DirecTV HD Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mdog73 said:
I had DTV installed superbowl morning. the guy was here for nearly 5 hours. he said the dish was close to 40 pounds. He did a good job from what I can tell. I think its the 5lnb dish. it looks like it from the pics. I watched him go through the setup on the tv and he said the sat wasn't on there yet so i think he chose the 3lnb. It came with the H20.

Watched the superbowl in HD but the sound was about a quarter second off, anyone else experince this with the HD receiver?

does it look like this ?

and this
?

Yes it looks like that.

and he ran setup before the update, but it started updating automatically while he was here. Not sure if he went back and looked for the correct sat I was in another room checking out the DVR

hdtvtechno said:
does it look like this ?

and this
?
From the way that dish is set up, it looks like you can take the LNB's off for 110 and 119, as if D* will eventually get rid of those satellites in the future, and just stick with 103, 101, 99. What do you guys think?

Doctor Bob said:
Yup, they will have 150 HD Channels by the end of the year, but not all in one area!!! LOL They don't Lie, they just don't know how to explain the whole truth! LOL

They will be broadcasting 150 HD Local Channels, by the end of the year!!! Now nobody has 150 local channels in their area, do they??? RONTGLMAO.... So between the 50 states, there will be 150 HD Channels being broadcast...

I had reason to contact customer retention yesterday, (btw, I love dealing with these people, they are great) where I specifically asked a few pointed question. First I asked about the 5 LNB dish and yes all the new installs are supposed to get them, and because I got mine a couple of weeks ago, I'm schedule for the 13th now. I also asked about the new MPEG 4 DVR, she said they are being told May, but she is hoping April as the CSR training has really ramped up on that piece of equipment. I asked about the HMO, she said they have nothing as of yet. She did offer two NEW things that I had not heard of: A sports "pod" that is going to be specifically for use for those of us that tailgate. She didn't have all the particulars but said that it was supposed to be a lot more easy than what I do now--taking a receiver, dish and generator to the parking lot. The other item was an option of some type for downloadable games to be able to be played on the DVR.

I also asked about new HD channels and this "150" number. Yes, it will be national channels she said. They hope to have what is available right now up by the end of the year, and then start pushing all the rest up.

I never felt like I was being "handed a line". She stated that she too, was an HD customer, with X type LCD, and X model surround. She knew what she was talking about. She also stated her own frustration in waiting for newer HD channels, but she felt confident it wasn't going to be all that much longer that we would start seeing some movement.

Just for grins, I asked about my MPEG4 delivery here in Tallahassee, seems we are on the list now for July-September. I was stunned as we are way down on the market list. Seems that there is no rhyme or reason to which markets go in when.

at 9

Was not due till april here in pittsburgh but called retention and am having dish install on 15th cost 99 dollars with instant credit 99 dollars 14.95 ship and handling and with 5 dollar discount for 6 months cost 30 dollars minus 15dollars so I ended up with all for 15 dollar credit.

mdog73 said:
I had DTV installed superbowl morning. the guy was here for nearly 5 hours. he said the dish was close to 40 pounds. He did a good job from what I can tell. I think its the 5lnb dish. it looks like it from the pics. I watched him go through the setup on the tv and he said the sat wasn't on there yet so i think he chose the 3lnb. It came with the H20.
Boy, did he screw up! The satellite at the 103 degree position is there, but the 99 sat is still en route. However, other than getting an error message at the guided setup confirmation, the "missing" satellite will not affect the operation of the H20.

I thought he found the physical satellite the dish just was not on the software yet. I will play with the setup tonight and see what it says now since there was some kind of update after his initial setup.

scotsmanron said:
IJust for grins, I asked about my MPEG4 delivery here in Tallahassee, seems we are on the list now for July-September. I was stunned as we are way down on the market list. Seems that there is no rhyme or reason to which markets go in when.
WOW! At #109 that would be a coup!

Rumor has it the Spaceways have room for 500 channels. So that is 50 markets of 10 channels or 125 markets of 4 channels. Since they don't seem to be adding any of the "other" channels and just the big 4, it would seem possible that they could do 100+ markets this year.

scotsmanron said:
I also asked about new HD channels and this "150" number. Yes, it will be national channels she said. They hope to have what is available right now up by the end of the year, and then start pushing all the rest up.

Just for grins, I asked about my MPEG4 delivery here in Tallahassee, seems we are on the list now for July-September. I was stunned as we are way down on the market list. Seems that there is no rhyme or reason to which markets go in when.

I am convinced that they really have no idea what NATIONAL CHANNELS really means to US; therefore they are unknowingly mis-speaking. There WILL NOT be 150; 75, 60 or even 50 NATIONAL HD channels by year end (I count Voom as 1/its a package), they DO NOT exist yet for them (DirecTV, Echostar, or cable) to try to add. It is just a lack of understanding how WE the users mean "national" vs how THEY mean it. It is no conspiracy, just the usage of the word. The actual CAPACITY that they have could also be what they are referring to, and that would be accurate even though unused at the time.

I agree with the above; once 99.0w is parked, tested and handed to DirecTV, they could light up the vast majority of HD locals. I also say it will be the 4 major networks for now; which is very smart seeing how WB and UPN are merging and that needs to shake all the way out before anything is committed to them, or us.

Last edited:
And let's not forget that 103 is currently retransmitting SD locals for Honolulu, Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau, so some of the spot-beam capacity on Spaceway 1 will not be used for HD.

Dumb question: Since they are sending locals in to AK and HI and since you need both an AT9 and an H20, why did they not go ahead and send the digital versions? If, of course, available.;)

herdfan said:
Dumb question: Since they are sending locals in to AK and HI and since you need both an AT9 and an H20, why did they not go ahead and send the digital versions? If, of course, available.;)
Yeah according to www.antennaweb.org (and each channels website) they are available.

charper1 said:
I am convinced that they really have no idea what NATIONAL CHANNELS really means to US; therefore they are unknowingly mis-speaking. There WILL NOT be 150; 75, 60 or even 50 NATIONAL HD channels by year end (I count Voom as 1/its a package), they DO NOT exist yet for them (DirecTV, Echostar, or cable) to try to add. It is just a lack of understanding how WE the users mean "national" vs how THEY mean it. It is no conspiracy, just the usage of the word. The actual CAPACITY that they have could also be what they are referring to, and that would be accurate even though unused at the time.

I agree with the above; once 99.0w is parked, tested and handed to DirecTV, they could light up the vast majority of HD locals. I also say it will be the 4 major networks for now; which is very smart seeing how WB and UPN are merging and that needs to shake all the way out before anything is committed to them, or us.

I talked to this CSR for a long time. I mentioned a lot of the things that we have talked about here....my wanting TBS, others wanting TNT and NG plus the waste of CD-USA plus your comment of their not being 150 HD channels yet. She addressed that. She said "of course there aren't 150 HD channels out there right now. A lot of them are going to be up sampled". Her comment though was "what IS there would be up by the end of the year. That leads me to believe that anything that is in HD now we will have by the end of December. I understand that is still 10.5 months, but the way the first part of the year has gone by Christmas will be here before you can blink.

Maybe I'm too trusting but she really sounded like she knew what she was talking about. I didn't get silence on the end of the line when I mentioned TBS HD because of the Braves.

Lets give them a chance to live up to what they are promising.

Has anyone seen this? If you go to http://www.mhd.tv and click on Get MHD you get the following after filling out your ZIP and service provider.

Congratulations! MHD is coming soon!
Thanks to DIRECTV you'll be able to see MHD as part of its HD line-up.

JPShinn said:
Sometime in 2098, according to the website . . .

When you select Dish or Comcast it says...

Unfortunately, there is no agreement (paraphrased.)

I would say that the fact D* has an agreement is significant.

Hopefully!

raw121 said:
Has anyone seen this? If you go to http://www.mhd.tv and click on Get MHD you get the following after filling out your ZIP and service provider.

Congratulations! MHD is coming soon!
Thanks to DIRECTV you'll be able to see MHD as part of its HD line-up.

I received the same message. So I tried listing Comcast as my provider to see if that was a response that everyone would get to just hype the channel. The site replied that Comcast in my area had not come to an agreement for the channel yet. So I would assume that D* has an agreement but it could be like the ESPN2HD agreement and not show up for a while.

JPShinn said:
Sometime in 2098, according to the website . . .

I thought you were joking, but I got the same answer. Hilarious. It seems like they put a lot of work into their website too. 2098 seems a bit far out there for me.

-JustBob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)