Directv Latin America

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlmtech

Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Doral
Hi guys I'm new to this whole Satellite thing so please excuse my stupid questions.

I live in the caribbean, currently have directv but we only get the latin american signal, most of the channels are either english with spanish subs or some have only spanish audio.

My question is can i use my current dish to point to the north american sats ? or am i out of the range, secondly would my current latin american subscription be able to access the feeds from the north american signal?

Thanks for your assistance...

well i'm in trinidad & tobago so "technically" i'm on the caribbean signal. but if u look closely caribbean/latin america its the same thing really with the exception of their national channels.
and talking to the direct tv ppl here they all refer to it as latin american feed.
what i don't get is the most of the caribbean is english speaking, yet we get such a huge amount of spanish channels.

what about a larger dish would that work?

The packages and channels may be 99.99% the same but do they come from the same satellite location and have the same footprint coverage? Beams can be very area specific. As far as the language; I am sure there was some study that determine this part; you should email them.

Lager dish; it may and it may not; all you can do is try. It not an exact science as its not intended to be received there. So my best guess would be no for receive everything that the USA gets.

In Puerto Rico the Directv USA I have friends that have them but the have six footer dish to receive them

OK that's not Trinidad & Tobago where the OP said, but do they get all the USA feeds; what size and kind of dish, what kind of HD setup? Help the poster out with some details please.

Here is DirecTV 11 and I see no footprint in that area. If someone else more tech savvy want to read these and chime in with details.

Attachments

• directv11.jpg
    directv11.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 595
Yup my friend move from florida and he got the sat Directv 9 from directv usa and 101 he is recieving it with a six footer he left his address on the account the Florida address works okay he tell ms me. But he has fade issues well for Trinidad and Tobago is not going to happen

DirecTV 10 no footprint in PR or T&B

These are just a sample so not sure what success the OP will have

Attachments

• directv10.jpg
    directv10.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 357
Yup my friend move from florida and he got the sat Directv 9 from directv usa and 101 he is recieving it with a six footer he left his address on the account the Florida address works okay he tellms me

OK that not nearly ALL of DirecTV offerings. Does he get the HD for any of the new SAT positions?

To the OP; maybe you can say what it is you are trying to or must receive?

Hi guys I'm new to this whole Satellite thing so please excuse my stupid questions.

I live in the caribbean, currently have directv but we only get the latin american signal, most of the channels are either english with spanish subs or some have only spanish audio.

My question is can i use my current dish to point to the north american sats ? or am i out of the range, secondly would my current latin american subscription be able to access the feeds from the north american signal?

Thanks for your assistance...

Hi
I used to install this on yachts headed for the Caribbean. This was 5 years or more ago. At that time the service was as you describe - lousy.
Now I see the Direct TV Caribbean site shows a whole different package , HD and DVR receivers and it SAYS, ability to choose English/Spanish audio. I don't know if this is true or not as I am no longer in touch with soutbound yachts, but it reads good. Go to the site and find out why your service does not resemble the description they are giving.
Please post any new info as I may be heading down that way.
Big yachts told me that Dish would work for them most locations with a 2m dish but only yachts > 200ft can really support such a dome. With DTV caribbean 3ft was plenty.

Mysterious ways

One interesting incident happened years ago on the DTV Caribbean business.
A large charter yacht got a months charter for a CEO OF DIRECT tv.
The boss and his girlfriend wanted every channel on earth when in the Caribbean.
The boat had 12 receivers to give full service in each cabin including captain and engineer.
DTV sent us 12 replacement receivers with special features.
Still aiming at the Caribbean satellite at 95 West, they showed every channel which can be seen in the USA including ppv.

The interesting thing about this is it showed that all these channels are broadcast from 95W although the DTV Caribbean receivers will only get a tiny subset.
Whe when put these on board I tried to chat with the DTV tech who made these arrangements. He was a friendly dude but all this stuff is classified.

Most interesting ,yet DTV USA claims they cannot offer service here.
One interesting incident happened years ago on the DTV Caribbean business.
A large charter yacht got a months charter for a CEO OF DIRECT tv.
The boss and his girlfriend wanted every channel on earth when in the Caribbean.
The boat had 12 receivers to give full service in each cabin including captain and engineer.
DTV sent us 12 replacement receivers with special features.
Still aiming at the Caribbean satellite at 95 West, they showed every channel which can be seen in the USA including ppv.

The interesting thing about this is it showed that all these channels are broadcast from 95W although the DTV Caribbean receivers will only get a tiny subset.
Whe when put these on board I tried to chat with the DTV tech who made these arrangements. He was a friendly dude but all this stuff is classified.

All this stuff is a question of copyright, distribution rights in different markets I reckon. It makes life very complicated for travelers, people with holiday homes in another country, expats and so on. Internet is no help as services such as Netflix and Itunes, BBC video check the IP to see if the user is in USA or an authorised zone when signing up.
DVDs even are coded for the market and you have to get an illegal opened-up player to do the zones and transmission standards.
Its a conspiracy to keep those guys in the stone age.
Direct TV Caribbean covers that area and on down into S. America with a good signal requiring only a 3ft dish. but I don't know how the service is these days.
The description on their site has never been correct in my experience.
I emailed them but no reply. They are in Trinidad and back when I used to install their machines by the dozen, the service was truly awful.
As a matter of interest the French Caribbean has an excellent service with French programming and with a stunning signal requiring only a piece of wet string. They say a cigarette placed at the dish focus will spontaneously light up.
If you work on ocean-going yachts you have to get deep into world wide TV. As they move from zone to zone, say the Med to the Caribbean or USA they have to swap out all the receivers, LNBs and pointing data - same for vsat internet service and then - worst of all - the siging on and off providers. Its a nightmare but pays good.

Thanks for all the info guys, honestly here's the problem a lot of channels are 1 couple weeks/month behind the us in terms of programming dates.
secondly the language sucks. I contacted direct tv and they said its possible to pick up the signal but it will be extremely poor with the regular dishes thats why they dont offer the North American signal here. so we have to suffer with tons of spanish programming.
i'm thinking maybe i can get an 8 footer and try my luck seeing that respsonse i got so far i'm sure with the help of u guys i should be able to pull something off.

I dont really care for hd, just want some good quality programming with a good enough signal.

"I contacted direct tv and they said its possible to pick up the signal but it will be extremely poor with the regular dishes thats why they dont offer the North American signal here."

The above is NOT why they don't offer the US service there; sorry; someone fibbed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)