DirecTV Intro price rockets up $25, or 71%

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
The introductory price for DTV Select has gone from $35 a month to $60 a month. The other packages have also gone up $25 per month for the first year. I don't think the price for the second year has gone up though. Still quite an increase

I guess that explains why the mail offer I got yesterday didn’t have pricing for the various packages. Still had the $300 gift card and other usual new customer things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thats capitalism for yea......Love it or hate it, things go up, some faster than others.

Exactly why my we will remain cord cutters.

We are watching everything we want with an antenna and a streaming service. $20.

No way DirecAT&T could compete, especially with this type of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They know what they're doing. What's the point of attracting new customers at a really low rate that are just going to leave after the contract is up? Higher intro rates also mean less sticker shock when the rates go up.

They've obviously taken a quality over quantity approach. At some point, satellite will go away but we're a long, long way from that happening.

Reactions: Jimbo and comp9
They know what they're doing. What's the point of attracting new customers at a really low rate that are just going to leave after the contract is up? Higher intro rates also mean less sticker shock when the rates go up.

They've obviously taken a quality over quantity approach. At some point, satellite will go away but we're a long, long way from that happening.
exactly which is the same exact approach Dish has

They are not even staying that long. They are leaving when the price increases after 1 year.

AT&T's CEO has said they will quit relying so much on promotional pricing and giving customers big discounts to keep them, and don't mind losing the low value customers. They are doing the same thing with Directv Now / AT&T Now, getting rid of the cheaper intro price. In the short term it will mean more customer losses, but in the long term they should have a more stable customer base. Fewer new customers coming in but also fewer customers leaving.

They probably should have done that years ago, Directv has never been known as the discount TV alternative so if they'd concentrated on providing a good customer experience (which is a low bar - they'd only have to be better than the other cable/satellite companies) they'd have a profitable market segment all to themselves. Now they are going with the "premium" pricing but lack the premium customer experience to justify the price. Given AT&T's constant talk about how much things cost them I wouldn't hold my breath for them to make any improvements there.

Most new customers will now head over to Dish or Orby. Since I get about 30 usable OTA channels and about 9 free news and weather channels via Roku, all I need is the Dish Flex Pack or a similar paradigm (Orby).

Most new customers will now head over to Dish or Orby. Since I get about 30 usable OTA channels and about 9 free news and weather channels via Roku, all I need is the Dish Flex Pack or a similar paradigm (Orby).

Cable!

People don’t want dish these days believe it or not.

It’s all about internet and cable can do both very easily in a bundle

Reactions: dishrich
Cable!

Yeah. Traditional pay TV ("cable TV") services are losing subs everywhere but it's WAY worse on satellite than on cable/fiber systems. And it's because the latter can bundle in broadband with pay TV (and also offer a robust on-demand platform too).

DirecTV's losses are significantly worse than DISH's though. Part of that, I'd guess, is due to DTV's higher prices, as well as DTV's big jump in pricing from the first-year promo rate to the second-year standard rate, while DISH has a small discount for the length of the 2-year contract before going up a little in year 3. Part of it, I think, is due to the sad state of DTV's receivers which do not have any popular streaming apps on them. Meanwhile, the Hopper has Netflix and YouTube apps, plus Google Assistant, voice control, auto ad-hopping on some content, and PrimeTime Anytime. The Hopper 3 can record up to 16 shows at once. The DTV Genie can't touch that.

Yeah Directv’s losses seem far worse, but as far as Dish Networks technology people really don’t care.

I have yet to loose a sale to the hopper

You might not be hearing that as something that your customers are specifically telling you but I would definitely bet that the superior feature set of DISH's Hopper helps them somewhat versus DirecTV. AT&T has really let DTV's hardware platform stagnate since taking it over. At this point, I don't know if they'll ever really upgrade it since AT&T's preference is that if a customer has home broadband, they should just opt for AT&T TV instead of DirecTV anyhow. So why bother creating streaming apps for DTV receivers?

Cable!

I totally agree...this week I've gone out with 2 clients to the local Comcast store, to help them switch over from AT&T (internet/phone)/DirecTV bundles. The tip of the iceberg in both cases, was the fact we STILL have 4 locals off the service. The 2nd reason is they want higher speeds than the 24meg they currently get (& they're some of the HIGHER speeds I see people get around town; most only get around 6-12 meg normally) - & since both neighborhoods are underground utilities, AT&T fiber ain't coming there anytime soon! 3rd reason, they're tired of the rain fade & (particularly) loosing the local channels first in a good rainstorm. Both (still) like their DVR's & really had no interest in dealing with streaming...& the fact that Comcast price locks at least the base price for 2 years - AND is also waiving the $10 (full) DVR fee for the 2-years to boot - further made it a no-brainer for them.

While I was in there today, there was at least 2 other people sitting down with the Comcast reps...& AT&T bills in hand. ;)

Last edited:
I totally agree...this week I've gone out with 2 clients to the local Comcast store, to help them switch over from AT&T (internet/phone)/DirecTV bundles. The tip of the iceberg in both cases, was the fact we STILL have 4 locals off the service. The 2nd reason is they want higher speeds than the 24meg they currently get (& they're some of the HIGHER speeds I see people get around town; most only get around 6-12 meg normally) - & since both neighborhoods are underground utilities, AT&T fiber ain't coming there anytime soon! 3rd reason, they're tired of the rain fade & (particularly) loosing the local channels first in a good rainstorm. Both (still) like their DVR's & really had no interest in dealing with streaming...& the fact that Comcast price locks at least the base price for 2 years - AND is also waiving the $10 (full) DVR fee for the 2-years to boot - further made it a no-brainer for them.

While I was in there today, there was at least 2 other people sitting down with the Comcast reps...& AT&T bills in hand. ;)

I sell Comcast, people are pissed off at AT&T.

We just had our best month in 4 years due to these disputes going on