Directv Local Channels always free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

donyoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I am looking at the June 30, 2006 sports section of USA Today. At the bottom of the front page of the sports section is a Directv advertisement.

" All your local channels included. Celebrate this July 4th knowing that DIRECTV never changes extra for local channels,"

This is news to me. I had been paying a monthly charge for locals until the local ABC affiliate here in Denver finally made their digital ATSC signal available to North Denver. The advertisement has no qualifications on the statement; no mention of HD locals.

Don

DISH Network dropped the locals out of their packages in Feb.2006 to minimize their price increase, Directv didn't. Now Directv is trying to capitalize on the fact their current programming packages include the local channels where available and DISH charges $5 extra for them. If you became a Directv subscriber when locals were an option you maybe grandfathered in at lower prices.

boba said:
DISH Network dropped the locals out of their packages in Feb.2006 to minimize their price increase, Directv didn't. Now Directv is trying to capitalize on the fact their current programming packages include the local channels where available and DISH charges $5 extra for them. If you became a Directv subscriber when locals were an option you maybe grandfathered in at lower prices.

Oh, I see. I didn't know they did that. They still have packages with no locals, so I guess I was misled by the advertisement... for my particular case. Typical marketing speel.

Don

Actually, grandfathered locals may be at a higher price, to compensate for the lower charge on an expired base package. Check to see what is on your bill-you might be able to switch to a new base package that will save you money. However, check the channel line-ups carefully-you wouldn't want to accidentally lose some channels in the switch. (Oh, and it's L-O-S-E, folks... "loose" is the opposite of tight!)

One more thing-you also may remeber that D* used to advertise their "no locals" price and then make a note that locals are $3 extra. When they added the last big batch of locals in 2004, they decided that so many markets (by percentage of TV households) had locals available that they would make the "with locals" price the advertised price and the "no locals" be the commented price... just the opposite of E*!

Therefore, make sure your not paying extra for channels that you already pick up thru your OTA antenna.

They had my locals on, even though I made a point of it when I turned D* on.

I just happen to be on the phone with them and asked about it because I was going over my bill with them.

The standard price for the current packages include the locals, I had been paying extra for channels I technically did not know where on.

I told them and they deducted the $ 3 p/m from my bill and credited me the difference as well.

I was taken care of without any trouble, I 've had pretty good luck with D*s people.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)