DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tom

I originally placed my DTV mount on my brand new roof of my new house. Don't do it! As soon as I realized what a boner that was, I immediately removed it and mounted it on a pole attatched to my fence. That was seven years ago, and it has worked like a charm. Thankfully, no roof leaks!

The new dish is made by Wistrom (I think I got the name right). It will be interesting to see if any other dish manufacturer comes up with something else over the course of the next year or so that is lighter in weight than this one.

By the way, does anyone know that for those of us with a 3-story building that cost the extra $100 to have the dish originally installed, is DTV going to try and change that amount again when they come out to upgrade their dish?

Be Aware

Hey guys, most of you many know this, but I did not...Signal strength on locals was no where to be seen. The Tech, did not know which channels were local, so after they left and I looked around I saw that there was no signal on the HD locals....This was also a bit frustrating after I heard how great my signal was for such a new system and them just being out of class..Oh well they will be back out tomorrow to adjust.I guess this is what you get for being a "tester" city.

Cables Included

PoitNarf said:
Any information on which cables the H20 will come with, HDMI for example? Also will the USB port on the H20 have any useful functionality or is it just kind of there? I'm in the NYC area and already receive the major NY HD locals from D* as well as off of my OTA antenna, but I'll be glad when my very poorly designed RCA DTC210 is out of here. It'll be nice to watch 4:3 programs in actual 4:3; I know, odd thing to look forward to with this HD rollout but this DTC210 is a pure piece of crap.

I'm kind of annoyed too if the mounting plates are different, but maybe we'll get lucky and the new plates will be able to use the old holes left over from the old plate?

Every cable is pretty much included with the H20, EXCEPT for an HDMI cable. You will have to get that on your own. There is a component cable in there, but I will defintiely recommend and HDMI cable. Got my 5 LNB and receiver installed last night, and it looks great.

would you invest in the HDMI if you have monster?...Does it make a big difference, just lookin from a cost factor..That is once they get my locals in after the come to adjust the signal.

It would be nice to have a HDMI cable included (HDMI>DVI) since all my Component inputs are already taken up.

HDMI cable

HDMI cable definitely better than Component. The HDMI cable can get pretty expensive ($50-$200)....which I can understand why they wouldn't include it. I did manage to find a DVD player with an HDMI cable included. Looks great so far, but will try a MONSTER HDMI cable over the weekend to see if there is a difference.

michigan45

I'm a visual kinda guy so I searched for pics of the back of a H20 and found nothing. I think that would give us a better understanding of what we can do with this new STB. Any volunteers?

Kentstater72 said:
I'm a visual kinda guy so I searched for pics of the back of a H20 and found nothing. I think that would give us a better understanding of what we can do with this new STB. Any volunteers?

Mine is being installed as I type. Will take a few shots later this afternoon if nobody beats me to it...

My understanding is that typical consumer grade HDMI cables (and those in the CE box) are only good to about 15' so be wary of your install needs. Professional grade HDMI cables are good over 25' and up to 75' but they are HIGH DOLLAR. For anyone with a lengthy custom and in-wall/ceiling install, component cables are the best way to go. Unless you have Bill Gates type $$$.

charper1 said:
My understanding is that typical consumer grade HDMI cables (and those in the CE box) are only good to about 15' so be wary of your install needs. Professional grade HDMI cables are good over 25' and up to 75' but they are HIGH DOLLAR. For anyone with a lengthy custom and in-wall/ceiling install, component cables are the best way to go. Unless you have Bill Gates type $$$.

Have 35' HDMI cable (paid $26) and it works great with HDDVR 942 connected to Panny 500 projector. Component from 942 are connected to Hitachi 61". Both outputs work at the same time just fine. Optical audio output splitted from 942 and goes to living room receiver and basement receiver (40', $25). No problems with audio on both receivers. :D

So, this H20 is THE DVR that I kept hearing about that DirecTV releasing next year and it's out already?

I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area. If I call DirecTV, can it get it now? I currently have the Sony HD-300 with TiVo Series 2 but would rather ditch TiVo since TiVo screwed up by dropping support for the data port on the Sony HD-300. :rolleyes:

I love my Sony HD-300, but would be even better with true HD DVR that has MPEG4.

Kentstater72 said:

Here is a pic of the back of my H-20...

H-20Rear.jpg

Its a bit off from the H10 manual's illustration so GREAT "real" photo. The manual shows both coaxial and optical audio on the H10 from what I remember as well as the low speed data port. So it would seem sad they would remove them in an "upgraded" release. The H20 did add the seemingly useless USB port.

Superfan

Even though I am still waiting for techs to come back and adjust my signal (no locals in HD as of yet) I am looking foward to using the H20 with superfan, to see how that works. Did I say that was one big dish?...

satjay said:
Even though I am still waiting for techs to come back and adjust my signal (no locals in HD as of yet) I am looking foward to using the H20 with superfan, to see how that works. Did I say that was one big dish?...

I have to admit, the dish is smaller than I expected. It is the mast that caught me by surprise. It sits a lot taller on my house than the last one. If the masts were of similar length I think I really wouldn't have noticed a terribly large difference (but that is just me)!!

Sorry to hear your set-up isn't working either. My problem though is I don't get the national HD (70s and 80s) channels since the install...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)