DirecTV interface not as good as Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To be fair, Dish's answer to the Genie/HR34 was the Hopper 1, with three tuners. You can also add multiple Hopper 1 and 2's to an account to have more tuners, DirecTV will only allow one Genie.
Then there is the Hopper 3 with 16 tuners that negates the need for multiple Hoppers for most users.
The 5 tuner limitation is one reason I will not go with DirecTV despite their 4K content and more HD channels, and the fact I can get a better deal with my AT&T account. Of course, if DirecTV's service is now as bad and as incompetent as AT&T's has been for me, I am better off anyway with Dish, even if AT&T comes out with better equipment and more tuners.
Of course the main thing is if YOU are happy with the service you have, regardless of the equipment offered.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
D* doesn't have a 5 tuner limit ... the Genie offers 5 tuners.

You gotta at least get the HR44. Make up a reason for a service call and they'll probably swap it. That will be a temporary gift for your 4K TV. I don't want the current 4K system, either, when I go 4K. I have had the Genie/client system twice (once with HR34 and once with HR44) and the client, including the one mentioned above, would lose connection with the server often. Less often with the HR44, but still enough to be annoying. I liked the client in my old place in another state for bringing my more-desirable OTA channels from the AM21 into the bedroom. Other than that, it was garbage.

If I get a roommate in the future and if my Internet speeds can improve, I think a tablet (that they would have to own) and a HDMI cable would be a better receiver with the current streaming app.
That's what I wouldn't like about the server/client is if you would ever loose the connection to the server. I wonder if they went that way because it would be cheaper having a virtual DVR than a small two or three tuner DVR that would use whole home with the Genie server?

Ive switched back and forth several times and things never change (so far)

Dish has better hardware and interface
Directv has better service and PQ

I take PQ every time. I mean my HR44 records what it is supposed to and displays native HD live tv, so what do I care.
I agree with you. I always miss the features of the Hopper system but D* pq is so much better with Dish's so poor, IMO. Like you, I'll take pq over features any day. If D* can provide a DVR like the Hopper & it's new interface, I would be a totally happy camper.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the SatelliteGuys app!

PQ is king for me also. I'm planning on switching over to "D" shortly, I hate to give up the many many hours of programming on my EHD though. I do wish the Genie had a larger hard drive also. But better PQ trumps the advantages of the Hopper 3.

I agree with you. I always miss the features of the Hopper system but D* pq is so much better with Dish's so poor, IMO. Like you, I'll take pq over features any day. If D* can provide a DVR like the Hopper & it's new interface, I would be a totally happy camper.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the SatelliteGuys app!
Replace Genie minis with HR24. More storage plus shareing

I'm late to the party, but I feel that both providers are quite comparable with each other. Being a Dish sub, who visits family with Directv, my only issue is my own fault, and that's being clueless of where certain channels are.

I have both. As far as unit/systems go. No contest dish is superior. They have been cutting edge over all for years.
Dish auto hop. That feature alone is off the charts. My personal favorite is blu tooth so I can watch tv without disturbing my wife.

Direct dvrs are getting better but always seem like they are trying to catch up. Still clunky to me.

I love direct for all my Ny sports.
Plus they get edge on picture.
Slightly.

But overall dish to me is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8 and mdavej
I wish D had prime time any time.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

why? its a waste of recording time. there are not enough shows on those 3 networks to make it worth tying up a tuner

dish only did this to on the 3 tuner hopper to make it look like it could record more.
with a 16 tuner hopper you should have more than enough tuners its not needed

why? its a waste of recording time. there are not enough shows on those 3 networks to make it worth tying up a tuner

dish only did this to on the 3 tuner hopper to make it look like it could record more.
with a 16 tuner hopper you should have more than enough tuners its not needed

All 4 Networks on one tuner is available 24/7 with or without PTAT turned on - on all Hopper models. You are not using (wasting) the tuner except when recording up to 4 shows on any day that PTAT is turned off. 3 tuner Hopper became 5 tuners with Super Joey. Or, no limit on Hoppers on one account. Temporarily one Hopper3 per account. "Look like it could record more", hah!

My iPhone gave me a notification from the sat guys app that the thread was updated. Last post I see is larry55's from 11/27. What gives?

Anyway I just wish D* had an xfinity X1 style voice remote. I know they have voice on the app, but to put it on the remote would be much easier

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just had the Genie with C61K mini installed 24 hours ago. I do indeed see a PQ increase. Not great but obvious. After comparing the Genie to the Hopper I can say that the Hopper is far superior to the Genie in every way you can think of ( except for PQ ). The RC73 remote is small and nicely shaped but lacks a few buttons that would make it much more handy. Like Dish, Directv is still stuck in the 90's when it comes to offering a lighted remote. The C61K is not available in wireless form. Directv does offer four 4K channels with limited content and even though it is only available in the upper tier packages at the moment I was told that it will soon be included in the lowest tiers. So in a nutshell, "D" = better PQ and limited 4K, Dish = better everything else. For me PQ is king, hence my switch.

I had to come to the web to see your post inazully. Again the app said you replied but I could not read it.

About the remote, besides a lighted remote with voice commands, I wish they had a finder option. Something where you could push a button on the reciever and it would have the remote beep. That would be a HUGE help finding a lost remote. I already use find my iphone from a tablet or laptop to beep my phone. Something similar would be great for the remote. They shouldn't make us have to buy third party RFID / Bluetooth stick tags like Tile. I'm not investing in that when it should have this basic feature out of the box.

I used to use an app on my cell phone when I wanted a lighted remote for Directv. It was made by Directv and it is possible it is still available. Most of the time I just used the regular genie remote.

Check out the $20 RC7XB Directv lighted remote from Solid Signal. It looks exactly like the RC71/73. Might not work any better but at least it's lighted.

you can get 2 rc73 for 8.00 on amazon
or 1 rc71b for 22.99

man lighting really raises the price

Reactions: pattykay
Just had the Genie with C61K mini installed 24 hours ago. I do indeed see a PQ increase. Not great but obvious. After comparing the Genie to the Hopper I can say that the Hopper is far superior to the Genie in every way you can think of ( except for PQ ). The RC73 remote is small and nicely shaped but lacks a few buttons that would make it much more handy. Like Dish, Directv is still stuck in the 90's when it comes to offering a lighted remote. The C61K is not available in wireless form. Directv does offer four 4K channels with limited content and even though it is only available in the upper tier packages at the moment I was told that it will soon be included in the lowest tiers. So in a nutshell, "D" = better PQ and limited 4K, Dish = better everything else. For me PQ is king, hence my switch.

Perfect!! Your on the money.
I have both. Dish family system.
Direct for my Ny sports.
Killer feature for me is Bluetooth on dish.
Late at night able to watch without bothering wife? Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts