DirecTV interest in VOOM?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If its not NFL or RSN's you are not going to find support for it from D* subs that frequent forums. They are typically sports fanatics.

Agreed! I am one of those guys! But...hey, anyone that has an ad like the one shown above for GUY TV by HArold, I'm in. Never heard of it, but, loooks goood!

As already posted: Family and Charlie need to resolve VOOM issue pending any sale of VOOM.

And we all know that he will not let competitors get it because that would then they get some of his customers to jump ship . . . seems like a dead story/issue to me

Agreed! I am one of those guys! But...hey, anyone that has an ad like the one shown above for GUY TV by HArold, I'm in. Never heard of it, but, loooks goood!
From an old promo...

Attachments

• Guy tv.jpg
    Guy tv.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Guy tv 1.jpg
    Guy tv 1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Guy tv 5.jpg
    Guy tv 5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Guy tv 6.jpg
    Guy tv 6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Guy tv 7.jpg
    Guy tv 7.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Guy tv 3.jpg
    Guy tv 3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Guy tv 4.jpg
    Guy tv 4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 143
Ok, yes im biased.

I came to dish soley for Voom.

There are allot of us who would flock over to direc solely
for the Voom service.

I already have direc with dish. I would ''love'' to say bye to dish
if Direc makes this bold move.

To me, it would be a coup if direc made this move. There are tons of people still seething at dish for dropping 15true HD channels. I am one of them.

So, I hope that direc makes the move!!!

To those who dont really know Vooms content, there is some really great content on those channels. Monster, Rave and equator are standouts to me.
:up[/

Yep, me too! If Direct adds VOOM in any capacity more than three channels I will probably cancel Dish that day (and pay the termination fee which for me should be down to about six months worth).

Some of you guys are just stupid. It doesn't matter which service provider you have, D, E. FIOS, Uverse, Cable there is nothing they can do to make the STATIONS beef up their broadcast shows in HD. You want more HD shows freaking call NBC/Universal, call Time Warner, Call Viacom. Take a look around everyone pretty much has the same channels with nothing on them but a repeat.

Voom is dead. I can see Liberty buying voom as Scott stated to do Direct TV own programming like Rave TV and one VOD movie channels for free, but a Voom package forget it.

As already posted: Family and Charlie need to resolve VOOM issue pending any sale of VOOM.

And we all know that he will not let competitors get it because that would then they get some of his customers to jump ship . . . seems like a dead story/issue to me

This could be exactly what Chalie and dish need. A wake up call!

It would be ironic if direc picked up Voom right from underneath Charlies nose.

It could hurt dish on two levels, lose more sub base and lose ground on HD front.
With what was their(dish) HD suite.

This would be interesting..but as we know its a reach.:eureka

People talked down VOOM for a number of reasons:

• Dish had them, DirecTV didn't (some people hate anything that the other has)
  • There were too many channels with too little content
  • DirecTV had limited capacity and were somewhat choosy with new HD channels

None of these are true now.
  • Dish doesn't have them at all and some of their subscribers don't like that
  • The channels have already been consolidated to some degree
  • DirecTV has much more capacity now, in terms of channels and potential to use it as an HD VOD offering
VOOM's pricing is bound to be much more reasonable now that they are not carried on Dish. DirecTV could use it to round out HD VOD offerings. The reasoning behind business decisions must been seen ad specific to a certain set of circumstances. Almost everything about these circumstances has changed.

The above facts are true except the VOOMers continue to think they are the center of the universe. There is absolutely no reason to spend a chunck of money to buy VOOM in order to add the VOOM channels, just sign a carriage agreement for cheap and add them already. VOOM does not rise to such a level that D* would want to own it.

No, interested in buying Rainbow Media is not to make the VOOMers happy, give it up already.

Its all about choice

The above facts are true except the VOOMers continue to think they are the center of the universe. There is absolutely no reason to spend a chunck of money to buy VOOM in order to add the VOOM channels, just sign a carriage agreement for cheap and add them already. VOOM does not rise to such a level that D* would want to own it.

No, interested in buying Rainbow Media is not to make the VOOMers happy, give it up already.

Why should we ''voomers'' not be happy? I personally would like all of us to be happy.:eureka

I think everyone should have as much programming choice as they want.

As much ''great'' HD programming as we can get our hands on.

Its all about choice! If Direc add Voom or parts of Voom. Great!! I for one would love it.

I doubt that D* would add the 15 channels, but if they did I would switch to D* in a heartbeat, and I have over 2TB of archived content on my external hard drives with E*. Very few people like all 15 channels, but those who like Voom like some. Tigerfan likes 6 or 7. I love Equator, Treasure, Gallery, Filmfest, Voom HD Movies and Rave. We all like different stuff.

I'd like to point out that Voom has produced much new programming, contrary to the 'too repetitive' position that many have. If you recall, before HGTV and Food Network began simulcasting the SD channels, they were very repetitive, too (4 hour loops). Any channel (other than movie channels) would be hard pressed to provide 24x7 HD given the infancy of HD TV programming that we're truly in.

Imagine any of you your favorite channels having to air only non-SD content. They'd be a hella lot more repetitive, too. This is evidenced by the endless threads about the stretching, and "hardly shows any HD content" of many other channels.

I applaude your sentiment. I wish I had your insight and recorded some of my favorite VOOM moments before Charlie unceremoniously flipped the switch.
After eight years with Dish, my loyality could be bought by Direct with even a portion of the HD content I came to expect from Dish. The only thing I'll miss will be the 722--truly a remarkable and innovative DVR.....

Not really any more than the SCIFIers or the SPEEDers or the RSNers think they are the centers of the universe. I dont ever slam these folks for wanting what they don't have, and that "When will E* get SciFi HD" thread went on and on and on for many months...

I enjoed having 15 channels of Voom though two or three were not my cup of tea, and those two or three I do not care for are probably somebody else's favorites, like Kung Fu. If Voom were to come back on any service and I would be able to subscribe I would undoubtadly do so. As far as Voom coming back I would have to see it to believe it.

Like I said. D* forums on the net are generally filled with simple minded ST fans. You will find little support in the forums for Voom. Funny how they never complain about really worthless stations like QVC, HSN or all of the other garbage. But slow down their RSN expansion and they will vigorously oppose Voom. We have several bologna stations carrying pathetic MLS soccer but oppose one channel Worldsport that carries La Liga, the best teams in the world? :rolleyes:

Yep - funny how just because a person's preference is different than yours that they are 'simple-minded'.

What a convincing argument you have there.

I just switched from Dish. I rarely if ever watched their channels because I had seen everything within weeks of going to Dish originally. Voom needed to go away for a long time. If it comes back to D* and takes up space of national HDs (HBOs, MAXs, Comedy Central HD, etc.) I'll be pissed.

SWEET! :D

I am a big sports fan - that said, I liked much of the Voom content when I had E*. I liked rave, rush, and some of the movie channels. (see vurbano - we're not all ST loving maniacs with a limited channel range :) - although I do have ST)

That said, I do NOT think D* will ever add 15 dedicated channels. If the buy Rainbow, they own content, and can manage it however they want. I envision that as a few channels.

But - this article is a LONG way from any purchase. They may only be interested in the movie networks like AMC, IFC, etc. like some users posted.

Don't get too excited, I just found it interesting that D* was even talking about Rainbow. D* has clearly said they want to improve their differentiation through exclusive programming offerings. Reference - Passions, Friday Night Lights, the 101, etc. They are getting more aggressive. However, we are a long way from seeing Voom content on DirecTV.

It doesnt take long for the name calling. Me personally I want Voom back on a service i am able to get and i know there are a good amount of others that want the same thing. I also know that there are many that dont like it and thats ok I understand that not everyone is going to like it, I am not going to sit here and call people names over it.

You know even though I did not watch Voom that much when I had Dish, I wouldn't mind having a couple of the channels as long as it does not take away from having others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.