DirecTV let me order PPV via remote without phone line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beachbumcaz

Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I was able to order a PPV movie on my receiver with remote without a phone line connected to it. This is on the new HR22 HD DVR receiver.

Since I do not have a phone line. How will DirecTV ever know? Is there a certain time limit where you need to plug into a phone line at some point to pay for old PPV purchases?

If so, can I use any phone number to plug into or does it need to be the number on your account?

Any information would be helpful.

Matt

If you have your receiver connected to your home network it would communicate that way to Directv.

That's not an option for me. I just need to know if I can leave it as is and buy the rest of my PPV movies online.

I only have one ppv purchase via remote but just needed to know how to deal with it.

Okay. But what happens to the only movie that I bought via remote? I am fine with buying the rest online . . .

It won't be billed until you plug it into a telephone line/network connection or the receiver is returned. You can only order so many pay per view movies w/out being billed before it stops you from ordering anymore.

Okay. But I will still be fine if I decide to order online, correct? I will just pay for the movie when I return the receiver next time I upgrade.

DirecTV is hesitant to release this type of information to it's customers, for understandable reasons. That being said, I wasn't aware of a time limit that would shut down programming if the receiver hasn't called back in after so many days with a PPV purchase to be billed. I do know that there is a limit on the number of shows that can be purchased before it must communicate back with DirecTV.

Something to be aware of is that once the receiver is returned to DirecTV, or communicates with it, all PPV's waiting to be charged will show up on your next bill.

Is that a fact? So what they will shut your programming down on your receiver?

Yes, you can go online and order it. The bonus is that all receivers will receive the PPV, not just the one you ordered it on.

I have never heard of a receiver being shut off because of one PPV not being billed. You are ok.

Something to be aware of is that once the receiver is returned to DirecTV, or communicates with it, all PPV's waiting to be charged will show up on your next bill.

LOL yea they do.. I upgraded a customer a while back that could order to his hearts content on an older box w/o a phone line. He called me up about a week after his upgrade cuz D* turned him off for $1200 in PBTV and SpiceX charges...and was mad that *I* billed him oO He even tried to tell D* that I must have ordered them after I left his house. It was even time stamped oO

If it was me, I would just run a long phone line for a little while let it do it thing then unplug it. Or hook it up to an internet connection for alittle bit.

Why risk chance of coming home from work one day ready to watch the big game, then the box nagging you to plug it into a phone line?

Who knows what directv has setup after a certain amount of time now.

If it was me, I would just run a long phone line for a little while let it do it thing then unplug it. Or hook it up to an internet connection for alittle bit.

Why risk chance of coming home from work one day ready to watch the big game, then the box nagging you to plug it into a phone line?

Who knows what directv has setup after a certain amount of time now.
I agree, get a long phone cord. I remember in the olden days having a 50 foot phone cord to my computer, and winding it back up after every use. Memories of days past.

ok, I got that part now.
But what if I have two different phone lines/numbers in my home.
In my case one of the tv's is located in our home office, which is a different phone number. So at the moment it's not connected to a receiver, because I don't want to mess up our service.
Will Directv get upset if they see two different no.'s or do they not even care or know what number the receiver is dialing from?
thx!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts