DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sleepraider said:
where did you learn that?

Man, you need to read this part of harshness' quote, and believe him

"ABANDON ALL HOPE OF VIEWING IT USING SOME OTHER DEVICE OR SOFTWARE."

What you are wanting to do WILL NOT WORK with the HR34.

DIRECTV has specifically designed their hardware to be a CLOSED system.

What you are wanting to do WILL NOT WORK with the HR34.
Nor any other DVR that has a DIRECTV tuner built in.
DIRECTV has specifically designed their hardware to be a CLOSED system.
Actually it goes beyond being a closed system in that it won't even work with an identical DVR.

DISH's setup is more along the lines of a closed system in that as long as you're using a similar HD DVR, you can continue to view the programming.

Any idea of pricing?
I am currently not in a contract, and I am seeing the offer for the once a year chance to buy an HD DCR for $99 instead of $199.

On the other site, there are some saying they've been offered today the HR34 for $399 with a $300 rebate. But the terms of the rebate seem to be vague at this point.

I just got off the phone with DT CSR about the HR-34 and was shocked. I've been with DTV for a little over a 2 weeks and did qualify for the upgrade BUT you have to pay the total cost up front which is like $400 plus then I get the $300 rebate, THEN the $50 equipment upgrade fee PLUS installation fee of $49.95. I said NO THANKS!! I'll keep my HR-24.

This part: THEN the $50 equipment upgrade fee

is because you've only been with them a little while, most accounts won't have that charge.
It showed up on my account because I had an upgrade last fall, but they waived it.

I guess this is probably a stupid question.. but maybe.. just maybe it's not.
What about my team's 12 games a season. If I DVR those, can i burn them to a DVD RW I hook up via s-video out? Or let me say this.. using any method-- what's the best way to get a high def version of 1 game at a time, 12 games a season? Can I burn a 1080i version?

Sorry if this stuff is stupid, not my realm of nerdiness.

What about my team's 12 games a season. If I DVR those, can i burn them to a DVD RW I hook up via s-video out? Or let me say this.. using any method-- what's the best way to get a high def version of 1 game at a time, 12 games a season? Can I burn a 1080i version?

You could hook the receiver up to a stand alone DVD recorder via a S-Video cable or composite cable and record from the DVR in SD. As far as doing it in HD, I do not think you could do that.

SWM only

very cool :)

Noticed its SWM only (on the pics)

Pretty much a noob when it comes to all this stuff, but what does it only being "SWM" mean? I am currently using a single HR24/500, only 1 receiver in home, so will I be able to just connect this right up in place of my HR24?

Thanks

Maybe. SWM means single wire multiswitch. Hit dash (bottom left) on your remote and see if it says "SWiM Connected" or not.

Or let me say this.. using any method-- what's the best way to get a high def version of 1 game at a time, 12 games a season? Can I burn a 1080i version?
Obviously, you can't burn a 1080i DVD.

You may be able to use a component capture device* connected to a computer to grab an analog HD signal. As you might expect, to make something that will play HD without a computer, you'll need to burn a Blu-ray.

* do a site search for "capture"

Just got my HR34 installed today. Two questions. Is anyone else having issues with caller ID? Every so often, unavailable will pop up for no reason at all. When a real call comes in, the caller ID works fine. Also, what remote did you get with yours? I received an RC65X and didn't notice it until the installer had left. I called DTV, and they said that it doesn't come with the RF remote. However, the spec sheet says that it does.

Just got my HR34 installed today. Two questions. Is anyone else having issues with caller ID? Every so often, unavailable will pop up for no reason at all. When a real call comes in, the caller ID works fine. Also, what remote did you get with yours? I received an RC65X and didn't notice it until the installer had left. I called DTV, and they said that it doesn't come with the RF remote. However, the spec sheet says that it does.

I just got mine today and it didn't have a remote. The RC65X for my HR24 works fine with it and if you want RF just go to setup and change it. Menu-System Setup-Remote Control-Program Remote-Advanced-IR/RF Setup.

I capture HD on my computer using an Avermedia HDDVR (have done it with Dish & Comcast as well as DirecTV). Connected by component you can record live or when playing back a recording and it records in 1080. You can also check out the internal Hauppauge Colossus or their USB card which is essentially the same as the Avermedia but a little more expensive, but I think they have SPDIF inputs and the Avermedia only records stereo. All these cards have HDMI inputs but you have to use the Component Inputs to avoid the HDCP crap which will prevent recordings from any providers. The Homerun Prime is also available now that I understand is similar.

These are really your only bets for HD.

I just got mine today and it didn't have a remote. The RC65X for my HR24 works fine with it and if you want RF just go to setup and change it. Menu-System Setup-Remote Control-Program Remote-Advanced-IR/RF Setup.

I'm pretty sure you need the RC65RX to get RF. The RC65X is IR only. I was able to get my semi broken RC64RX to connect to it. Ebay has a bunch for cheap. Just trying to decide whether I want the backlit one or not. So far I haven't had problems finding the buttons in the dark.

BTW, did you get any cables in the box? I have plenty of extra HDMI cables, but it would have been good to get an audio cable as it does not support optical audio like my old HR20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)