DirecTV Latin America forced to walk away from its Venezuela uplink facility

In my opinion, if state of the world allowed for Venezuela to shut down peacefully I believe Directv would have sent in a crew in to salvage the lovely 13m TIW uplink antenna there and some recent, modern equipment that's worth reusing. I don't remember if Venezuela ever upgraded from Klystron amplifiers to TWTs and if so some of the RF equipment might be worth plucking. If they still have Klystrons, then they have zero value these days. Otherwise the Venezuela site has been in operation since about 1996 and I'm sure all the original equipment was written off many years ago.

I hope the former employees in Venezuela are all ok and if they saw and understood what was happening the night of the shutdown and that there was no turning back, I really hope they raped the place of anything valuable and took it home to help pay for food or other needs, They had a fantastic, knowledgeable and very loyal team down there and they deserve better.

Which is property AT&T assumed they'd lose when they made this decision. If they aren't doing business in Venezuela anymore they have no use for it. Not only that, they'll get a tax writeoff from having the equipment seized, which probably nets them more money than if they had tried to sell everything off :)

Reactions: dare2be
I don't know if anyone is following DirecTV Latin America and the Venezuela shutdown, but now there is a third party to go between ATT in the US and Venezuela to isolate the parties and the Venezuela uplink center is back on line providing TV service to Venezuela. I think its odd, that the US State Dept demanded ATT/DirecTV stop servicing Venezuela but if you put a third party in the middle its now ok. What has changed? El Presidente still gets his TV in Venezuela and also gets to broadcast his propaganda over the DTVLA system. I guess there is a way around anything these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)