DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
moonman said:
D*'s Spaceway 1 channel list now on Lyngsat.com
Don't know if this has been posted or not...H/D MPEG4 channel list............
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa103.html
So, D* site is correct the only thing they are broadcasting in HD in the SF Bay Area is the big 4. No WB, no PBS, no UPN --- No real reason to be concerned about upgrading. The only thing I will gain is WB in HD as far as LIL. :cool:

Gator5000e said:
Anyone know when the second tier will be released? I am in Orlando (#20, as far as I know) and recently moved and lost my ability to put up a roof top OTA antenna. I am trying to make due with a RCA set top antenna and it's not working too well. I am impatiently waiting for the HD locals in Orlando. If anyone knows anything, I appreciate the info. Thanks.

Sometime next month, eariler next year

rstokas said:
CALL APEX!! They just told me they have no new dishes until Dec. 14

Earlier this week it was 12/8, now 12/14, ARG! I'm schedule for 12/12, wonder when they'll get around to calling me?

they didn't call me !!! I called them to confirm the appointment and they told me. They usually will not call you until the day before bc thats when the order goes to the tech who realizes they don't have them..

Apex 888-526-0297

Warren C said:
To anyone that has the MPEG4 Box and HD LIL's, Where are the HD LIL channels mapped on the DTV grid?

Actually, the SD and HD locals are mapped to the same channel!!! :( You can not direct tune to the HD channel, even if it is blocked off in your "Favorites List". For example, in Atlanta for WAGA Ch 5, the first thing listed in the guide is AT5 and the second is WAGA. You can remove AT5 from the guide, but if you punch 5-Select on your remote, it will tune to the SD AT5 channel. I had to program my Pronto to send a 5-Select-ChUp sequence so when I press my "FOX" button, it will tune to AT5 and then Channel Up to the WAGA HD channel.

dervari said:
Actually, the SD and HD locals are mapped to the same channel!!! :( You can not direct tune to the HD channel, even if it is blocked off in your "Favorites List". For example, in Atlanta for WAGA Ch 5, the first thing listed in the guide is AT5 and the second is WAGA. You can remove AT5 from the guide, but if you punch 5-Select on your remote, it will tune to the SD AT5 channel. I had to program my Pronto to send a 5-Select-ChUp sequence so when I press my "FOX" button, it will tune to AT5 and then Channel Up to the WAGA HD channel.

Ah, I see what you're talking about now (just got the AT-9 dish to go with the H20 that I've had). Yea, that's a real pain, wondering if D* has any plans to fix that issue?

Last edited:
It's probably not the same on DirecTV, but when I had Dish, I could press 04301 and it would make it say 43-01 to direct tune.

Anyway, Saturday the DirecTV goes up. Dish ran me off. Looking forward to it!!!

dervari said:

On the Sammy 360 I can directly tune to OTA HD by pressing 5 - 1 select.

Jerry

Ok, I need Help! I am an Ex VoOmer still in HD shock and yes still using cable (twc)
I am in Laplace, LA just outside New Orleans. I just talked to a D CSR and I was told that I could get the mpeg 4 Package with a DVR (hr10-250). I was wondering if I will be able to hook up my winegate OTA antaenna to the DVR and still be able to record OTA stations. I also was told that the HD channels are now TNT-HD (more like HD lite)
2 ESPN channels, Discovery HD, HD NET, HDNET Movies, Universal HD, also HBO HD, Showtime HD, Star HD, and Cinemax HD.
Is all this true and how is PQ?
Is all this from one dish?
How is customer service after I get it all installed and at 2 am Saturday morning I am having problems?
Can I talk to a live person and is this warm body in India???

First off, MPEG-4 is not active in your area yet. So you probably would be getting the 3LNB dish. The HR10-250 DVR is an MPEG-2 only receiver and yes it will record OTA.
Also. There is no TNT-HD, Stars-HD, or Cinemax-HD. D* does not carry them yet. The PQ is downresed to 1280x1080 so it is HD-Lite but still looks a lot better then SD channels.

Dog6869 said:
Ok, I need Help! I am an Ex VoOmer still in HD shock and yes still using cable (twc)
I am in Laplace, LA just outside New Orleans. I just talked to a D CSR and I was told that I could get the mpeg 4 Package with a DVR (hr10-250). I was wondering if I will be able to hook up my winegate OTA antaenna to the DVR and still be able to record OTA stations. I also was told that the HD channels are now TNT-HD (more like HD lite)
2 ESPN channels, Discovery HD, HD NET, HDNET Movies, Universal HD, also HBO HD, Showtime HD, Star HD, and Cinemax HD.
Is all this true and how is PQ?
Is all this from one dish?
How is customer service after I get it all installed and at 2 am Saturday morning I am having problems?
Can I talk to a live person and is this warm body in India???

I am also an ex voOMer. I use my old antenna that voom provided, hooked up to the 10-250. I get the OTAs that I got with voom. I did buy a pre-amp(not sure of term?) from the wingaurd website to replace the diplexer voom used for power.

D* is less quality than voom, but it is better than the cable available to me.

The last poster is right, no TNT-HD, and no MPEG4 for you (yet).
Supposedly they will swap out the 10-250 for you when Mpeg4 is available.

Kewl thanks for all the input, I just got off the phone with two CSR's and they both told me that I would get the 5 LNB dish and that would be MPEG4, Now you are telling me that 10-250 wil not work what DVR is needed for Mpeg4??? any in site will help me..

Dog6869 said:
Kewl thanks for all the input, I just got off the phone with two CSR's and they both told me that I would get the 5 LNB dish and that would be MPEG4, Now you are telling me that 10-250 wil not work what DVR is needed for Mpeg4??? any in site will help me..
The new HD DVR from D* hasn't been released yet--from what I've read, it'll be a while yet before that happens. You might try a google search for the new D* mpeg4 hd dvr. There are threads about it in other forums--might be here too--I haven't looked. D* also plans to release a Home Media Center, or HMC for short. This system consists of a server & clients for each of your video displays. Sounds great, but we'll see if & when it happens.
Others here could probably give you more specifics on both of the mpeg4 systems that I mentioned.

Baldone said:
The new HD DVR from D* hasn't been released yet--from what I've read, it'll be a while yet before that happens.

LonghornXP (a D* 'inside' info member) says that the new HD DVR is looking like 1st quarter 2006, maybe even late January. Also hear the same info from others, like Robert from ValueElectronics.

Again Thanks all for the INFO!!!! I guess the CSR's see that I am from the New Olreans area, and I guess that CSR'S feel they can L I E to me like FEMA, and BUSH Does!!!!!!!

Dog6869 said:
Again Thanks all for the INFO!!!! I guess the CSR's see that I am from the New Olreans area, and I guess that CSR'S feel they can L I E to me like FEMA, and BUSH Does!!!!!!!

Be sure to add your local tv news, news papers, state senate, and mayor to that list; but still not sure what that has to do with your satellite tv.

HD OTA Antenna

I looked at my order today to verify the new install date (they moved it up for me) and on the order it notes a HD over the air antenna along with the new dish and receiver. Did the DTV person who put my order in make a boo boo? I'm not getting charged extra for it so I personally don't care either way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts