DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Discussion of how many people have “good internet” versus how many have DirecTV are irrelevant. The number of people who do not have “good internet” and who, never will is significant. The number of people who cannot get DirecTV is not.

Yet another argument that doesn't make any sense. Exponentially more people have excellent internet than even have DirecTV. So sports fans who do not want a $3000+ 2-year contract prerequisite to subscribe to Sunday Ticket will see that reduced significantly if not completely vanish.

Yet another argument that doesn't make any sense. Exponentially more people have excellent internet than even have DirecTV. So sports fans who do not want a $3000+ 2-year contract prerequisite to subscribe to Sunday Ticket will see that reduced significantly if not completely vanish.
I get that, not everyone wants DIRECTV as a whole just to get ST, but what if Google gets the rights, do we have to sub to YouTube TV to get the ticket? Isn't that like the same thing you're describing, I don't want streaming TV, I'm fine with my DTV service, if Spectrum can get my internet fixed to where it doesn't go out every day, like now, in middle of downloading Madden 23 for PC on EA Play Pro, stops 3/4ths through internet goes down, saying there's noise in the lines, they come Tuesday, so I'll have a year to know if streaming will work fine for me, cause my speeds are great, when it works.

And what they should just do, and stop being so money hungry, the NFL that is, is open it to every TV provider like MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.... are, if it does go streaming, I hope it's Apple, I love Apple TV+, I have no issue with Prime, except that I have issues with Yankee games on Friday nights.

As for everyone doesn't have reliable internet, it's true, IMO anyway, what about those who have to have Satellite internet that have caps, how will they be able to watch games, plus go online during the week? Rural areas that don't have FIBER or Broadband, just DSL, that isn't fast enough, I've had it, only Verizon DSL & Spectrum is available here, besides Viasat, HughesNet, etc.... Not going satellite where I'm capped, glad my AT&T wireless service is truly unlimited, so at worse I can stream on my iPad, to my TV.

I get that, not everyone wants DIRECTV as a whole just to get ST, but what if Google gets the rights, do we have to sub to YouTube TV to get the ticket? Isn't that like the same thing you're describing, I don't want streaming TV, I'm fine with my DTV service, if Spectrum can get my internet fixed to where it doesn't go out every day, like now, in middle of downloading Madden 23 for PC on EA Play Pro, stops 3/4ths through internet goes down, saying there's noise in the lines, they come Tuesday, so I'll have a year to know if streaming will work fine for me, cause my speeds are great, when it works.

There are certainly challenges with ever potential outcome, regardless of required services. Up to the winner of the bidding to put together a value proposition to get the desired ROI. Google for example could sweep Sunday Ticket into the same UI and everything as YoutubeTV but not require it, offering free weekends and other previews to subscribers. Because their customer acquisition costs are so low compared to something like DirecTV, they have the flexibility in that scenario to just give you YoutubeTV for the NFL season included in the cost of Sunday Ticket, since a percentage of customers may opt to keep it and then it drives new YoutubeTV subs, and even sweeten the pot with other promotions (HBO, etc).

IMO I think a lot of the potential streaming options will be more about getting you into their ecosystem, rather than requiring other services.

And what they should just do, and stop being so money hungry, the NFL that is, is open it to every TV provider like MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.... are, if it does go streaming, I hope it's Apple, I love Apple TV+, I have no issue with Prime, except that I have issues with Yankee games on Friday nights.

As for everyone doesn't have reliable internet, it's true, IMO anyway, what about those who have to have Satellite internet that have caps, how will they be able to watch games, plus go online during the week? Rural areas that don't have FIBER or Broadband, just DSL, that isn't fast enough,

Again, not every rural area is the same, I live in what is considered rural, I have Broadband.

Just a few years ago, it was 80% of the population has broadband available to them, 20% did not, now it is 85%/15% thank to the government subsidizing build outs to those areas, wireless and services like Star Link.

It is getting better in those areas.
I've had it, only Verizon DSL & Spectrum is available here, besides Viasat, HughesNet, etc.... Not going satellite where I'm capped, glad my AT&T wireless service is truly unlimited, so at worse I can stream on my iPad, to my TV.

What is wrong with Spectrum then, it has great speeds and no data cap.

Again, not every rural area is the same, I live in what is considered rural, I have Broadband.

Just a few years ago, it was 80% of the population has broadband available to them, 20% did not, now it is 85%/15% thank to the government subsidizing build outs to those areas, wireless and services like Star Link.

It is getting better in those areas.

What is wrong with Spectrum then, it has great speeds and no data cap.
I have Spectrum, my internet goes in and out everyday, I have them coming out Tuesday to check the lines, they say there is noise in the lines, so I hope they can fix it, cause it's ridiculous that I can't use it, I have to use my Mobile Hotspots 80% of the time.

I have Spectrum, my internet goes in and out everyday, I have them coming out Tuesday to check the lines, they say there is noise in the lines, so I hope they can fix it, cause it's ridiculous that I can't use it, I have to use my Mobile Hotspots 80% of the time.

Yeah I'm so connected all day every day, few things are worse than unreliable internet.

nothing ever works right with spectrum. why i left them!!! and trying to get them to fix sh*t forget it.

nothing ever works right with spectrum. why i left them!!! and trying to get them to fix sh*t forget it.
They have been almost perfect for me except for two little issues, their modems, have had two from them, both went out( within my first 6 months with them), bought my own ( Amazon had it to me same day), since then, 18 months ago, perfect.

I do have Star Link as a back up service, since I now live in Florida, waiting for that big Hurricane that would knock out service for weeks, a lifetime for me without the internet.

Reactions: John2021
They have been almost perfect for me except for two little issues, their modems, have had two from them, both went out( within my first 6 months with them), bought my own ( Amazon had it to me same day), since then, 18 months ago, perfect.

I do have Star Link as a back up service, since I now live in Florida, waiting for that big Hurricane that would knock out service for weeks, a lifetime for me without the internet.
there internets is pretty good i think it's the one thing that they do right. i dumped em once i fould out i could put a verizon 5G jetpack on my acct for $ 15.00 a month and get 5G speeds!!! i also dumped em when i moved and they said no more whole home DVR when i moved to a different zip code :mad: . and when they downloaded the new spectrum guide that was a disaster in itself!!!

And you think Starlink will work thru a Hurricane ?

And you think Starlink will work thru a Hurricane ?

I think he's talking about the week after a major hurricane before power is restored in some areas. That knocks out all the ISPs because while they may have generators in the main offices they don't in all the cabinets closer to where you live. Those are either directly on utility power or have batteries that last for maybe a day at best.

So if you have a generator or solar+batteries Starlink would keep you going, though at $100/month sounds like a very expensive backup to have just sitting there unless they let you buy the equipment but not activate the service until you need it.

Reactions: Jimbo
I think he's talking about the week after a major hurricane before power is restored in some areas. That knocks out all the ISPs because while they may have generators in the main offices they don't in all the cabinets closer to where you live. Those are either directly on utility power or have batteries that last for maybe a day at best.
Yep.
So if you have a generator or solar+batteries Starlink would keep you going, though at $100/month sounds like a very expensive backup to have just sitting there unless they let you buy the equipment but not activate the service until you need it.
Have a stand by ready to go with the largest (that I was allowed to have) propane tank in the backyard, enough for two weeks.

As for everyone doesn't have reliable internet, it's true, IMO anyway, what about those who have to have Satellite internet that have caps, how will they be able to watch games, plus go online during the week? Rural areas that don't have FIBER or Broadband, just DSL, that isn't fast enough, I've had it, only Verizon DSL & Spectrum is available here, besides Viasat, HughesNet, etc.... Not going satellite where I'm capped, glad my AT&T wireless service is truly unlimited, so at worse I can stream on my iPad, to my TV.
It will be an exclusive! The NFL wants it that way. They want guaranteed money and they won't get it doing on a per subscriber basis as the other sports packages are handled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.