DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nor any other DVR that has a DIRECTV tuner built in.Actually it goes beyond being a closed system in that it won't even work with an identical DVR.

DISH's setup is more along the lines of a closed system in that as long as you're using a similar HD DVR, you can continue to view the programming.

I think even changing access cards in the same DVR will affect it.

I'm pretty sure you need the RC65RX to get RF. The RC65X is IR only. I was able to get my semi broken RC64RX to connect to it. Ebay has a bunch for cheap. Just trying to decide whether I want the backlit one or not. So far I haven't had problems finding the buttons in the dark.

BTW, did you get any cables in the box? I have plenty of extra HDMI cables, but it would have been good to get an audio cable as it does not support optical audio like my old HR20.

I hadn't tried the RF since I didn't need it, so after your post gave it a shot and it doesn't work even though the option is on the menu. Just a tip, get the backlit one, when you get to my age you can't find anything in the dark (or can't remember why you were looking for it).:(

No coax cables, just component, analog a/v and hdmi. I don't think anyone includes coax or optical anymore because of hdmi, but surprised they have coax instead of optical on the unit. You can use one of the component cables until you can get coax.

I hadn't tried the RF since I didn't need it, so after your post gave it a shot and it doesn't work even though the option is on the menu. Just a tip, get the backlit one, when you get to my age you can't find anything in the dark (or can't remember why you were looking for it).:(

No coax cables, just component, analog a/v and hdmi. I don't think anyone includes coax or optical anymore because of hdmi, but surprised they have coax instead of optical on the unit. You can use one of the component cables until you can get coax.

I didn't get any cables at all. Only thing in the box was the HR34 and a power cable. The spec sheet says it comes with RF remote, HDMI, component, and audio cables. Perhaps new customers get that and upgrade customers just get the receiver. Not too worried about it. Haven't powered up the home theater amp in months.

Do you use caller ID? Have any issues with it?

BTW, the reason they may have left the optical out is to avoid having to pay royalties to Toshiba.

I didn't get any cables at all. Only thing in the box was the HR34 and a power cable. The spec sheet says it comes with RF remote, HDMI, component, and audio cables. Perhaps new customers get that and upgrade customers just get the receiver. Not too worried about it. Haven't powered up the home theater amp in months.

Do you use caller ID? Have any issues with it?

BTW, the reason they may have left the optical out is to avoid having to pay royalties to Toshiba.

No caller ID, no land line. Mine was essentially an upgrade since I had an HR24 installed on the 1st as a new customer and just called them on the 10th and asked for the upgrade and the agreed to it at no charge since I was still in the 14 day window.

No caller ID, no land line. Mine was essentially an upgrade since I had an HR24 installed on the 1st as a new customer and just called them on the 10th and asked for the upgrade and the agreed to it at no charge since I was still in the 14 day window.

Have you checked your bill? Mine was supposed to be free, but somehow they "rejected" the credit after I agreed to the contract extension. Got it back, but had to fight for it.

Have you checked your bill? Mine was supposed to be free, but somehow they "rejected" the credit after I agreed to the contract extension. Got it back, but had to fight for it.

No charges showing yet. I'm still a new customer so my situation was different. They tried to deny my referral credit but I got that straightened out (I had screenshots of the order process and an e-mail showing the credit). You really have to wonder about their accounting systems and the people running them. I have yet to see one of these providers that actually has any efficiency in this regard.

All these cards have HDMI inputs but you have to use the Component Inputs to avoid the HDCP crap which will prevent recordings from any providers.
As most STBs go dark on the analog outputs when presented with protected content, component is NOT the answer to the problem.

As most STBs go dark on the analog outputs when presented with protected content, component is NOT the answer to the problem.

I don't know what you are using for a basis for this statement, but did you not get the point that I have done this with STBs from Dish, Comcast and now DirecTV and the HR34 as well as my BD player, all in 1080i. I haven't found any content I cannot record. So, Component is the answer, yours is not.

I didn't have anything else in my HR34 box (new customer) other than the power cable either. It was Directv sealed, and the installer handed me the remote and HDMI cable. I did not get an RF remote and actually there is a sticker on the box that says that the 65X (IF) was standard and the RF remote was optional. Was I supposed to get a RF remote?

I don't know what you are using for a basis for this statement, but did you not get the point that I have done this with STBs from Dish, Comcast and now DirecTV and the HR34 as well as my BD player, all in 1080i. I haven't found any content I cannot record. So, Component is the answer, yours is not.
Back in the early days of the HR20, occasionally, the DVR would get an idea in its head that the content was protected and the analog ports would go black. This is one of the two methods of dealing with content protection. The other is to reduce the output to SD. DIRECTV seems to have chosen the path of cutting the signal.

Since your exposure to content protection has been limited, you may never have seen a problem but rest assured, as the industry moves to close the analog hole, it will become more prevalent.

Back in the early days of the HR20, occasionally, the DVR would get an idea in its head that the content was protected and the analog ports would go black. This is one of the two methods of dealing with content protection. The other is to reduce the output to SD. DIRECTV seems to have chosen the path of cutting the signal.

They are not going to "blacken" the component ports since many subscribers have older HDTVs (and projectors) that can only use component for HD - that's why the ports are there. D* is not blocking anything right now AFAIK since I'm getting the HD component feed from the HR34 to my capture card with no problem. I even checked the subscription channels including HBO and there was no blockage (at least on what I was tuned into at the time).

Since your exposure to content protection has been limited, you may never have seen a problem but rest assured, as the industry moves to close the analog hole, it will become more prevalent.

"Limited exposure"? - both sat providers & comcast including ppv and subcription channels, blu-ray. Gee, I'd think I may have run into copyright protection somewhere there.

I posted originally to answer a question about how to move the HD content. My response is valid and proven. I'm curious as to those of you that try to diss the solution if you have actually ever tried it?

Woo-Hoo! My HR-34 was installed today! Hat's off to DirecTV; I only ordered it yesterday afternoon and the tech came at 10:00 this morning and was finished by 11:00. Thanks to the SatelitteGuys community I also got it at a nice discount, even though I was only on-board nine months. I love having PIP again, but have not been doing much recording as there's not much showing up in my guide yet. 1100 Cinema also isn't available yet. I 'll wait until tomorrow and will try the work-a-round that was mentioned in an earlier post if I have to. I do already miss the HD-GUI and Pandora. So, let's hope that there is a new CE release this weekend!

I have a few quick questions for you guys:

1). Is there a way to force the Guide to populate or do I just have to wait it out?
2). For those of you that have had yours, was the last CE stable and did it include Pandora?
3). I received a welcome screen that said I had YouTube, but I don't see it anywhere. Do I just have to wait it out or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. ya gotta wait. It will populate overnight
3. it shows up usually 24 hours after install/upgrade of software

I posted originally to answer a question about how to move the HD content. My response is valid and proven.
Dubbing of video tapes used to be a valid and proven method of copying videtapes until copy protections (i.e. Macrovision) were added.

Content protection use has been limited thus far, but it may become more and more prevalent as the analog hole tightening proceeds. As jcrandall has noted earlier, DIRECTV already implements content protection on the PPV channels. Comcast is also flagging content.

DIRECTV can't save the people that are using component equipment if the time comes. A law to the effect would require them to implement it whether their customers are ready or not.

I didn't have anything else in my HR34 box (new customer) other than the power cable either. It was Directv sealed, and the installer handed me the remote and HDMI cable. I did not get an RF remote and actually there is a sticker on the box that says that the 65X (IF) was standard and the RF remote was optional. Was I supposed to get a RF remote?

I also did not get a remote when HR34 was installed (I was replacing HR-20, so the old remote worked) when I checked "What's in the box" and it said IR/RF remote, I called DTV, they said if I paid for installation (which I did) then IR/RF Remote should have been delivered, so they sent one. I got it in two days it was an IR/RF Back-lit remote

OK, I have had my HR34 since Monday. I still have the old guide and I am wondering is there anyway for me to get the software update or do I just wait?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts