DirecTV iOS app control of receivers

Tampa Satman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Texas
Not sure how many of the group here uses the DirecTV app on a iOS ipad or iphone. I use the app to change the channels on several receivers tucked away in a separate part of the house. Over the past several days I have noticed the app does not show any of the receivers on the network.
I have done my troubleshooting, they all have a valid IP address and each receiver has been refreshed. When I look at the router and each receiver the ip addresses are the same. I have power cycled the DECA's and IP connections.
When I enter the IP address and validate for each receiver on the DirecTV app the app will control the receiver as it supposed to control. But when the app is closed the app loses the settings for the receivers that I entered.
I contacted DirecTV CSR's and they transferred me to several departments with no success.
This issue is likely a coding issue on the update DirecTV updated recently.

Im wondering if any other users are experiencing the same issue.

Technical info:
Ipad Pro with iOS 14.5
DirecTV app version 5.25.504
The receivers range from a Genie to a HR24.

Its impacting the ability to watch my wall of monitors :)

Thanks to all!

Good luck ...
My experience with the D* App has been Horrible ...
So bad that I actually gave up using it several years ago.

You were limited to the channels it would allow ....
Occasionally when I was able to get it to connect to the recvrs, it would work on the channels it had available and I could watch what was on my DVR, then they did something and that won't connect for me ...

Another issue I had was the Locals would work for a day or two and then they wouldn't be listed in the Guide (on the App) any longer, I'd call D* and inquire, sometimes they could fix it, other times not ... if they did fix it, it wouldn't work a few days later ...

Then, when it did work, I could use it at home, but not outside of my home ...

Reactions: AZ.
Good luck ...
My experience with the D* App has been Horrible ...
So bad that I actually gave up using it several years ago.

You were limited to the channels it would allow ....
Occasionally when I was able to get it to connect to the recvrs, it would work on the channels it had available and I could watch what was on my DVR, then they did something and that won't connect for me ...

Another issue I had was the Locals would work for a day or two and then they wouldn't be listed in the Guide (on the App) any longer, I'd call D* and inquire, sometimes they could fix it, other times not ... if they did fix it, it wouldn't work a few days later ...

Then, when it did work, I could use it at home, but not outside of my home ...
I have had pretty good success with the app. Able to change the receiver channel for the game/channel I need. The receivers are not populating on the receiver list as of lately. I sent an email to the Directv presidents offices that I have used for another issue. Will see what the result is of that correspondence.

Go Illini :)

I have had pretty good success with the app. Able to change the receiver channel for the game/channel I need. The receivers are not populating on the receiver list as of lately. I sent an email to the Directv presidents offices that I have used for another issue. Will see what the result is of that correspondence.

Go Illini :)
They still have that email operational ?
I thought I heard a few years back that it was not in use.

Update on the app usage. The Presidents assistant has been in contact for several months. Went through the usual troubleshooting steps....see below. All checked out and verified the receivers have access to the internet. I sent a wireshark packet capture when the ipad attempts to connect to the network. Verified that the app is connecting to the network and receiving packet from D*.

Can anyone else verify they are having problems controlling receivers locally via the D* app?

1. Verify the receiver is connected to the Internet. Using the DIRECTV remote control at the receiver, press the Dash [-] key on the remote.

2. If it says Internet: Connected, continue troubleshooting.

3. If it doesn't say Internet: Connected, troubleshoot at the receiver and not the mobile app.

4. Make sure the receiver is set so all External Devices are set to Allow.

5. Tap the blue sideways arrows at the end of the receiver's row.

6. The Network IP Setup screen opens.

7. Follow the steps at the bottom of the app's screen to find the receiver's IP address, or see Find Receivers IP address.

8. Tap the blank spaces at the top of the app's screen to fill in the receiver's IP address.

9. The IP Address must be a valid Private Network address and match one of these definitions.

a) 10.x.x.x

b) 192.168.x.x

c) 172.17.x.x - 172.31.x.x

10. Tap the Validate button.

11 The receiver should now appear in the list with a green dot and be selectable for control.

12. If the IP address is entered, but the receiver still has a red dot:

13. Verify that the receiver and the customer's device are connected to the same wireless broadband network.

14. Ask the customer for the name of their wireless network.

15. Have the customer go to their device settings (not the settings in the DIRECTV App) and verify the same wireless network (name) appears.

16. Verify with the customer that their device displays the wireless icon at the top and not 3G/4G/5G

The Directv app at some point use to be fine, but that was years ago, the last few years it has been a nightmare. They truly need to adopt engineers/developers that built Netflix/Hulu/Disney plus apps but that would cost $$$$ and might not be worth it for them to do any major redesign to it since I’m sure most Directv satellite subscribers probably never use their apps to watch tv.

App has been updated today for iOS to fix receiver detection on the network. I'll test it when I am home tonight, took them long enough to fix.