DIRECTV Launches $30 Premier PPV Service Thursday

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That niche is extremely small. Showing it at a church/school group would be illegal anyway because the showing would not fall under the definition of "private viewing".

I don't think its a niche and nor is it that small. I know people on this site dont speak highly of PPV but if it was not a revenue generator the bandwidth would be used for something else.

I am sure for some people this will work out fine, but for me, I can be patient and wait a few months and buy the Blu-ray, which has an uncompressed picture (yes even 1080p is compressed on sat) and lossless audio, and actually own the movie forever with all the extras. Seems like a huge waste to me.
Nitpicking here but technically Blu-Ray is still compressed. It's certainly at a much higher bitrate than D*, but it's still compressed.

That niche is extremely small. Showing it at a church/school group would be illegal anyway because the showing would not fall under the definition of "private viewing".

Actually its not; it would be dependent on how the account is setup and making sure they were not charging to view the material; this has all been gone over before and they have very legal ways of doing this via DirecTV. I know a few churches that do this. I think the costs are more as well. But trust me; a small niche for sure, but not nearly as small as you are thinking and likely this will pay dividends, even if tiny ones. It has a market. If any of my kids wanted to do a movie night sleep over with just 10 friends I would highly consider it!!! multi-channel surround on the 96" or 106" and AT HOME??? HMMM $$$$, trouble and time saved!

Last edited:
I dont think its that bad of a deal.

When I take my family of 4 out to the movies it is around $80 if not more...

Plus I know what my home theater can do, its always a crap shoot when I go to the movies... no ringing cell phones, no people talking, no people yelling SHHHHHH, no crying screaming kids, no one kicking the back of your seat, and no sticky floors.

$30 isnt a bad deal at all. I am intereted in seeing their initial list of movies. :)

I have 5 Daughters so for us to go to a movie is $60 buck without food!!!

There you go Scott & Caeboy; its funny how fast most users forget simple math (remember to price 1st runs)... But you guys figured it out real fast!

Nope. A 7 o'clock show. In a brand new theater with stadium seating. We purchased 1 drink and 1 popcorn, both with unlimited refills. $7 for the popcorn and drink. And I live in Little Rock Metro.

I don't have any troubles with "crowds", someone kicking my chair, cellphones, kids crying, etc.. in movie theaters.
No big deal to go to a movie theater if I want to, better than paying $30 for one movie 60 days after it hits the movie theater whether it's one to 30 people in my living room watching it.

Red Riding Hood is now playing $29.99 for 2 day rental...
I just checked and that comes out on DVD 6-14 and I'm sure regular D* ppv also. There is no movie I can't wait 30 days for. Especially since they send me 4.99 and 5.99 coupons quite frequently.

So lemme get this straight. A movie that came out two months ago, and that is one month away from Blu Ray release is $30 on PPV? I fail to see the attraction when you can wait a few weeks and own it for $25-30, rent it from Red Box for $1.50 or add it to your Netflix queue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.