DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Trying to get ready for my install and have a couple of questions for you experts. I ordered the HR34 with 3 HD and 1 SD receivers to go with it. I currently have cable TV with RG6 cable at each location. I know I need to add a 2nd cable run to where the HR34 is going since the one that is there now will stay used for my cable modem for the internet connection. This run is at the far side of the house from where all my other cables go. I know the installer will not run it through the attack and down the wall so I want to make sure the cable requirements for this setup.

For this setup, each reciever only needs one cable that will run back to a central location correct? This central location needs a power outlet for the SWM16 correct? For my new run to the HR34, just a standard RG6 cable will work or should I get the quad shield RG6? I already have a spool of normal RG6.
Also, does all the RG6 cable really need to be the solid copper core? I doubt what I have currently have is. If so this will mean that the installer will need to run all new cable around the outside of my house correct? It is a slab two story house so some of the runs can not be re pulled without cutting into the drywall.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Damn, I ordered a HR34 from SS after a couple calls with DirecTV to confirm I can get this despite not being in one of the current testing markets and now I see I can't install it yet. I don't understand all the SWM multiswitch talk but long story short I need a multiswitch installed and the CSR says she can't access that info until after Feb 9th, hopefully. :( Now I'm sitting on a $400 box for 5 weeks to learn, maybe, when it can be used. Wish they knew this a month ago.

I got the HR34 installed today. Only the 3rd one the technician had done and he said "I don't even have one yet and it's going to be a while until employees can even get one"

The thing is awesome. With the 5 tuners, one of the best things we are able to do is add 2 to 5 minutes to the end of every episode of sitcoms we record. NBC may be the worst offender, but regardless of network, the final minute or so of shows is a very rare thing for us to see. And with only having 2 tuners previously, if we extended the timer it would interfere with another show recording at the precise time the previous one ended. So that's a very, very handy thing for us. Outside of this use I just explained, we should RARELY need all 5 tuners. Just nice to have the flexibility.

3D is why I switched to DirecTV and it looks like with this receiver just coming out, I picked the best time to make the switch.

Alright, so thanks to the info gleaned from this thread, I know that once I order an HR34 and make sure that DirecTV knows that the total number of tuners in my house will be at 11, that I need to make sure that they document that I need an SWM16, and they will graciously give the SWM16 to me for no extra charge.

What about DECA stuff, however? Right now my DVRs are hooked up to my home LAN via a traditional Ethernet switch. I am not using MRV (I beta-tested it during the early CE testing, but only via Ethernet). Will DirecTV also provide all of the DECA stuff that I need, or do I need to buy it? I want to use MRV once I get an HR34, in other words.

I think I'd need the following:

3 of those green label DECA adapters, since my existing DVRs are pre-HR24 models (I think I have an HR20-700, HR21, and HR22 but I'd have to double check to be sure).

1 of the DECA broadband adapters, to actually connect the existing Ethernet network to the new SWM network.

Does that sound about right? It'd be awesome if DirecTV provides that, but if not I'll buy it myself.

I have a question for those who use this already.

I heard that with having only 1 HMC (HR34) receiver , you can pause and rewind with the other regular Hd receivers at home.
I have asked the same question to the Directv reps. they sound like they either don't know at all or don't have accurate info.
So is it true that you can pause and rewind on other tvs while you are watching (I mean without hitting the record button)?

And I have another quick question, I don't have an RVU Tv , but I can still get this for my regular Hd Tv right? Just like any HD Dvrs.

TIA

Last edited:
I have a question for those who use this already.

I heard that with having only 1 HMC (HR34) receiver , you can pause and rewind with the other regular Hd receivers at home.
I have asked the same question to the Directv reps. they sound like they either don't know at all or don't have accurate info.
So is it true that you can pause and rewind on other tvs while you are watching (I mean without hitting the record button)?

And I have another quick question, I don't have an RVU Tv , but I can still get this for my regular Hd Tv right? Just like any HD Dvrs.

TIA

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I don't know about the remote capabilities, but you can use the HR34 on any television. If a csr tells you that you must have a Samsung, just tell them that you do.

you can pause and rewind recordings from hd receivers but you cant not pause live tv unless you hit record then you can play that recording and pause and rewind your heart away.
I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this? The whole point of a dvr is to never watch live tv. Live tv is a 4 letter word in my house lol

The current NR SW seems to be working fine for me, other than some slowness and small quirks. Im really liking the 2TB HDD as well.

Have 11 sat HD and 5 OTA recordings, and am showing 96% free ;)

The current NR SW seems to be working fine for me, other than some slowness and small quirks. Im really liking the 2TB HDD as well.

Have 11 sat HD and 5 OTA recordings, and am showing 96% free ;)

Did you download the CE last weekend with the HD GUI? I tried it for two days, but it was so buggy that I had to go back to the NR. I hope that this week's CE version is not so buggy.

skew said:
you can pause and rewind recordings from hd receivers but you cant not pause live tv unless you hit record then you can play that recording and pause and rewind your heart away.
I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this? The whole point of a dvr is to never watch live tv. Live tv is a 4 letter word in my house lol

technically it's 6...and 2 words :D

Im currently on NR 0x4C9, came in yesterday. Finally getting into last week's mix of recordings.

Between sat and OTA playback from my external caviar EARX 2TB drive, I can tell no difference. Have had some nights with 3 and 4 recordings in the same hour, no problems yet. Working well so far.

Last edited:
damn where is that money tree I can go shake to buy one of these?
Last night the 5 tuners would have came in real handy

Yeah I went with the HR34 tonight, only gonna use it for one room so the 1 TB of space will come in handy. Only bummer is I don't think my area has the new HD GUI available yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.