Directv HR20 1080P leaked

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay, yeah, it's neat and all, but my questions:
1- How "commonplace" is DLI (Optical HDMI)? Is this something I can pickup at CC or BB? Never seen it, much less heard of it, so truly don't know.
2- 100 Hours recording...claims this is twice as much as HR20. Is this based on the MPEG4 calculation of space? I thought the HR20 only could handle about 30-40 hours HD. So my math would put this as "more than 2x the HR20."
3- I assume the rack mounts are removable for those customers who don't have rack rooms/closets for their gear...?
4- Like the H21, why does this not have the ATSC tuner built-in? I would think that if this unit was truly built for the high-end consumer, they would throw every friggin bell and whistle into this thing that they had space for. :p
5- I don't suppose they would consider a free upgrade from HR10-250 to this baby, huh? :D

Okay, yeah, it's neat and all, but my questions:
1- How "commonplace" is DLI (Optical HDMI)? Is this something I can pickup at CC or BB? Never seen it, much less heard of it, so truly don't know.
2- 100 Hours recording...claims this is twice as much as HR20. Is this based on the MPEG4 calculation of space? I thought the HR20 only could handle about 30-40 hours HD. So my math would put this as "more than 2x the HR20."
3- I assume the rack mounts are removable for those customers who don't have rack rooms/closets for their gear...?
4- Like the H21, why does this not have the ATSC tuner built-in? I would think that if this unit was truly built for the high-end consumer, they would throw every friggin bell and whistle into this thing that they had space for. :p
5- I don't suppose they would consider a free upgrade from HR10-250 to this baby, huh? :D

Atp,
As for #2 on your list, I don't think the HD size was listed, it could have a larger HD in it, not much, but larger none the less.

And YES, it pi**es me off that a simple OTA tuner is not in it. I will probably NOT get one when available because of this.... Therefore I cannot record my OTA channels .....btw, they don't offer my locals in HD yet and I cannot understand why I would want to pay extra for channels I get free already.

Jimbo

Most of you guys would NOT buy one of these. The cost on this professional unit is going to be over the $1,000 mark.

There is another HR21 coming out that will be a non pro model. I have not heard anything on the internal hard drive size, the only thing I know is it will not have a ATSC OTA tuner in it.

1080p?? :haha

From the article at engadget
"The DVR will reportedly handle 100 hours of high-def recording and output it at 1080p over optical HDMI, but lacks any over-the-air antenna in."
The Hi-rez pic. clearly shows 1080P as the last rez on the right of the box.....now the question is if 1080p is worth it or not...some perceve it
as the ultimate...

Last edited:
From the article at engadget
"The DVR will reportedly handle 100 hours of high-def recording and output it at 1080p over optical HDMI, but lacks any over-the-air antenna in."
The Hi-rez pic. clearly shows 1080P as the last rez on the right of the box.....now the question is if 1080p is worth it or not...some perceve it
as the ultimate...

Moonman,
I think vurbano is referring to the one that will be available to us everyday users, not the Proffesional model, that model may or may not be 1080p seeingwe have no info on it yet.

Jimbo

Bah, with my $200 750 GB eSATA drive kit, my HR20 hums along at 75 to 125 HD hours. Its on both component to avoid HDCP crap and HDMI for certain TV scenarios pumped throughout my house. I use optical audio pumped to a Dolby 7.1 receiver. OTA as well. I dont need that thing. 1080p? Unless we see 1080p HD channels, not worth it at all.

Good find though. ;)

-------------------------
How about VOD in 1080P?

Even less likely. Its hard enough to download 720p stuff. No way you can do 1080p over internet unless its pushed via sat. I wouldnt worry about it yet. Give it a few years for providers to get 720p/1080i right at full rez. Right Vurbano?

There is another HR21 coming out that will be a non pro model. I have not heard anything on the internal hard drive size, the only thing I know is it will not have a ATSC OTA tuner in it.
---------------------
Scott, I think this model(non-pro), will draw a TON of interest!! Please let us
know when/if you find anything (specs-release dates etc) out ??? THANKS:)

Moonman,
I think vurbano is referring to the one that will be available to us everyday users, not the Proffesional model, that model may or may not be 1080p seeingwe have no info on it yet.

Jimbo
No Vurbano is reffering to the fact that it doesnt exist for any TV transmission. You are simply paying for a scalar in your box that a 1080p set already has. OMG I would give my left nut for great 1080i from D*. ANd now theyput something out with 1080p output? It makes me chuckle.

Even less likely. Its hard enough to download 720p stuff. No way you can do 1080p over internet unless its pushed via sat. I wouldnt worry about it yet. Give it a few years for providers to get 720p/1080i right at full rez. Right Vurbano?
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Anytime I see articles about Super HD, 1080p, 3D, etc. I just cringe. I just want providers to get 720p/1080i right, more studios filming in HD, and more channels getting carried and showing more proper 720p/1080i shows. I even want studios to go back to older source films and convert them like HDNet has. So forget the newer better stuff, there is a ton of work to be done making 720p/1080i proper and pervasive.

---------------------
Scott, I think this model(non-pro), will draw a TON of interest!! Please let us
know when/if you find anything (specs-release dates etc) out ??? THANKS:)

Didn't that linked article mention (or was it printed on the flyer itself) that this unti would be available beginning in November? Merry Xmas everyone!

Didn't that linked article mention (or was it printed on the flyer itself) that this unti would be available beginning in November? Merry Xmas everyone!
-------------------
I think that Nov. date was for the "Professional" model...HR-20P. At over $1,000
I'll wait for the regular consumer model HR-21 without a OTA tuner, smaller
H/D and no 1080P. I expect it to come in around the usual $ 99.00 mark for new subs. You can always add a eSata external drive if you need more recording room. Don't need a OTA tuner either...my TV has one built-in(Directv one). as for 1080P I think it will be a long time before any broadcaster uses it
on a regular basis.

1080P would be very useful for us 1080p TV owners since some of us has overscan issues on 1080i. Being able to output at 1080p would be great. I have a Vizio GV47LF and it does do 1:1 pixel mapping on 1080p, but has major overscan issues on 1080i and very little on 720p, which means I have to set my Comcast box on 720p to get a regular pic. I am getting D* in the next month or so when I move into my new house so this would be great. Although the lack of a OTA tuner would be a deal breaker, since no HD locals in Charleston,SC yet.

1080p is a waste of bandwith right now at least to me. I want more channels in 720p than to waste bandwith on channels for 1080p.

Not going to buy a 1080p unit until channels are a few channels are in 1080p and I get my 1080p projector. Ill be skipping this one.

Id like some FULL resolution 1080i and 720p channels before providers even start worrying with 1080p.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)