DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just think about it ... apple Phones and pads cost >500 . Apple TV things are like 200 +

What would they charge for NFL ST 700 ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It won't matter because my guess is Amazon will end up getting the ST deal. They've got a great relationship already with the NFL, locking up the Thursday night package starting next season and using AWS to power the Next Gen Stats site (NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats).

It won't matter because my guess is Amazon will end up getting the ST deal. They've got a great relationship already with the NFL, locking up the Thursday night package starting next season and using AWS to power the Next Gen Stats site (NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats).
Amazon makes the most sense, but Apple has $200 billion in cash it is just sitting on and seems like they want to spend it.

Amazon only has $84 billion in cash.

Yeah, Amazon still makes the most sense to me. I still don't see how it makes much sense for Apple unless it's the beginning of something entirely different from a production perspective for them.

With Amazon it becomes a value-added service in a production and consumer consumption pipeline that already exists. Apple largely has to start from scratch.

I sub to Apple+ at least several months/year, so I'd benefit if it was just added to that to bolster subs, we'll see where it ends up.

Reactions: AZ.
Yeah, Amazon still makes the most sense to me. I still don't see how it makes much sense for Apple unless it's the beginning of something entirely different from a production perspective for them.

With Amazon it becomes a value-added service in a production and consumer consumption pipeline that already exists. Apple largely has to start from scratch.

I sub to Apple+ at least several months/year, so I'd benefit if it was just added to that to bolster subs, we'll see where it ends up.
Value added to what amazon service?
Directv used it to sell satellite tv

Amazon would just be selling overpriced NFL games that many directv customers got for free or with a huge discount..not much value for a stand alone service

Reactions: AZ.
Value added to what amazon service?
Directv used it to sell satellite tv

Amazon would just be selling overpriced NFL games that many directv customers got for free or with a huge discount..not much value for a stand alone service
Considering DirecTV has been losing $600-800 million a year on it for awhile now and have lost about 8 million subs the last 6 years, not such a good idea.

If someone wanted it to help sell a service, that would be good for ESPN+, but Disney is in a cash crunch right now and spending at least 2 billion for something that might help is a risk right now.

Apple and Amazon are really the only ones that can risk the high costs of NFLST because of how much cash they both have, Amazon has the most chance of selling it as a stand alone service because they have so many Prime members.

How much they charge for it will affect how many subs they get, but as I have pointed out before, if they charge it low, say $100, they would only need 20 million to subscribe to it and break even ( basically), can they get that many, no one knows yet.

If they charge too high, how many can they get.

These numbers also show why DirecTV has not been in the news stories keeping NFLST, if they sell it for $300, that means they need a tad less then 7 million subs to NFLST and break even, well they charge that price now and can only get 2 million subs.

What ever streaming thing they decide i hope it will still be an option on DirecTV!

Not everyone has a good ISP for the streaming things ..

Yes was talking about how Apple stuff usually cost a lot compared to other vendors.

Hardly anything anyone can complain about given what it costs to have Directv for a year.

Anyway, you don't need an Apple device to get Apple TV+. There's an Apple TV+ app available on Roku, and probably the other set tops / sticks as well. So the only cost beyond whatever NFLST costs would be $5/month for the four months a year of the NFL season. Surely $20/year isn't too bad compared to $1000+ for Directv?

Reactions: John2021
Considering DirecTV has been losing $600-800 million a year on it for awhile now and have lost about 8 million subs the last 6 years, not such a good idea.

If someone wanted it to help sell a service, that would be good for ESPN+, but Disney is in a cash crunch right now and spending at least 2 billion for something that might help is a risk right now.

Apple and Amazon are really the only ones that can risk the high costs of NFLST because of how much cash they both have, Amazon has the most chance of selling it as a stand alone service because they have so many Prime members.

How much they charge for it will affect how many subs they get, but as I have pointed out before, if they charge it low, say $100, they would only need 20 million to subscribe to it and break even ( basically), can they get that many, no one knows yet.

These numbers also show why DirecTV has not been in the news stories keeping NFLST, if they sell it for $300, that means they need a tad less then 7 million subs to NFLST and break even, well they charge that price now and can only get 2 million subs.
Its just not a money maker by itself unless they come up with a reasonbly priced single team plan or something similar

Yes was talking about how Apple stuff usually cost a lot compared to other vendors.

you can download the apple t.v. app on different divices. no needt to pony up for an apple t.v. box.. and beside the last time i used an apple t.v. box the remote experience sucked!!!

Starlink is currently Very Expensive.
this is very true 600.00 for hardware and another 100.00 smakers for a 100 mbps connection:mad:. though id'e prob pay it vs dealing with a crappy ISP!!! could be worse they could be on hugesnet or viacrap!!!

I'm gonna guess that if Amazon gets it (between them and Apple, I'd rather it go to Amazon) you have to be a Prime member to get it, so that $130 first, then for the right to have the ST, what will they want ?
We'll everyone knows that it sold for $300+ with D*, even though they gave it away at the end. (remember, they have had it for a long time now).
I would take a guess that Amazon would charge at LEAST $200 ..... for the basic ST and obviously more for the Fantasy version.
Gonna say that it will cost $200 the first year (plus the cost of Prime $130) so your at the same amount of money over all $330.
It may start a little lower, but it will go up over $200 and up over the next 3 years and you'll be paying more for the ST from them than what you were from D* shortly.

you can download the apple t.v. app on different divices. no needt to pony up for an apple t.v. box.. and beside the last time i used an apple t.v. box the remote experience sucked!!!
They have updated the remote with the newest box, and you can buy it stand alone as well.

Reactions: John2021
I would take a guess that Amazon would charge at LEAST $200 ..... for the basic ST and obviously more for the Fantasy version.
Gonna say that it will cost $200 the first year (plus the cost of Prime $130) so your at the same amount of money over all $330.
It may start a little lower, but it will go up over $200 and up over the next 3 years and you'll be paying more for the ST from them than what you were from D* shortly.

Amazon is good at monetizing your presence on their network. With gaming opportunities and more traditional advertising, I could see Amazon charging the same for ST as CBS, Fox and NBC charge to watch local NFL games. They can monetize your viewing through other means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon is good at monetizing your presence on their network. With gaming opportunities and more traditional advertising, I could see Amazon charging the same for ST as CBS, Fox and NBC charge to watch local NFL games. They can monetize your viewing through other means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charge to watch local game ? What? Local games are free via antenna unless you saying what they charge tv providers to re broadcast their signals ...

Charge to watch local game ? What? Local games are free via antenna unless you saying what they charge tv providers to re broadcast their signals ...

I think the suggestion is that it would be included in Prime. Which IMO is more likely than $300 / season. People again forgetting they don't need to make all the annual money back in sub fees. There's value above and beyond that and it isn't required to be a main pillar of their service the way it was for DirecTV at one point.

I think a $50-$100 fee for the NFL season would be impulse-purchase territory for even tangential fans of the sport, they would print money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.