DirecTV in Apartment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zoner

Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Hi, I just found this forum and thought that maybe someone here could offer an opinion on an issue I have with the people that run my apartment community.

Insight Communications is my local cable company, and the only choice I have in my area. They recently made the idiotic decision not to carry MLB Extra Innings. The only reason I even have Digital cable was specifically for Extra Innings. They carried it last year, and even their on-channel guide lists Extra Innings, but they're not offering it now.

So, I decided to go with DirecTV. I bought my 3-room system and scheduled my installation.

When I notified my rental office, they said that I needed to carry $1,000,000 insurance in order to get their approval.

Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

Is that logical?

I presume it was a mistake, because the girl on the phone also said that only dishes that were one inch in diameter were allowed.

I'm hoping she was mistaken on both counts.

I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Thanks.

They may mean the installer must carry $1,000,000 insurance, and the dish can be no bigger than 1 meter.

Same thing here. I live in VA and they told me the same thing, "You need to carry $1,000,000 of insurance to have it". I have checked with the FCC about this and they gave me the run around. But, I have a forest behind me that you can't see into and has a great view of the SW behind it...You can finish the rest. Needless to say, I have DTV in my apartment :)

I think they may be allowed to require you to carry insurance to protect the apartment complex. The FCC question could be raised in the cost of the insurance, but you do have the option of not having a satellite system, or moving to a friendlier complex.

According to the FCC link provided above they can not legally do this as long as you are installing your dish in an area that you eclusively control:

: What types of restrictions are prohibited?

A: The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property. A restriction impairs if it: unreasonably delays or prevents use of; (2) unreasonably increases the cost of; or (3) precludes a person from receiving or transmitting an acceptable quality signal from an antenna covered under the rule. The rule does not prohibit legitimate safety restrictions or restrictions designed to preserve designated or eligible historic or prehistoric properties, provided the restriction is no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the safety or preservation purpose.

Insurance to protect the apartment would be covered under normal renter's insurance. You certainly don't need a million dollar policy to do that...

My brother had to pay a $500 deposit to his apartment complex when he got hooked up to Dish Network. They said it was for so called "insurance" but I think it is BS.

Luckily they put the money in an interest bearing account and he will earn money on this.

If you find out it is illegal please post back. My brother would love to take it up with the rental agency but just does not have the time. He just paid it and is a little pissed but loves satellite and the $10 it saves him over cable per month.

I used to carry $500,000 in liability when I lived in an apt...cost me less than $20/months.

In response to the original question. Check with your Landlord about the specifics. In most cases, insurance with $100,000 of personal liability insurance is required. This is typically included with any standard renter's insurance policy which could run you $100+ a year. The reason for the insurance is to protect the landlord from any claim or liability arising out of or in connection with the dish. They are just covering their butt from sue-happy people.

Keep in mind that you are renting the property and the area considered in your "Exclusive control" is limited to the apartment itself and any patio/balcony. And ultimately it is the landlord's property and they have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do to the property, provided that it does not cause you unreasonable hardship. You'll find that most apartment complexes will put restrictions on any satellite installation.

I'm no expert on this, but I have studied the CFR containing the FCC rules. I would think $1,000,000 is excessive and unreasonable. Further, and the interesting part, the rules state that the complete burden for enforcing a restriction is on the entity intending to impose that restriction. Their recourse is to file a formal petition with the FCC (which I understand takes up to a year for a decision) and in the meantime, they must suspend all enforcement of the restriction. They can not penalize you, fine you, seek attorney fees, etc during this period. Lastly, in the event the FCC were to rule against you, you have 21 days to comply and take it down. During this period they can't fine you, penalize you, or seek attorney fees.

It seems, if you are sure you are within the rules, i.e. proper size dish and antenna (less than one meter unless you are in Alaska) and are fully within your exclusive use area, you could just go ahead and say sc&%# you.

Now, I haven't personally taken this approach, but that's what the rules seem to say.

Did they say what you get for your $1m insurance policy? Do you get to mount it in non-exclusive areas (side of building, roof, etc). Do you get to punch holes in the walls? Both of the above are restrictable under FCC guidelines for apartments.

Renters insurance is fairly cheap. A basic policy with a $1m liability is around $15 a month. Not a bad deal if you get the perks of being able to install it where it's best, not just on exclusively controlled property. Plus renters insurance is a very good idea just for the fact that it covers your stuff :).

Renters insurance is fairly cheap. A basic policy with a $1m liability is around $15 a month. Not a bad deal if you get the perks of being able to install it where it's best, not just on exclusively controlled property. Plus renters insurance is a very good idea just for the fact that it covers your stuff :).[/QUOTE]

WOW.... Where do you get those prices from I know I pay more than that and I don't get near $1m in Liability for coverage.

WOW.... Where do you get those prices from I know I pay more than that and I don't get near $1m in Liability for coverage.
State Farm. 25000 contents, 500 deductable, 1000 medical, 1m liability. Gave me rates of 183/year (15.25/month) for my old apartment/townhouse.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helpful replies.

I finally got it installed.

We shopped around and ended up saving ourselves about $70 a year on renter's insurance (with the million dollar liability).

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)