DirecTV installer: Won't run line using flat coax coupler

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bshrode

Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Ok, so today DirecTV was supposed to come move my service to my new apartment. The installer calls me before the install and asks if I've gotten permission to drill holes from outside. I said no and said that I'd be fine with running a flat coax under the window sill, just like I had done at my other apartment. He said that DirecTV no longer lets them run flat coax lines during an install when the customer has a HD dish + receiver. Does this make sense? I told the guy to forget it and that I'd just do it myself. What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker or should having an HD dish and receiver make no difference what so ever??

Just had a friend get his DirecTV HD / NFL promo last wknd and they used flat RG6 jumpers at his request; so I am thinking its either his contract company that doesn't want to do it; he did not have any on the truck, or maybe they get paid more to "drill". Have him install, setup and run the lines through the window and go get your own jumpers and shorter RG6 cable lengths to make the change yourself; its it REAL EASY!

Just had a friend get his DirecTV HD / NFL promo last wknd and they used flat RG6 jumpers at his request; so I am thinking its either his contract company that doesn't want to do it; he did not have any on the truck, or maybe they get paid more to "drill". Have him install, setup and run the lines through the window and go get your own jumpers and shorter RG6 cable lengths to make the change yourself; its it REAL EASY!

Oh, he had them. He just said that they cause "problems" and DirecTV has forbidden them from using them on HD installs. I even talked to the supervisor and he wouldn't do it...

Oh, he had them. He just said that they cause "problems" and DirecTV has forbidden them from using them on HD installs. I even talked to the supervisor and he wouldn't do it...

I have had mine for 5+ years. Without needing to replace and they work just fine. Maybe they simply need to buy better products. Anyway what about the alternate suggestion?

Total BS in basket!

Charper DirecTv has removed flat cable from it's approved equipment list. That across the whole board. Anyone still using flat cable for install or upgrades are in violation. Any job Q.C that has flat cable is an automatic fell and chargeback to the HSP company.

Ok, so today DirecTV was supposed to come move my service to my new apartment. The installer calls me before the install and asks if I've gotten permission to drill holes from outside. I said no and said that I'd be fine with running a flat coax under the window sill, just like I had done at my other apartment. He said that DirecTV no longer lets them run flat coax lines during an install when the customer has a HD dish + receiver. Does this make sense? I told the guy to forget it and that I'd just do it myself. What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker or should having an HD dish and receiver make no difference what so ever??

FLAT cable has been removed from the DirecTv approved equipment list. You have a problem with that take it up with D*.

Charper DirecTv has removed flat cable from it's approved equipment list. That across the whole board. Anyone still using flat cable for install or upgrades are in violation. Any job Q.C that has flat cable is an automatic fell and chargeback to the HSP company.

Then kudos and apology to the installer; I can admit being wrong on my guess as to why it was not used; BUT I still stand by get it run in a "temp" fashion and then modify with the jumpers because they work JUST FINE. So this post is STILL "Total BS in basket!"

Originally Posted by toober View Post
I'd never install anything HD with flat cable. It's just not good enough to carry the full signal.

Then kudos and apology to the installer; I can admit being wrong on my guess as to why it was not used; BUT I still stand by get it run in a "temp" fashion and then modify with the jumpers because they work JUST FINE. So this post is STILL "Total BS in basket!"

Originally Posted by toober View Post
I'd never install anything HD with flat cable. It's just not good enough to carry the full signal.

It may be the higher failure rate due to abuse by subs who can't seem to understand that opening and closing that door/window will damage the cable. Flat cable also isn't rated to use for KAKU use.

Any bets D* will go the path of E* and eventually allow a heavier, more reinforced version of the flat window cables?

Nope. They are heavily enforcing the DirecTv authorization form for use on rental property in regards to drilling.

Flat cables have been removed from Irownood (now known as DirecTV), too. The scuttlebutt is that a flat wire shorted out and caused a fire, but I can't confirm this.

This is true I am not sure where it was but some smartguy used one to power a 4X8 switch and there was a fire and since then D* has taken them off there approved parts list!!

It may be the higher failure rate due to abuse by subs who can't seem to understand that opening and closing that door/window will damage the cable. Flat cable also isn't rated to use for KAKU use.

Flat cable is rated fine for KaKu use, your comment is an installer "urban legend". The reason why DirecTV has taken flat cable off the list is as far as we know something related to an "incident" but no-one knows what that is.

Flat cable is rated fine for KaKu use, your comment is an installer "urban legend". The reason why DirecTV has taken flat cable off the list is as far as we know something related to an "incident" but no-one knows what that is.
Dude I don't know why. "Urban Legend" may be the so- called incident, It may be the higher service rate on them. I asked three DTV FOM and they don't know why really.

Well then, we cant have people actually opening and closing doors now can we? How dare they actually use their house as it was designed to be used. Perhaps the real culprit is not the homeowner but the rocket scientists at D* and the "people" here that thought using flat cable in doors and windows was acceptable to begin with. :rolleyes:

Dude I don't know why. "Urban Legend" may be the so- called incident, It may be the higher service rate on them. I asked three DTV FOM and they don't know why really.

The KaKu "legend" has been around for a few years now. Whatever the "incident" is, it looks like it was fairly recent.
And to vurbano's comment. For anyone in an apartment who is not allowed to drill any holes in the wall, the flat cables are the only option, however problematic they might be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)