DirecTV Investor Day 2/28 Screen Captures & News

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't get the how the Big Ten Network is only on DirecTV...I've been watching it since last September. Am I the only one who doesn't get that?

Since there is no date on that advertisement, we can't know when it originally was released. There was a period of at least two-three weeks where the Big Ten Network was a DirecTV exclusive, IIRC.

I think he is referring to the add that says Comcast and Dish don't have the Big 10 network. The add is a bit wrong since Dish also carries it.

In looking at the PDF of the PowerPoint slides I found one (slide 86) that showed the span of the 2007 local ad campaigns DirecTV ran. The Big Ten Channel ad campaign ran from August 20th to September 30th, 2007. For at least part of that time, Dish did not carry the Big Ten Network-thus, at that time, the ad was correct.

If I remember right, DishNetwork had BigTenHD before DirecTV did, but DirecTV had the SD version first.

If I remember right, DishNetwork had BigTenHD before DirecTV did, but DirecTV had the SD version first.

You are correct, digiblur, but I reviewed the ad and it did not specifically refer to Big Ten Network HD. It says "Get all the Big Ten action, plus the most sports in HD..."(emphasis added).

The only reason DirecTV did not have the Big Ten Netowrk HD first is that they hadn't started their big HD turn on at the beginning of the last college football season.

They mention voluntary vs. involuntary churn, what's the difference?

Voluntary = People that leave on their own for another provider

Involuntary = People that were disconnected due to non payment or other issues.

At least this is the way I interpret it.

Big Ten was on DISH first. Why show that ad in an investor 4 hour presentation that is 6 months old if in deed that was the ad that appeared back in August. I've never know to be able to invest in to the past. If that was the case I would have copyrighted the Sattelite Guys name long ago and would be klicking back now and reaping the benys...LOL

Broadcast Centers:
Castle Rock, CO
Long Beach, CA (DIRECTV Latin America)
Marina del Rey, CA

I always wondered what that was. I work about a mile away from that Long Beach center and drive past it every day. I knew it was for DirecTV but wasn't sure exactly what they did there.

My commitment with Dish is up in August. If they don't have the HD channels I am looking for by then I will be REALLY tempted to switch. FiOS is coming to my neighborhood this summer too, but IMHO DirecTV seems to be the technological leader now.

Ramy,
Whats the chances that if you need to call in, you'll actually get the one down the street from you ?

1% tops ?

Jimbo

So far 0%. I ask all the time when I call and I have never gotten them.

I got this from another website , Anyone got any comments about this post:
The problem with the SWM Slimline is that as of right now, it will not support legacy equipment like the SWM5 or SWM8 currently do. You will need to upgrade to an H20, HR20/21, D12 or R16.... That will leave a lot of people out. Otherwise, you'll need a 2 dish install. Thats a pretty lousy upgrade to me. I'd rather shell out a few bucks for the SWM8 and then "if" I want to upgrade my legacy equipment, I can over time.

Also, no OTA support or support for 72.5 (being replaced) or 95 dishes...

The SWM Slimline is going to be for very basic installs only.

I got this from another website , Anyone got any comments about this post:
The problem with the SWM Slimline is that as of right now, it will not support legacy equipment like the SWM5 or SWM8 currently do. You will need to upgrade to an H20, HR20/21, D12 or R16.... That will leave a lot of people out. Otherwise, you'll need a 2 dish install. Thats a pretty lousy upgrade to me. I'd rather shell out a few bucks for the SWM8 and then "if" I want to upgrade my legacy equipment, I can over time.

Also, no OTA support or support for 72.5 (being replaced) or 95 dishes...

The SWM Slimline is going to be for very basic installs only.

Don't know about the very basic install part. I see this as mainly for new installations which wouldn't have any legacy hardware to deal with. From what I've seen that was the main point of this, so the installer could use existing cabling in the home to cut down on installation time. If we're talking about an upgrade then probably the person already has the needed cabling in place since legacy DVR's needed two runs to begin with.

Don't know about the very basic install part. I see this as mainly for new installations which wouldn't have any legacy hardware to deal with. From what I've seen that was the main point of this, so the installer could use existing cabling in the home to cut down on installation time. If we're talking about an upgrade then probably the person already has the needed cabling in place since legacy DVR's needed two runs to begin with.
Thats what I took of this as well! What about the 72.5 and 95 satellites. Is Directv ever going to stop using those and put those locals on the 99 satellite or 103

Thats what I took of this as well! What about the 72.5 and 95 satellites. Is Directv ever going to stop using those and put those locals on the 99 satellite or 103

I've seen conflicting info on 72.5 that they need to be off of it by end of the year and other that say they don't since it's really a Canadian spot. As for 99 I've heard nothing about it either way.

It could be that D* would allow for the SWM8 to be used when it's needed for 99 once they're nolonger in a shortage situation. Or they just keep doing what they do now, run a bunch of cable.

Whatever they do, it would be nice if they got this out quick. Many people have said they're waiting for a SWM solution before going to D*.

99 is just for internationals, right?
they would use the regular lnb and wb68, or swm8.

The OTA is not a factor, the hr21 no longer supports in (without addon) and it can/should be wired separate. With D11 they plan to launch most markets in Hd, which will reduce the need for a 72.5 dish.

We are really looking at early 2009 before the swm is used for most new installs.

We are really looking at early 2009 before the swm is used for most new installs.

That REALLY stinks if it will take another year before hitting the street. It appears that the SWM8 is ready for prime time since they're using it for MDU upgrade/installs. So if the functionality of the SWM8 works why would it take another year to intergrate it into the LNB assembly?

99 is just for internationals, right?
they would use the regular lnb and wb68, or swm8.

The OTA is not a factor, the hr21 no longer supports in (without addon) and it can/should be wired separate. With D11 they plan to launch most markets in Hd, which will reduce the need for a 72.5 dish.

I think the 99 has NY local HD MPEG4 on it. Maybe some others as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts