DIRECTV INSTALLATION - HELP PLEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willbrook

Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Pawleys Island, S.C.
Good Morning -

I just discovered this forum, and this is my first posting. I had problems with my Directv 'professional installation' HD upgrade yesterday and need some help.

The Directv tech placed a 3 lnb 'slimline' antenna into the ground and installed 3 HD receivers and 1 HD/DVR. While he connected all the equipment, none of it worked properly when he departed. I refused to sign the lease agreement, called Directv, and another 'senior technician' is to arrive tomorrow morning.

Here are my issues:

My old standard definition Directv antenna was grounded -- with a stake near the antenna. My current antenna is not grounded - at least I do not see copper wire/stake, etc. Am I correct to assume this does not meet electric code?

All of my HD receivers (H-23 models) display both an HD channel and a SD channel in the guide for all the HD channels that I subscribe to. All channels work well. However, my local channels appear in the guide once - even though several broadcast in HD. I believe there should also be a SD channel for locals that broadcast in HD. Am I correct?

My HD/DVR (HR-21) currently does not receive any HD stations. I receive a 'searching for satellite' code when attempting to access an HD station. SD is ok. However, in the guide, each of my local stations are listed twice - as they should be, I think. Of course, I can't access the HD local channels.

I have been able to sort out several other issues with Directv over the telephone -- a frustrating process familiar to many, I'm sure.

I had thought that a LNB-5 'slimline' antenna was to be installed, providing access to two other satellite's. I currently receive sats at 99, 101 and 103 degrees. Could that be the problem?

I would greatly appreciate member guidance on my situation. Thanks very much. Dick

Yes, it is supposed to be grounded.

To get all the HD channels, your dish is supposed to be a 5 LNB slimline, sounds like the installer gave you the wrong dish.

Give DirecTV a chance to resolve it. I have had install problems, I just had to be patient, make plenty of phone calls and they always resolved everything to my satisfaction. I know it should be done right the first time and often, it is but, there are times when to have to yell a little.

Good Morning -

I just discovered this forum, and this is my first posting. I had problems with my Directv 'professional installation' HD upgrade yesterday and need some help.

The Directv tech placed a 3 lnb 'slimline' antenna into the ground and installed 3 HD receivers and 1 HD/DVR. While he connected all the equipment, none of it worked properly when he departed. I refused to sign the lease agreement, called Directv, and another 'senior technician' is to arrive tomorrow morning.

Here are my issues:

My old standard definition Directv antenna was grounded -- with a stake near the antenna. My current antenna is not grounded - at least I do not see copper wire/stake, etc. Am I correct to assume this does not meet electric code?

All of my HD receivers (H-23 models) display both an HD channel and a SD channel in the guide for all the HD channels that I subscribe to. All channels work well. However, my local channels appear in the guide once - even though several broadcast in HD. I believe there should also be a SD channel for locals that broadcast in HD. Am I correct?

My HD/DVR (HR-21) currently does not receive any HD stations. I receive a 'searching for satellite' code when attempting to access an HD station. SD is ok. However, in the guide, each of my local stations are listed twice - as they should be, I think. Of course, I can't access the HD local channels.

I have been able to sort out several other issues with Directv over the telephone -- a frustrating process familiar to many, I'm sure.

I had thought that a LNB-5 'slimline' antenna was to be installed, providing access to two other satellite's. I currently receive sats at 99, 101 and 103 degrees. Could that be the problem?

I would greatly appreciate member guidance on my situation. Thanks very much. Dick

- Do you know if your local SD channels come from the 119 satellite, if yes then that's why you lost your SD locals since the 3LNB Slimline doesn't see 110 or 119. I would think if they did your installer should know and give you the 5LNB. If your locals aren't on 119 then the 3LNB is fine.

- On the HR-21 did he install the BBC adapters on the back of the HR-21? BBC's are needed unless you got a SWM LNB (you can tell, it would have only 1 cable coming from the LNB assembly. If you do have the SWM LNB and he did install BBC's remove them and reboot the receiver.

The only problem you seem to have is with the hr-21 not receiving HD. The rod driven in the ground that you mentioned is NOT a proper ground, not having one is good. It probably is grounded to the electrical system via the coax. You are receiving your local channels so you have the right dish. Just because a local station broadcasts in HD doesn't necessarily mean that D is providing them in your area in HD. Even if they do, there is no reason for the channels to be in your guide twice. In my guide, the locals aren't labeled HD but programs on them that come in HD are. The problem with the dvr is probably a missing or defective b-band converter as stated previously.

Hx20 and Hx21 show Local Duplicates Hx22 and Hx23 hide local duplicates.. you can change it by going into MENU/SETTINGS/DISPLAY and change the pull down for Hide SD Duplicates. Also check the Main Satellite Screen and see if the auto config set up a 5LNB on some and a 3NB Slimline on others?

thanks

I'd like to thank members who replied to my plea for assistance. A MASTEC technician arrived yesterday (sunday) and corrected all the problems left by the original installer. My HD/DVR (HR-22) DID require the ' B' converters that were not originally installed.

He also told me that a 3 LNB was fine, since my area only receives stations from the 99, 101 & 103 sats. Apparently my SD locals, for the time being do come from a sat located at 72 degrees -- which will be deactivated soon. Affected stations will be migrated to other sats.

I'm glad that I found this website - there is now a wealth of information at my fingertips!. Thanks again. Dick

No need to call everyone names at the end of your posts!!!!!!:D

Kidding aside, welcome, and enjoy

I'd like to thank members who replied to my plea for assistance. A MASTEC technician arrived yesterday (sunday) and corrected all the problems left by the original installer. My HD/DVR (HR-22) DID require the ' B' converters that were not originally installed.

He also told me that a 3 LNB was fine, since my area only receives stations from the 99, 101 & 103 sats. Apparently my SD locals, for the time being do come from a sat located at 72 degrees -- which will be deactivated soon. Affected stations will be migrated to other sats.

I'm glad that I found this website - there is now a wealth of information at my fingertips!. Thanks again. Dick

There again, folks who work for MASTEC are competent, hard working and effective. Their training needs work and they wouldn't have to train so much if they could just keep the same people for awhile.

Glad it got done..........the BBCs were in the box!

Joe

I too had my share of DTV problems. I found out the initial install was never grounded and if you touched the coax, you received a shock. I had to cancel the service since I was having too many problems. I wanted to upgrade to HD, therefore I needed the larger dish. The installer said he would have to mount it to the chimney with straps. He couldnt move it to the roof due to neighbors trees giving interference. The installers company said they do not mount HD Satellites to chimneys because of damage. So now I have conflicting statements. I guess the installer just wants his comission. If the installer mounts it to the chimney with straps, and there is damage, its my problem. AND I cant put it elsewhere. Now, 2 years later, I have DTV telling me since I cancelled, its considered early termination and I supposedly owe a penalty. For what? They cant upgrade me, so its my fault? Even the Customer Service Rep said she agreed with me that this was not my fault and should not be given a penalty. The installer wanted to install the HD dish incorrectly and I refused based on liability issues. They need to understand that not every install will work for every person nor is it the customers fault. Their customer service is a major failure.

I too had my share of DTV problems. I found out the initial install was never grounded and if you touched the coax, you received a shock. I had to cancel the service since I was having too many problems. I wanted to upgrade to HD, therefore I needed the larger dish. The installer said he would have to mount it to the chimney with straps. He couldnt move it to the roof due to neighbors trees giving interference. The installers company said they do not mount HD Satellites to chimneys because of damage. So now I have conflicting statements. I guess the installer just wants his comission. If the installer mounts it to the chimney with straps, and there is damage, its my problem. AND I cant put it elsewhere. Now, 2 years later, I have DTV telling me since I cancelled, its considered early termination and I supposedly owe a penalty. For what? They cant upgrade me, so its my fault? Even the Customer Service Rep said she agreed with me that this was not my fault and should not be given a penalty. The installer wanted to install the HD dish incorrectly and I refused based on liability issues. They need to understand that not every install will work for every person nor is it the customers fault. Their customer service is a major failure.
the slimline dish should never be mounted to a chimney (per D*)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts