DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks, I think I will get rid of my Dish Network system. I currently have 2 722 DVR's, each connected to 2 TV's. I think the HR34 will be a better system.
Hardware isn't everythng and the HR34 has some issues to be worked out. If DIRECTV programming suits you better, that's the reason to change.

I don't have Directv at this moment. I'm still with Dish until I order the new Directv HR34. I heard that I will need HD boxes on the other 3 TV's for the HR34 to connect to them. How will they be able to use the DVR functions from the HR34?
Using DIRECTV's existing "Whole Home DVR Service" (as opposed to their non-existent RVU facility).

Will the HR34 be able to be used with a single cable from the dish to the house? I have only one cable running from my dish to my house and its under ground and will not fit another cable.

yes. The HR34 is SWM only so there is one line from the LNB to the receiver

I don't have Directv at this moment. I'm still with Dish until I order the new Directv HR34. I heard that I will need HD boxes on the other 3 TV's for the HR34 to connect to them. How will they be able to use the DVR functions from the HR34?

you would use the whole home setup. They will give you H25's which are full function receivers and can "tap" into the DVR on the HR34

By DirecTV current method of using their MRV DECA Cloud. You can schedule a record, play a record and delete a record that's on any HR (DVR Receiver) from any H (non-DVR Reiver) while on the DECA Cloud.

I believe that the 7000 and 8000 models both received the firmware that supports RVU on monday but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet

I upgraded my PN59D8000 to version 1024 on Monday evening. There was no change, in other words it still does not see the HR34. I can't speak for the LED line, since my set is plasma, but I would expect it is similar. I still cant believe that they have not activated this feature on the 7000 and 8000 series yet, since they are at the top of the range.

Hardware isn't everythng and the HR34 has some issues to be worked out. If DIRECTV programming suits you better, that's the reason to change.

I have used my HR34 for over a week and have been very happy, haven't had any "issues." I replaced a HR24 that I really liked with this HR34, but it was for the 5 tuners. It is really nice to be able to record 4 things, and watch live TV.

Iceberg said:
yes. The HR34 is SWM only so there is one line from the LNB to the receiver

Hey Mr. Iceberg, here is my setup now:

5-LNB dish, four cables come into the house and into a powered 4x8 multiswitch.

Three HR2x DVRs connected with 2 cables each to the multiswitch.

If I add an HR34, what exactly needs to be replaced by the DirecTV installer? Just the multiswitch, or will they need to do something with the dish?

They will swap the LNB out on the dish. But if you are keeping the 3 DVR's and adding the HR34 then it requires the SWM16 setup as you'd be at 11 tuners. The good thing is each receiver only needs one cable from the switch

Iceberg said:
They will swap the LNB out on the dish. But if you are keeping the 3 DVR's and adding the HR34 then it requires the SWM16 setup as you'd be at 11 tuners. The good thing is each receiver only needs one cable from the switch

Yes, I'm definitely keeping the 3 existing DVRs. My dish is up high on a two story house... Should I mention that when I order? Wouldn't want tE installer to be surprised and not have a tall enough ladder! :)

Iceberg said:
it wouldnt hurt but most installers carry a long extension ladder

Ok. I suppose the existing 4 wires from the dish remain in use, huh? Then all distribution of the signal will continue to originate from where it does now (behind my entertainment center)?

With the SWM16 yeah they'll need all 4 lines so scratch part of what I said...they wont switch anything out at the dish. Its all done inside

Haha, I wish. My back has been po'd this week, woke up at 3:30 and could not fall back to sleep.

Its bad enough Im watching Masters of the Universe (1987) on Sho2 right now :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)