered?

Last edited:
A guy on the Tallahassee, FL (DMA #109) message board over on AVSForum.com was told by a contractor that DirecTV would be adding HD-LIL for them in a month or two. I told him that the contractor probably didn't know what he was talking about... when the FOX engineer said that, and I qoute:

D* will be in Tallahassee to do the HD sight survey later this month. And if they work like they did for the analog system it will be closer to the end of the year for start up.

I thought it was interesting that DirecTV was already doing a site survey for a sub-100 market...

~Alan

boston area dtv said:
I was bored last night and figured what the hell give it a shot and emailed D* through the D* website.

The email went out BEFORE the rumor here. And while I didnt get any insight on new channels I did roll my eyes and think my god these people really dont have a clue. I have deleted the actual email address and my full name but everything else is the same. Mind you I typed in my account number and it showed up in the email to they know that I have the HD package already with the MPEG4 recvr(HR20)? and the HD DVR (HR10-250?)!

Dear Mr.

Thanks for writing. Local Channels in HD are now available in your area. We can upgrade your DIRECTV system with the right equipment to receive the new HD local channels. To learn more please call us at 800-531-5000, a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your asking about HD equipment. Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city. (If you want to replace your HD DVR, you will need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime in 2006, after we roll out our local HD programming to our first group of cities.)

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about HD programming

Sincerely,

Sharon
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name:
[Account Number: ]
Email Address:
[Topic Selected: Programming]
Subject: HD channels

Details: I have two questions. When will Directv add new national channels in HD?

I dont need an exact date I want to know approximately when. Next month, next fall, next year?

Will the HD channels beamed on MPEG 4 be full HD or will the resolution be downsized as i is now on MPEG 2?
At what point were either of my questions answered?

"HD" and "MPEG4" are the keywords that generated that response. I'd be curious to see if a well crafted email that avoids any potential keywords could generate a more individual response.

OK...so new installs after 2/5 or 2/6 will get the AT9 dish. I understand that.

However, will the new programming (assuming its TNTHD or NGHD or whatever) be MPEG4 are REQUIRE this new dish? The NFL ST too?

I have the 3LNB (paired with the H20) and don't want to upgrade until late spring/summer if possible. I don't want the big-azz AT9 on my garage roof (where the 3LNB is now) and coax-air-run back to the house. I want to pole mount it and trench the coax back to the house and run iit back that way, hence me waiting on warm weather.

Why doesn't D* let subs know whether we have to upgrade to the new dish or not?

They'll let you know when they feel you need to know. Up to this point, the AT9 was used for HD-LILs, and only HD-LILs are available via MPEG4.

Unfortunately, we would like to know ahead of time (of any actual need) so we can start planning wiring, etc. That has never really been the way D* goes about any changes. They always wait for the last possible minute to make announcements so that they always leave as many options on the table as possible.

CPanther95 said:
...Up to this point, the AT9 was used for HD-LILs, and only HD-LILs are available via MPEG4...

So, do we have confirmation from anyone that anything other than HD-LILs will be out and about, (thus requiring the AT9) or is this just speculation? Or is it just that D* will put in the AT9 and not bother with Triple LNB due to "future" MPEG4 expansion...

CPanther95 said:
I think we'll get at least one more year of MPEG2 NFL ST.
I wonder if the AT9 installs and new national channels have nothing to do with each other right now.

Satellites don't care what you send them, they just repeat it back to earth. So the AT9's could just be future-proofing and the reason they didn't do it sooner was related to supply, or lack thereof.

As for new national channels, there should be no reason that D* can't add MPEG-4channels off the current Ku birds. This would be similar to what E* is doing with the new V*5 and ESPN2 and UHD. So all that would be needed is an H20 or HR20 when released to get the new channels.

Panther, are there any estimates of how many HD subs are also ST subs. We know it is less than 700K. So it should be possible for D* to run ST HD in MPEG-4 off the Ku birds. All that would be required would be a receiver swap which would be easily accomplished by September. And by thowing us a couple of bones now, they get some converts now and over the next 6 months get everyone switched out and "Ready for Some Football."

bjs188 said:
Today when I looked at my DIRECTV account online, it would not let me unsubscribe to the HD package. Unless I am mistaken, last week I could uncheck the box. Now I have to call to have it cancelled. Is this new or are they going to try and sucker me to stay with the HD pack?
I see this too. Just a blank space where the HD package used to reside in package changes.

Wow six pages of responses from a post started this morning, has to be some kind of record. Anyways looks like we are all looking forward to anything, something with new HD tied to it. I guess it shows how much we want something new in HD (especially for those who jumped in and got the new dish)

Like someone else said in another post I think alot of us would watch "The Bug Channel" If it was in HD...But as some of the rumors are saying National Geographic?....Well beggars cant be choosers, I guess we will take it. Though how much will that programing will difer from Discovery HD

When it comes to Directv adding or rumored to add any new national HD ch, I find the whole topic depressing. Maybe by the second quarter of 2007 they will be ready.

So let me get this straight...
Starting tomorrow, E* will have 25 national HD channels and D* will have 8. D* won't be adding any more for another year (not counting locals).

As I read it, its 30 counting the HD promos (not needed). Too much over-repetitive eye candy on Dish, but they are trying. HDNews, please, really? DirecTV has 13 (D) = on DirecTV

9420 TNT HD
9421 Discovery HD Theater (D)
9422 HDNet (D)
9423 HD Net Movies (D)
9424 ESPN HD (D)
9425 ESPN2 HD (D)
9427 Universal HD (D)
9428 PPV HD also on 9467 (D)
9443 Dish HDTV Demo Channel (not needed)
9456 HBO HD East (D)
9460 Showtime HD East (D)
9464 NFL Network HD part-time, same here? (D)
9465 HD Event (D)
9466 NBA HD part-time, same here? (D)
9467 HD Pay Per View also on 9428 (D)
9470 Rave HD
9471 Equator HD
9472 Gallery HD
9473 Treasure HD
9474 Animania HD
9475 World Cinema HD
9476 Rush HD
9477 WorldSport HD
9478 Ultra HD
9479 KungFU HD
9480 Film Fest HD
9481 Monsters HD
9482 HDNews (not needed)
9485 Game Play HD
9486 Family Room HD

Last edited:
scotsmanron said:
Service in this country is a forgotten word. D* included. To get anywhere you usually have to bitch. I HATE having to do that. Just be upfront with me. The email saying that HD channels are expensive....and what is supposed to happen when ALL of them have to be HD??? Are we supposed to cry for you? If your company can't handle this then get out of the business.

Hear, Hear! :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)