DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just reread your post. I would like to post a pic for you but not going to Climb up on the roof to get a picture. I could pm you my address and you could look at Google earth?
Yes I have dish network. Looking at 110 and 119. When it get really windy my picture starts to pixelation.
Later,

John

John, after seeing your post a few up, I understand as you weren't pointing at the 101 at all.

Been a while since I've posted frequently, so not sure how to do multi-quotes.
Regardless, in #250 you stated 101, 119 and 129 for Dish. A bit different than 110. Which is what I was addressing.
Not a big deal; except the fact 101 is 9 degrees further south. Furthermore the 99 is even further than that. So those two factors may have been why the D* installer couldn't make things happen even though he has a working E* system

I realized my error after re reading Johns post earlier ...

I was thinking Dish uses 101 but its 110, my bad.

All - just a quick note I wanted to add in regards to ordering the HR34. There certainly remains quite a bit of confusion with the sales reps on what that actually is. It seems my conversation immediately took a turn for the worst when I specifically asked for an "HR34" to be installed. Apparently the reps understand "HMC" or "the device that allows you to record 5 shows at one time" - but NOT "HR34" - LOL. She immediately had to ask someone else for any info regarding the HR34, and then of course, said Samsung only.... which I knew not to be true. So I kindly persisted, waited on hold for 10 minutes, and spoke with a gentleman (apparently in tech troubleshooting dept. or something) that immediately agreed with what I was saying and said the order could proceed with an HR34. When getting back with the sales rep, she then admitted to not knowing the HMC and HR34 were the same thing. Just giving everyone a heads up on this, maybe it can save you 20 minutes like it could have saved me today.

Anyways, I have been a long, long time Dish customer. But the lack of 3D content (had my 3D tv for 2 years now), is too much for me to handle any more. I mean, my DAD has 3D content from DirecTV and won't stop talking about how mesmerizing 3D is on it! I *only* have 2 HDTV's in the house. Main room, and back bedroom. So it's going to be an HR34 (read HMC) on the main HDTV, and an HD receiver on the secondary HDTV. I am really looking forward to the capabilities of this HMC unit. 5 shows at once is an AWESOME game changer for me and the wife. It's been a delicate walk on the edge of the precipice of DOOM I tell you, to only have the capability of recording 2 shows at a time!

We are getting the HR34 (a.k.a. HMC ) for $99. Not bad at all. The DirecTV rep - although not fully familiar with the new gear (understandable) - was extremely courteous. I was simply calling for info, and she answered every single one of my questions. Ended up agreeing to a 2 year contract and an install on Wednesday! Also, I asked about the ETF I would have to pay Dish for leaving 6 months early. I was sent to retentions (funny b/c I was a DirecTV customer for all of 30 seconds when I was transferred to them) and they kindly offered a $5 discount for TWENTY FOUR MONTHS off my bill. That more than pays for the ETF and is an excellent pre-cursor of our new relationship with a Satellite TV provider. I also gave them the account number of my Dad who literally did refer me to them, and soon we will both enjoy $10/mo. off our bill for 10 months. That's awesome.

Question: what's this talk of eHDD's or what? external HDD's can be added to the HR34? We currently have a Dish ViP 722 with an external 750Gb hdd on it, but the external drive is just to dump movies and tons of old recorded shows onto. We never run out of room on the Dish DVR proper.... Any HDD info would be appreciated. Need to know now if I have to buy a good hard drive.

All - just a quick note I wanted to add in regards to ordering the HR34. There certainly remains quite a bit of confusion with the sales reps on what that actually is. It seems my conversation immediately took a turn for the worst when I specifically asked for an "HR34" to be installed. Apparently the reps understand "HMC" or "the device that allows you to record 5 shows at one time" - but NOT "HR34" - LOL. She immediately had to ask someone else for any info regarding the HR34, and then of course, said Samsung only.... which I knew not to be true. So I kindly persisted, waited on hold for 10 minutes, and spoke with a gentleman (apparently in tech troubleshooting dept. or something) that immediately agreed with what I was saying and said the order could proceed with an HR34. When getting back with the sales rep, she then admitted to not knowing the HMC and HR34 were the same thing. Just giving everyone a heads up on this, maybe it can save you 20 minutes like it could have saved me today.

Anyways, I have been a long, long time Dish customer. But the lack of 3D content (had my 3D tv for 2 years now), is too much for me to handle any more. I mean, my DAD has 3D content from DirecTV and won't stop talking about how mesmerizing 3D is on it! I *only* have 2 HDTV's in the house. Main room, and back bedroom. So it's going to be an HR34 (read HMC) on the main HDTV, and an HD receiver on the secondary HDTV. I am really looking forward to the capabilities of this HMC unit. 5 shows at once is an AWESOME game changer for me and the wife. It's been a delicate walk on the edge of the precipice of DOOM I tell you, to only have the capability of recording 2 shows at a time!

We are getting the HR34 (a.k.a. HMC ) for $99. Not bad at all. The DirecTV rep - although not fully familiar with the new gear (understandable) - was extremely courteous. I was simply calling for info, and she answered every single one of my questions. Ended up agreeing to a 2 year contract and an install on Wednesday! Also, I asked about the ETF I would have to pay Dish for leaving 6 months early. I was sent to retentions (funny b/c I was a DirecTV customer for all of 30 seconds when I was transferred to them) and they kindly offered a $5 discount for TWENTY FOUR MONTHS off my bill. That more than pays for the ETF and is an excellent pre-cursor of our new relationship with a Satellite TV provider. I also gave them the account number of my Dad who literally did refer me to them, and soon we will both enjoy $10/mo. off our bill for 10 months. That's awesome.

Question: what's this talk of eHDD's or what? external HDD's can be added to the HR34? We currently have a Dish ViP 722 with an external 750Gb hdd on it, but the external drive is just to dump movies and tons of old recorded shows onto. We never run out of room on the Dish DVR proper.... Any HDD info would be appreciated. Need to know now if I have to buy a good hard drive.

IIRC the HMC HR34 has a 1 TB hard drive in it, if you need more than that, you can add an External HD, but it doesn't add to the internal, if runs separate, you would n't be able to access it without removing the EHD and rebooting, just the way it is for all the D* ehd's, it would be nice if it could be integrated with the internal, but it doesn't.
Also, the EHD will need to be an ESATA

Im having a Directv Cinema issue. The 34 has been installed almost two days, and I have yet to be able to get on. The receiver is "online", but when I go and click Cinema Plus and all movies and shows, it just goes back to live tv. Nothing ever happens.

Mine is connected via a little modem looking device with 3 lights in the bedroom, which has one eth cable to my modem, and one coax to the wall. The tech refused to use the eth cable I have run to my stand.

it says connected on the details screen.

650ab0ec.jpg

Yeah, you need to use the deca as it will allow internet access to all the receivers in the home. Pretty cool actually.

I'm sorry if this is not the thread for this question. Is it possible to get an HR34 for a small condo? I would only need the HR34 and nothing else. I'd like the 5 tuners. I'd be a new customer. Also are two outputs live like on DIsh receivers?

I'm sorry if this is not the thread for this question. Is it possible to get an HR34 for a small condo? I would only need the HR34 and nothing else. I'd like the 5 tuners. I'd be a new customer. Also are two outputs live like on DIsh receivers?

Sure it is, providing your Condo association doesn't balk at it, you actually have rights even if they do.

All outputs should be active.

I have one. It only has the normal AV outputs. The tuners are for recording and streaming to other compatible receivers not running other TV's. Mine streams to my other H25 receivers which have the built in DECA.

I am a new Direct TV customer . I had the HMC system installed(HR-34/HR-23/HD-25). I can not set the DVR to record only new shows in a series. I have talked to Direct tv advanced technical support and they don't know what's wrong. If anybody would have any ideals I would appreciate it. I am thinking of going back to Dish Network.

I am a new Direct TV customer . I had the HMC system installed(HR-34/HR-23/HD-25). I can not set the DVR to record only new shows in a series. I have talked to Direct tv advanced technical support and they don't know what's wrong. If anybody would have any ideals I would appreciate it. I am thinking of going back to Dish Network.

If you find the program you want to record in the Guide:
Hit INFO, this will bring up a second screen, if you choose Record Series, then another set of options should appear, I think the top one is Episode Type, you should have the choice of "First Run, Repeats and Both", select "First Run

go into manage recordings
scroll down to "record defaults"
change to first run and whatever else changes you want (all instead of 5 episodes as example)

now when you want to record a series find an episode and press record twice. It will show as R)) and will record what defaults you set (only new)

go into manage recordings
scroll down to "record defaults"
change to first run and whatever else changes you want (all instead of 5 episodes as example)

now when you want to record a series find an episode and press record twice. It will show as R)) and will record what defaults you set (only new)

I was going to mention that option too, but theres a chance he doesn't want ALL recordings set that way ...

The ones you want all recordings then you can do it as you mention
But most folks want "new" as a default when they record shows :)

All outputs are live, but they all carry the same signal. Dish receivers can have different content, but isn't one always in sd?

Thanks for the responses. Now if I can get the HR34 without needing to have other receivers on my account. They probably want the Hr34 for larger installations and thus a larger monthly payment.

Thanks for the responses. Now if I can get the HR34 without needing to have other receivers on my account. They probably want the Hr34 for larger installations and thus a larger monthly payment.

The monthly costs are the same as any other dvr, $7, going to $8 in February. There is also a $6 per month charge if you have more than one receiver/dvr. It's included in the monthly cost for programming if you have only one. Since the HR34 has a potential for connection to three remote televisions, you would pay $6 per month for each additional one you have connected, whether you are using a receiver/dvr with it or an rvu television. You can have just the HR34 if you want.

you should be able to get just the HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)