Directv lnb for fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roni

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I was wondering if you can use a directv lnb for fta? If so what are the advantages or disadvantages?

the Directv LNB only picks up a small amount of channels that are "in the clear" meaning they are free. Don't expect anything amazing. I recommend getting a Ku LNB like the Invacom or a standard Ku LNB from one of our gold sponsors.

With a directv LNB, the best thing on there is NASA at 119 West and some music channels.

Last edited:
I just got an old DTV dish with a 3 headed LNB, the AU2-F1. I would like to try to use it for NASA TV. I tried with my Invacom Quad circular output on my existing 90cm dish and changed the LNB setting to 10600 but I couldn't find NASA with the Mercury II power scan.

The 3 head lnb has 4 coax connectors on it. Can I use any one of them to try for NASA on 119? The dish has skew adjustment and it appears to be set about right for my area. It was previously used about 100 air miles west of my location. I plan to leave it where it is to start. Is this thing even going to work? I hope to get more old 18" dishes some day and I was hoping to be able to point one at G10. Are they too small for that? And finally what would be the best abandoned small dish to look for, for FTA use?

A funny thing happened when I first got my FTA equipment. I went to the trash station to dump some trash and I looked in the metal bin to try to find a good pole to use, and in the bin was an old 18 inch dish. It was too deep to retrieve by hand and the hook pole that they keep around there wasn't nearby. Also there were other trash dumpers waiting and the dish didn't have the lnb arm or the mounting pole with it. It could have been in there somewhere but I had to let it go at that time. One previous trip I made long ago there was a BUD in the metal bin. I wanted that thing really bad but I couldn't get it. I don't feel right going to the dump unless I bring something back in trade for what I give them.

I just got an old DTV dish with a 3 headed LNB, the AU2-F1. I would like to try to use it for NASA TV. I tried with my Invacom Quad circular output on my existing 90cm dish and changed the LNB setting to 10600 but I couldn't find NASA with the Mercury II power scan.
LNB setting for DBS is 11250 :)

The 3 head lnb has 4 coax connectors on it. Can I use any one of them to try for NASA on 119? The dish has skew adjustment and it appears to be set about right for my area. It was previously used about 100 air miles west of my location. I plan to leave it where it is to start.
the LNB on the far right (if you are standing behind the dish) is the only one that works for DBS. the middle one is screwy and the left one only has part of the transponders. I would skew it to 90 (so all LNB's are the sasme height). Makes it easier to aim dish :)

Is this thing even going to work?
for NASA? Sure. They work fine
I hope to get more old 18" dishes some day and I was hoping to be able to point one at G10. Are they too small for that?
need at least a 30" dish for G10. KU Band is lower powered satellites than DBS so a 30" would pretty much be the minimum for stable reception

OK. Thanks a lot. I did have it on 11250.

I said 10600 from memory (which is always a bad thing for me to rely on). I just took a Sharpie and marked the connector you told me to use or I would forget that too by the time I went up on the roof.

When I get results I will post them. Thanks again.

Be careful of some of these multi LNBs for DBS. They tend to have a built-in multiswitch which I think is only accessable from the DBS style receivers. Maybe I'm wrong?

Just a note.

Uh oh. This one says it has a built-in multi switch.

I do have an older DTV receiver that I was going to try to use to align the dish with. It was for use with a single lnb dish so I'm not sure it's even capable of switching this other thing that I have now. Will the DTV boxes receive the NASA channel in the clear?

Be careful of some of these multi LNBs for DBS. They tend to have a built-in multiswitch which I think is only accessable from the DBS style receivers. Maybe I'm wrong?

Just a note.

DirecTV uses 22k switching and the 119 LNB has the 22k "ON"...the 101 has it off so it will work to be aimed at a DBS slot like 119

confused yet?

The Phase III dish's LNB's are set up as such (this is the general rule)

the "101" slot (far right one if behind the dish) has the 22k option off and has all 32 TP's
the "110" slot (middle) is an oddball satellite. It has TP's 28,30 & 32 in it. What it does is combines with the "119" slot and puts the TP's on 8,10 & 12.
the "119" slot (far left) has TP's 22-32 on it only and has the 22k on. Some of the older Phase III had this LNB from 13-32 but the newer ones are just 22-32 which is the TP's Direct owns at 119

so the "101" slot works fine for any DBS satellite

Better to buy new lnb?

So I am guessing that I would be better off to buy a new lnb. What would you guys suggest?

My old DTV receiver is now dead. I think I had a short on the lnb cable that might have zapped the power supply. Maybe it was defective when I got it out of the trash. It worked for a while but it kept shutting it's self off and it never showed a signal when connected to the C output of the Invacom Quad, even though I used the Mercury II to point the dish.

Anyway I can't use the dish alignment part of the DTV receiver like I was planning to, so if I connect the 18" dish to the Mercury II should I set the LNB to 11250?

yes

set the LO to 11250 and if you are aiming at 119, select a H transponder (the 1st 5 vertical TP's are spotbeams) and aim the dish at 119 :)

Got it. Thanks a lot.

There are major high winds today so I can't get up there right now but I will post my results when I do.

I always wondered why the "dead" transponders on 119w :) More than once I've had a "D'oh!" moment because of them :D

yep 1,3,5,7,9 on 119 are spotbeams for mainly the NE part of the US, the NW and California. Nothing remotelly close to MN so I always say to aim with a H transpnoder sicne those are CONUS :)

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to cancel the 18" dish project for now. I was just doing it for experimental fun to see if I could receive anything with it.

I think I have my system set up well enough to start trying to use a diseq switch, so I can get to the circular LNB on the Invacom without swapping cables as I have been doing. Is there any legitimate use for circular other than NASA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.