DirecTV International Dish + SG2100

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tradewinds said:
Whoa...that's a lot of satellites to explore. Thanks.

some of those are C-band so unless you have a huge dish (5 feet or more) yuo can eliminate them :)

tradewinds said:
I have a SatA and a SatB line coming from the DBS LNB, which one do I use. Why are there two of them?

you can use either one

reason there are two is so you can hook up two receivers and each one is independent of the other (so one receiver can be on a horizontal polarity channel and one can be on a Vertical polarity channel)

IC...Well since I have only one FTA STB, I will just leave SatB line out of the equation. OK, thanks so much, wish me luck on this or the princess will kill me if no TV is on in the house ;-)

Final connection setup:
==========================================================================
36" lnb-linear.....splitter......one line to........diseqcPort1.........SG2100..........FTA receiver
......................................other line to.....4x4 switch..............................directv receiver
Pancake 18" lnb......................................4x4 switch..............................directv receiver
36" lnb-circular(DBS).....SatA line...............diseqcPort2..........SG2100.......FTA receiver.

Last edited:
GOOD LUCK!

now to set up the motor, the elevation on the motor is the same as your latitude. As an example, I am in MN at 45 degrees north so the angle on the motor is 45.

Iceberg, just wanted to know if I would still be in the clear. I wanted to get a DTV Phase-III Dish (3 lnb) for the HD stuff and put it in place of the 18" dish in my above setup. I checked and the phase-III has a built in switch with 4 outputs. Would I just use one of the outputs as I did with the 18" dish and would the following be correct:
36" lnb-linear.....splitter......one line to........diseqcPort1.........SG2100..........FTA receiver
......................................other line to.....4x4 switch..............................directv receiver
Phase-III lnb.........one line to.................4x4 switch..............................directv receiver
36" lnb-circular(DBS).....SatA line...............diseqcPort2..........SG2100.... ...FTA receiver.
Thank you.

Last edited:
The Phase III dish should only be connected to your DirecTV system. The internal switch in a Phase III LNBF is not compatible with FTA receivers.

The International DTV dish you have uses a two-piece feedhorn/LNB assembly for the linear (center) position. The circular position (which is offset from the center) is a regular, one-piece plastic DTV LNBF. You cannot replace the linear LNB with a regular Ku linear LNBF since the feedhorn is separate. What you can do is, if you decide on using the Invacom QPH quad LNB, use the C-120 flanged version of it (the QPF). You would un-bolt your current linear DTV LNB from the feedhorn and replace it with the C-120 Invacom QPF-31 in that case. Here is the C-120 flanged version of the Invacom Quad Polar:

http://www.invacom.net/invacom_products.htm - scroll down to the QPF-31.

If you use that LNB, you will get two outputs for circular and two for linear. You could take the plastic DTV LNBF off completely, and set the quad Invacom up as follows: Obtain a DirecTV type 4 x 4 (or even 4 x 8, if you need that many receivers) multiswitch. The Zinwell SAM-4402-3A will do nicely. Connect the two circular (C) outputs from the LNB to the two 'SAT A (101)', or 0k inputs on the 4 x 4 switch. Connect the two linear (L) outputs from the LNB to the two 22k inputs on the 4 x 4 switch. You would then set up the circular DBS satellites in your FTA receiver with 22k 'OFF' and your linear Ku satellites with 22k 'ON'. You would put the switch between the motor and the LNB, not between the motor and the receiver, since motoring can destroy switches. You'll get four outputs from the 4 x 4 switch, so connect the output that goes to your FTA receiver to the 'LNB' side of the motor, and then run a straight coax cable from the 'Receiver' side of the motor to your receiver. Your other three outputs can be connected to other FTA receivers or even DTV receivers, but only your FTA receiver will be able to control your motor.

Last edited:
Tron, Thank you for the very detail explaination. However, I am now very confused. Let me see if from what you have written, if I have this correct.
First, Note, the Phase-III Dish would only be hooked up to DTV receivers, not the FTA receiver.
Second, Are you stating that the existing two lnbs on the Int. Dish will not work as connected as follows:
Int. lnb-linear.....HF splitter......one line to........diseqcPort1.........SG2100..........FTA receiver
Phase-III lnb.........one line to.................4x4 switch..............................directv receiver
Int. lnb-circular(DBS).....SatA line...............diseqcPort2..........SG2100.... ...FTA receiver.
The diseqc switch in the above connection is between the lnb and motor as you have indicated it should be.
So, the question is why would the above connections setup not work and why is the Invacom still needed?
Thanks.:confused:

BTW - Here is a diagram of the set-up which Iceberg and I discussed yesterday with the phase-III in place of the 18".

Attachments

• FTAsetup.jpg
    FTAsetup.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
ok now we have an issue :(

Theres two ways to do it
-if you don't include the 95 dish in the DirecTV setup you need to run one line from each receiver to each port on the Phase III...so you would have 3 lines from the Phase III to the 3 receivers

-if you do decide to include the 95 dish...then you need a 6x8 multiswitch. You HAVE to run all 4 lines from the Phase III to the 6x8 multiswitch (ports 1-4) and port 5 would be for the 95 dish. You cant run one line from the Phase III to the multiswitch

Ok, so going the second way, I have updated the diagram below.

So are you saying the following diagram setup will work? Or do I need to get the Invacom instead as Tron stated? This is really where I am confused.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FTAsetup.jpg
    FTAsetup.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
ok, great thanks. The Invacom lnb mention by Tron got me a bit baffled.

Here is what is happening now. I connected the linear lnb (which according to the DTV receiver signal meter is at 95% pointing to 95W (Galaxy 3C)) directly to my VS2kX FTA receiver and even though some sats show 80%+ signal, not much show any Quality. I have not been able to get any channels on the Galaxy 3C bird to test out the new FTA receiver. Shouldn' it at least list all the channels? I did a blind scan also but no luck so I am wondering if the linear lnb works for FTA? Any ideas? Or maybe I am doing something wrong or didn't so something I should have.

Last edited:
Can you manaully program in a frequency?

If so program this in
11780 frequency
H polarity
20760 symbol rate

This is CCTV (Chinese channels) and they are VERY strong

Make sure in your receiver your LNB LO frequency is 10750

ok, will give it a try and report back. Thanks.

BTW - I am still waiting on the SG2100 to arrive so I only have 95W to play around with to see how the Int. Dish linear lnb will work.

Last edited:
OK, I tried those inputs on the G3C (95W) Sat and still no channels came in. Signal is good and strong but I am not getting consistent quality, not sure if that is why. On my DTV receiver I can view at least one channel (only free one using DTV, rest requires sub) on G3C so at least that should come in on my FTA receiver? right?

Last edited:
If the DirecTV receiver is on, the unit will only put out V polarity because thats the default for 95.

Turn off the DirecTV receiver and the FTA receiver should work on Horizontal polarity.

hmmm....wonder if that LNB maybe only outputs vertical polarity?

the only live 24/7 channels on G3 are H polarity
freq pol symbol
11780 H 20760
11811 H 20000
12050 H 20000

and now I'm a dork because the DirecTv slot on 95 is H too so disregard my above comment (last post)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)