DirecTV Mirroring is Horrible

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Totally agreed, but OP already said he was miroring instead of MRV due to MRV cost.

Actually he didn't say that and the two are not mutually exclusive. I use a combination of both at both my D* home and my E* home both with whole home DVR systems.

Just get a powered HDMI splitter (like For only $29.29 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1x2 HDMI® Amplifier Splitter | HDMI Powered & Passive 1 X 2 Splitters) and run a HDMI line to the 2nd TV assuming it's a normal modern TV.

If the 2nd TV is a old tube TV just take a old VCR and connect the yellow/white/red from the directv hd receiver to the vcr's input and connect the RF out to the 2nd tv.

As for the remote, get a RF DirecTV remote.

heh.. in text (in Firefox) it looks like 29 cents.. but the splitter is $29.29.. I think the point is that with DTV, you are looking at ~$30 (splitter) + ~$40(long HDMI cable) + ~$25(RF remote).. ie. close to $100 to add just 1 "mirrored" TV2 .... the costs of subsequent TV2's could be reduced by investing in a 1-to-N splitter as the initial purchase.

on my Dish 622, I had *3* TVs connected to TV2 ... all for the cost of 1 extra remote (I used a universal remote for TV1... used the 'free' TV2 remote in TV2a, used the TV1 remote for TV2b, and bought a spare remote for TV2c).. using the "free" already installed (by CableTV, previous owner) coax in the house... not to mention the possible expense of running those long HDMI cables.

Its not HD.. for but many people, this will be good enough for infrequently used TVs (ie. guest bedroom, screened porch), and VERY cost-effective.

So I see no issue saying mirroring with DTV is much less convenient vs. what Dish offered with the 622/722 TV2 output.

agreed, there is no reason for DTV to make it easy.. but I'm the consumer trying to spend as little as possible, not the company trying to make as much as possible, so there is no reason to consider "why" it might be less convenient, only that it _is_.

AGAIN, many if not most people have a vcr they can use as a modulator. If the box you want to mirror is a dvr, then it comes with an rf remote. Then the only extra cost would be composite and coaxial cables. Cheap!

Moca is even better and works fine on existing coax since that's what Dish and DirecTV use themselves.
Unfortunately neither provides their content in a format that can be distributed over MoCA without paying a monthly fee for a receiver. In DIRECTV's case they haven't made the receiver available yet.

In the example that you give DIRECTV also has the fatal flaw of forcing you to use an HD component converter as they can't seem to figure out how to make their GUI display on both HD and SD screens at the same time.

While the hardware part of these solutions work, they are relatively expensive and DIRECTV makes it surprisingly complicated to use effectively.

harshness said:
Unfortunately neither provides their content in a format that can be distributed over MoCA without paying a monthly fee for a receiver. In DIRECTV's case they haven't made the receiver available yet.

In the example that you give DIRECTV also has the fatal flaw of forcing you to use an HD component converter as they can't seem to figure out how to make their GUI display on both HD and SD screens at the same time.

While the hardware part of these solutions work, they are relatively expensive and DIRECTV makes it surprisingly complicated to use effectively.

Do you think they can't figure out how to use the GUI in SD and HD or more of a tool to keep people from mirroring to begin with and lease more receivers?

AGAIN, many if not most people have a vcr they can use as a modulator. If the box you want to mirror is a dvr, then it comes with an rf remote. Then the only extra cost would be composite and coaxial cables. Cheap!

By most standards I'm a bit of a packrat... I've got *boxes* of electronic/cables mish-mash in the attic (much to the displeasure of the wife).. not a single VCR among them.. I gave mine away years ago to parents, friends, etc.. heck, I don't even have a standalone DVD player anymore.

Do you think they can't figure out how to use the GUI in SD and HD or more of a tool to keep people from mirroring to begin with and lease more receivers?
Given the certain complication of using HD receivers (we're talking about a WHDS environment here) with TVs that may not have line level inputs, I would hope not. Forcing someone to acquire another receiver and an RF modulator to go with is something that the marketroids may not have conceived of..

Its not even worth selling a mirror these days. Its easier just to tell the customer to spend the extra $6 per month for an additional receiver.

Not only do you have the RF Modulator issue, with so many customers getting HDTV's today, your doing the customer a dis-service connecting it up with SD.

You do a mirror the customer is going to spend close to $100 for what, to save $6 per month? Not worth it.

Its not even worth selling a mirror these days. Its easier just to tell the customer to spend the extra $6 per month for an additional receiver.

Not only do you have the RF Modulator issue, with so many customers getting HDTV's today, your doing the customer a dis-service connecting it up with SD.

You do a mirror the customer is going to spend close to $100 for what, to save $6 per month? Not worth it.

Lesse, I was with Dish for ~4 years... I had 2 TV2s on the 622.. $6/month * 2 TVs = $12/month * 48 months == $576 saved (minus the ~$20 I spent on the extra remote) (and I had "whole home DVR" 5 years before DirectTV). Worth every penny in my opinion.

With sd on the second tv, it's not worth it to me.

Response

My original post wasn't about a SatelliteGuys regular, existing DirecTV customer, do-it-yourself-er, who loves learning about AV equipment options. It's about non-DirecTV customers who are promised the world by DirecTV sales personel.

Are you new to DirecTV? If you are, did you research this before you decided to switch? I gather from your OP, that you were a Dish customer? I assume that you were used to the TV2 function on Dish? My point is that this is nothing new with DirecTV's equipment. The Hx and HRx series receivers have not had RF outputs since the beginning. They were never really designed to be used that way. In the past I used a HR21 that way, and had absolutely no problem. I just got a cheap Belkin RF modulator, and another remote for the location where I wanted to modulate the signal, and I was in business. I cant see why you are so upset if you did your research. Of course, if you didn't I guess it is a case of live and learn.

I have never been a DirecTV customer nor a Dish Network customer. Re-read my post please.

The original poster is completely correct about having to run a second line. And it really is no way to diplex the outgoing signal with the incoming satellite signal. It completely trashes multi room viewing capabilities. And make no mistake about it, as an installer myself very few people seem to have vcr's in their closets anymore as previously posted further upthread.

I believe the original reason for posting was more of a rant from his personal experience installing, and as a possible warning to other potential customers

Correct.

My remote is RF and I mirror with a simple HDMI splitter, pretty easy IMHO. The OP is full of it.

You missed the point of the post entirely. YOUR remote may be RF, and YOU may have an HDMI splitter you got for free, and YOU may have had thirty minutes of free time with nothing better to do as well as the knowledge and expertise and willingness to mirror. YOU are the exception.

Totally agreed, but OP already said he was miroring instead of MRV due to MRV cost. As far as i am concerned MRV is to be preferred over Mirroring. It is easier to Do, and 2nd TV is HD.

I wasn't comparing mirroring to MRV. I was actually comparing DirecTV mirroring to Dish Network mirroring as I specified in the first line of the OP.

Costly? The HDMI splitter was under $30 at Monoprice, HDMI cable was under $10 and it works like a charm. Only need one receiver no MRV. Simple and done!!

So you're price on materials was $40, and your time is worth $0. A technicians time is worth >$0. Any competant technician should charge at least $45, as he would also provide a warranty that the mirror continues to work for a certain period of time, typically 90 days minimum. $40 + $45 = $85.

I didn't see anything in the op that said he needed any particular length of cable, much less 60-70 feet. I also didn't see anything about the csrs misrepresenting how much it would, or wouldn't cost. He did claim it would cost $85 at a minimum to mirror, which is way off. At the least it would be the cost of some coax and connectors if you already have a vcr to use as a modulator and if you already have a dvr with an rf remote. The most would be for the cost of an HDMI cable of no certain length, which would probably add around $30, and the cost of an rf remote, about $20. The total would be about $50. I forgot the cost of some component cables, maybe $5.

And you forgot that people don't work for free. $45 + $50 = $95. (Unless you're a Dish Network technician. Those guys work for free ALL THE TIME. But this is about installing DirecTV, not Dish Network.)

Clearly, OP prefers the company of gentlemen.

[Can't tell if trolling, or if insulting detractors with hyperbolic sarcasim.]

Lesse, I was with Dish for ~4 years... I had 2 TV2s on the 622.. $6/month * 2 TVs = $12/month * 48 months == $576 saved (minus the ~$20 I spent on the extra remote) (and I had "whole home DVR" 5 years before DirectTV). Worth every penny in my opinion.

... Right, it's easy to sell a customer on possibly saving $500 over the course of four years by spending $100 now. Piece of cake.

I'm sorry if our answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. I understand your point, but the fact is that mirroring isn't something that Directv puts much concern toward. Mirroring with Dish gets you an sd picture. That's a waste of time to me.

I'm sorry if our answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. I understand your point, but the fact is that mirroring isn't something that Directv puts much concern toward. Mirroring with Dish gets you an sd picture. That's a waste of time to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a GREAT idea to mirror. Just don't expect someone else to do it for you for free. That's all.

You can just as easily mirror HD with Dish Network as with DirecTV. Just ignore the SD, TV2 output and mirror the HDMI feed like you said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)