Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I just have to get this out there: Lately, I've been dealing indirectly with a horrible sales rep who keeps promising the world in regards to mirrors, especially when talking to existing Dish Network customers:

Mirroring is the act of causing two (or more) TVs to have the same picture by splitting a decoded video signal which is intended to be shown on only one TV.

DirecTV mirroring is horrible. Which is not to say DirecTV is horrible. For starters, none of the high definition receivers being installed for most new customers have the requisite coaxial output ports. To even begin to mirror, the customer must purchase a separate piece of hardware, a composite to coax modulator (usually called an RF modulator) for around $20-$30. Then, this coax signal cannot be diplexed into the existing coaxial cable coming to a given location (at least, not using the newer SWiM technology). A whole new line must be ran. It can be run directly to the TV to be mirrored, but it is better (in the long term) to run the line to the main coaxial junction box. DirecTV does not include mirroring in it’s professional standard installation, and the technicians do not get compensated for the extra labor. This means the customer must pay (either directly or indirectly) for the mirror with up front fees which start at $45 minimum, not including any wall fishing. After all that is done, and the mirror is operational, the user will find that they are unable to change the channel by the mirrored TV because nearly all DirecTV remotes are IR (infra red), not RF (radio frequency). You need a direct line of sight to the receiver in order to change the channels. To get around this limitation, the customer would then need to purchase either an RF remote for around $20 (if their receiver is compatible), or an IR to UHF converter for $50+. All told, for one mirror, you are looking at $85 minimum per mirror, usually more. It’s almost always cheaper, easier, and gives you more control and functionality to just buy an additional receiver unless for some reason you absolutely don’t want to pay the additional $6-$7 a month.

Last edited:
There's a very good reason it's horrible. They want their additional $7/month, so they make it as inconvenient as possible.

But being realistic, I've never paid more than $10 for an RF modulator (or $0 if I use a VCR). And an HD wireless system like MyWirelessTV works far better than RF coax distribution anyway and handles the remote signal as well. Moca is even better and works fine on existing coax since that's what Dish and DirecTV use themselves.

To even begin to mirror, the customer must purchase a separate piece of hardware, a composite to coax modulator (usually called an RF modulator) for around $20-$30. Then, this coax signal cannot be diplexed into the existing coaxial cable coming to a given location (at least, not using the newer SWiM technology). A whole new line must be ran. It can be run directly to the TV to be mirrored, but it is better (in the long term) to run the line to the main coaxial junction box. .

I agree, you do need a modulator, but, then you can diplex it back to your main ditribution using SWim Diplexers SD SWMD2 .

SD-SWMD2_medlrg.jpg

Then you just need RF remotes.

If you want to mirror in HD, you can use a ZV Box, and distribute HD throughout your home. This however is not inexpensive.

I just have to get this out there: Lately, I've been dealing indirectly with a horrible sales rep who keeps promising the world in regards to mirrors, especially when talking to existing Dish Network customers:

Mirroring is the act of causing two (or more) TVs to have the same picture by splitting a decoded video signal which is intended to be shown on only one TV.

DirecTV mirroring is horrible. Which is not to say DirecTV is horrible. For starters, none of the high definition receivers being installed for most new customers have the requisite coaxial output ports. To even begin to mirror, the customer must purchase a separate piece of hardware, a composite to coax modulator (usually called an RF modulator) for around $20-$30. Then, this coax signal cannot be diplexed into the existing coaxial cable coming to a given location (at least, not using the newer SWiM technology). A whole new line must be ran. It can be run directly to the TV to be mirrored, but it is better (in the long term) to run the line to the main coaxial junction box. DirecTV does not include mirroring in it’s professional standard installation, and the technicians do not get compensated for the extra labor. This means the customer must pay (either directly or indirectly) for the mirror with up front fees which start at $45 minimum, not including any wall fishing. After all that is done, and the mirror is operational, the user will find that they are unable to change the channel by the mirrored TV because nearly all DirecTV remotes are IR (infra red), not RF (radio frequency). You need a direct line of sight to the receiver in order to change the channels. To get around this limitation, the customer would then need to purchase either an RF remote for around $20 (if their receiver is compatible), or an IR to UHF converter for $50+. All told, for one mirror, you are looking at $85 minimum per mirror, usually more. It’s almost always cheaper, easier, and gives you more control and functionality to just buy an additional receiver unless for some reason you absolutely don’t want to pay the additional $6-$7 a month.

-all copied from my Blog.

Where to begin? :)

Why should Directv pay for something that doesn't get them any more in the way of revenue? I don't get that.
Virtually everyone has a modulator in their closet, it's called a VCR!
All of the Directv branded dvrs are rf capable, all you need is the remote that came with it!

I agree, you do need a modulator, but, then you can diplex it back to your main ditribution using SWim Diplexers SD SWMD2 .

Is there a device which allows diplexing OTA cannels and will still pass MRV? I only need to diplex VHF channels into the line.

Are you new to DirecTV? If you are, did you research this before you decided to switch? I gather from your OP, that you were a Dish customer? I assume that you were used to the TV2 function on Dish? My point is that this is nothing new with DirecTV's equipment. The Hx and HRx series receivers have not had RF outputs since the beginning. They were never really designed to be used that way. In the past I used a HR21 that way, and had absolultey no problem. I just got a cheap Belkin RF modulator, and another remote for the location where I wanted to modulate the signal, and I was in business. I cant see why you are so upset if you did your research. Of course, if you didn't I guess it is a case of live and learn.

SD-SWMD2_medlrg.jpg

Then you just need RF remotes.

If you want to mirror in HD, you can use a ZV Box, and distribute HD throughout your home. This however is not inexpensive.

Diplexing like that can cause problems with whole-home (multi-room) viewing.

You can't use diplexers with whole-home because the frequency bands overlap.....

The original poster is completely correct about having to run a second line. And it really is no way to diplex the outgoing signal with the incoming satellite signal. It completely trashes multi room viewing capabilities. And make no mistake about it, as an installer myself very few people seem to have vcr's in their closets anymore as previously posted further upthread.

I believe the original reason for posting was more of a rant from his personal experience installing, and as a possible warning to other potential customers

Perhaps saying virtually everyone has a vcr stashed away was overstating it, but I'd guess the majority do. My point was don't go out and buy a modulator if you have a vcr that you can use.

My remote is RF and I mirror with a simple HDMI splitter, pretty easy IMHO. The OP is full of it.

My remote is RF and I mirror with a simple HDMI splitter, pretty easy IMHO. The OP is full of it.

Simple and costly. OP was giving Dish converts the heads up sharing a receiver is significantly more complicated and costly with Direc than with most of Dish's receivers (Hopper was first to drop modulated output).

He is correct on everything but the RF remote issue (an easy misunderstanding).

Should he have done more homework up front? Sure. I bet he would admit so, but he is trying to make it easier for other Dish folks to be aware.

How is any of that being "full of it."

Costly? The HDMI splitter was under $30 at Monoprice, HDMI cable was under $10 and it works like a charm. Only need one receiver no MRV. Simple and done!!

Are you suggesting that you can get 60 or 70 foot of HDMI for less than 10 dollars?

Furthermore what the OP was trying to state is the sales reps are saying it can be ran for free. I'm not sure of anyone that will wall fish or ceiling fish cable for free

Costly? The HDMI splitter was under $30 at Monoprice, HDMI cable was under $10 and it works like a charm. Only need one receiver no MRV. Simple and done!!

It's pointless argueing where to draw the line over costs. You're at $40 and only feeding one additional TV wth HDMI. OP wanted modulated which would feed multiple TVs using existing cabling probably already installed by the local cable co. Dish VIPs do this out of the box. Directv's HD receivers don't. Whether it's $1, $40 or $85 it's still an extra expense to be aware of.

Again, how is the OP "full of it?" He simply warned there were extra steps and gave reasonable assessment of how to get it done and the costs involved.

I didn't see anything in the op that said he needed any particular length of cable, much less 60-70 feet. I also didn't see anything about the csrs misrepresenting how much it would, or wouldn't cost. He did claim it would cost $85 at a minimum to mirror, which is way off. At the least it would be the cost of some coax and connectors if you already have a vcr to use as a modulator and if you already have a dvr with an rf remote. The most would be for the cost of an HDMI cable of no certain length, which would probably add around $30, and the cost of an rf remote, about $20. The total would be about $50. I forgot the cost of some component cables, maybe $5.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts