Directv installed last month and now branches stuck in dish - potonetial LOS issue with snow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

idmd

Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
MA
Just had Directv service installed last month. Installer found LOS and installed dish on opposite-most end of house from satellite reception - in other words if you look at the picture attached the LOS from the satellite traverses the entire width of my house before being received by the dish at the farthest end of the house. When he installed the dish he trimmed some branches. We had some wind last week and I just noticed there are multiple tree branches caught in the dish. My other concern is the dish's LOS essentially runs parallel to my roof line and maybe 12-18" above the roof. We had 120" of snow last year and any snow on roof above 12" looks like it will be an issue. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 271
:welcome to Satelliteguys idmd!

I'm sure one of the installers here will post soon enough, but I don't think the dish should have been put where branches would interfere so soon. If it was a few years down the road that's one thing, but one month is ridiculous. That may have been the only place on the roof where the dish could go based on los issues. Could it have gone on the ground somewhere?

Hello, I am NO expert at all, but my .02 is this. It is not rocket science that the branches need to be trimmed back away from the dish. Now, who's responsibility is that, I don't know but if it were me I would get someone to come out right away and just do a good trim removal of any of those branches that are even close. I personally would find a guy on craigslist and give him like a hundred bucks to just trim those around the dish (that's just me). As for the snow, I wouldn't worry about that. The dish is up and mounted and I think if you get rid of those branches you will be fine.

Called Directv today and was told no less than 15x if they have to come out it will be a $50 charge and if they have to move the dish I'll have holes in my roof and it will leak. Are they serious?

:welcome to Satelliteguys idmd!

I'm sure one of the installers here will post soon enough, but I don't think the dish should have been put where branches would interfere so soon. If it was a few years down the road that's one thing, but one month is ridiculous. That may have been the only place on the roof where the dish could go based on los issues. Could it have gone on the ground somewhere?

I have a really big front yard with no LOS issues. There are some LOS issues at the house though - front yard is very large and backyard is small with tall trees. The installer never discussed placement with us before installing.

I have a really big front yard with no LOS issues. There are some LOS issues at the house though - front yard is very large and backyard is small with tall trees. The installer never discussed placemen
I have a really big front yard with no LOS issues. There are some LOS issues at the house though - front yard is very large and backyard is small with tall trees. The installer never discussed placement with us before installing.

The installation is done and you signed off on it. There is no way Directv is going to come out and trim your trees for you. You might as well just relax and at some point get those branches trimmed way back. I know it is not what you want to hear but it's what you have to deal with at this time. Just take it as kind of a "lesson learned" thing, and make the best of it. Other than those branches you have nothing to worry about, you will love Directv and everything else will be just fine.

Called Directv today and was told no less than 15x if they have to come out it will be a $50 charge and if they have to move the dish I'll have holes in my roof and it will leak. Are they serious?

If the dish DID have to move, they should not be removing the lag bolts holding the foot plate into the roof. the mast that the dish sits on can come down, but the plate needs to stay in place otherwise you will have holes.

as for pricing, i didn't think they charged you if they had to come back in 30 days? *shrug*. since it sounds like the installer was kind of a D-bag, i would check to see if the dish is grounded properly. if its not you can probably tell them the installer committed a NEC (nat'l electricians/electrical code, iirc) violation and see if they wont wave the service fee and get it relocated then.

or get the branches trimmed back.

1. It looks like some simple trimming is all that is needed, I would just get it done by someone or if you can do it, do it yourself. I can't actually tell from your pics if those trees actually interfere with the line of site, almost looks like they don't, rather they hang over the dish. Either way some trimming is needed.

2. I see your concern of snow, but keep in mind the actual los is pointed upwards. I can see where it isn't impossible for snow to block the dish but again it is a little hard to tell from the pic. Was this the only spot they could get a los?

Tech came out this AM. Confirmed that the area where it's installed in general was the best spot for LOS BUT said the original install could have easily been placed 2 feet more away from the tree and it would not have effected LOS. He didn't think moving the dish was worth it and he said he thought where it is was better in terms of snow/LOS. He was nice enough to trim the tree branches and adjust the dish but there was a $49 service fee. I guess $49 is cheaper than if I called a "tree guy" to trim the branches.

Reactions: Tampa8
I still say you should have found a spot on the ground.
If your thinking Snow may be an issue, up on the roof might cause issues in the winter ...
One thing to think about, you could look into a dish heater.

2. I see your concern of snow, but keep in mind the actual los is pointed upwards. I can see where it isn't impossible for snow to block the dish but again it is a little hard to tell from the pic. Was this the only spot they could get a los?

I was hoping someone would point this out.

Reactions: Tampa8
The other issue is WET Snow, sticking to the dish will make you lose signal if you get enough.
Thats the main thing I look for, storm between the Sat and the Dish and wet snow on the dish.

Line of sight won't matter if there is 2 ft of snow on the roof and the dish is buried.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)