DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper1 said:
I heard no, the dish must be installed by a "professional" thus the $50 charge which I'm sure will be going to the installer.

What if we are a professional and are subcontracted to install DTV units.

See my post above. Commiting to moving either of the 2 to MPEG4 would open up a good share of MPEG2 bandwidth:

1) NFL Sunday Ticket HD (most likely)
2) NY/LA locals + DNS (less likely)
So they'd have to switch over all the NFL Sunday Ticket HD customers to MPEG-4 before they could do that. That would seem to take some time to do. Unless they force MPEG-4 as a requirement to get the 2006 Ticket. But doesn't DirecTV just shutdown a lot of the Pay-Per-View movies on NFL Sundays just to get the bandwidth to show the Sunday Ticket? I could see them switching over NY locals and all DNS HD subscribers to MPEG-4 then using that bandwidth for something else. But that would seem to take some time as well. Personally I can't see them coming out with any new MPEG-2 HD national channels ever again. That just sucks too much bandwidth. Anything new will have to be MPEG-4 and if you're not switched over yet, you're out of luck.

-JustBob

Someone mentioned before that subs won't have to pay for HD Locals under the new plan (MPEG 4). Can you clarify this? Does this mean you won't have to pay for the HD package at all and you'll get HD Locals (only for free)? Or, does this mean you'd get the HD Locals included in the HD package price (the $11 fee)?

I'm not sure the HD package is worth it righnt now, so getting the HD locals for free would be great. Thanks in advance for any info.

satjay said:
I live in the "Detroit" area and after reading this, I called up and just asked if they had any updates on the upgrades coming down for local HD's...Well she sounded a bit confused she said, oh, your locals will just come on one day and you wont need your OTA...Well I am not a expert by any means, but looks like she was a bit uniformed.... :(
No, it just sounds like she got the HD locals and the significantly viewed locals information confused. I know that when the SV locals are ready, they will just "come on" with no further activity on your part.

I read on another post in this thread that, you had to have your HD receiver active in order to get the swap out, I can understand this,

However, does that mean the HD receiver active or thier HD programming package has to be active ???

Because after the football season I will turn the HD package off till next season

Just curious, I myself won't be MPEG4 active for quite a while yet.

Jimbo

adamhochman said:
Someone mentioned before that subs won't have to pay for HD Locals under the new plan (MPEG 4). Can you clarify this? Does this mean you won't have to pay for the HD package at all and you'll get HD Locals (only for free)? Or, does this mean you'd get the HD Locals included in the HD package price (the $11 fee)?
Right now, if you qualify for the HD DNS locals (or if you're in the New York City/Los Angeles markets) you get the channels included in your local channel package. IOW, the D* local channel package includes HD locals where available.

I'm in the San Fran DMA and currently a subscriber to E* standard definition. Who gets priority for the new D* HiDef receivers, current subscribers or new subscribers?

Have already seen it, no ICON option logo EPG, just plain old boring text. I don't understand why D* chose to step backwards. When I asked if it supported 480i SD component, uhh well, component is dead don't you know, but S-Vid is just as good. Yet another slow sloppy EPG, but have been told that will be fixed before ship. Caller id, the current firmware does not support it, but our engineers say it can be enabled.

The demo kept freeze framing, but that too is suppose to be fixed before ship. Called event timers, they are time based timers. UHF remote, maybe. Firmware developed and supported out of Brisbane. High sale, it supports Interactive TV! Whoo hooh, not. Perhaps if I could resurrect my old Amiga for the same experience.

Sorry, I now picture what a bunch of 80 year old conservative men came up with for a DVR. It's a Sky Box no doubt (enhanced VHS recorder).

But the Euro's don't expect much either, the American's are too high maintenance. $5 on top of mirror $5, no lifetime subscription, scoff.

No doubt many will wait and queue for this "precious" new release.

I would like to think that current subs get priority over new ones. We are the ones suffering with very few HD channels and paying $11 a month for them.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
...If you have an active DIRECTV HD account you will be contacted by DIRECTV's contracted HSP to schedule your upgrade...

Why do I see this being a problem? D* local installers are going to call HD subs directly and schedule installations of new dishes/receivers without us calling in ourselves? Like I had mentioned, not one of the 4 installers who I have had out in the past 2 months (long story there) knew anything about it and their company would be the one calling Detroit HD's to do the upgrades. I hope it works out. I see it being a long, long process at best.

Maccur said:
I'm in the San Fran DMA and currently a subscriber to E* standard definition. Who gets priority for the new D* HiDef receivers, current subscribers or new subscribers?

New subscribers will be installed with the new Plus dish and H20 as soon as MPEG-4 is available in your DMA. Existing subscribers may start to be upgraded the same day, but it will take several months to complete every existing subscribers upgrade.

We have a wait list of customers who want to be installed with the new system.

-Robert

Proc said:
Why do I see this being a problem? D* local installers are going to call HD subs directly and schedule installations of new dishes/receivers without us calling in ourselves? Like I had mentioned, not one of the 4 installers who I have had out in the past 2 months (long story there) knew anything about it and their company would be the one calling Detroit HD's to do the upgrades. I hope it works out. I see it being a long, long process at best.

The field service technicians may not know, but rest assured the HSP management does.

Please do not call DIRECTV you will be waisting your time, DIRECTV's time and creating trouble for this forum, Scott and myself.

-Robert

adamhochman said:

I'm not sure the HD package is worth it righnt now, so getting the HD locals for free would be great. Thanks in advance for any info.

Once the MPEG-4 programming and equipment is available in your area and you subscribe to your local channels in SD you will automatically get your networks in HD.

Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The field service technicians may not know, but rest assured the HSP management does.

Please do not call DIRECTV you will be waisting your time, DIRECTV's time and creating trouble for this forum, Scott and myself.

-Robert

No problem there Robert, no calls forthcoming from me. I'll be awaiting Michigan Microtech's call in a few weeks or so...

Proc said:
No problem there Robert, no calls forthcoming from me. I'll be awaiting Michigan Microtech's call in a few weeks or so...

What HD STB(s) do you have on your account and do you subscribe to the HD programming package?

Please let us all know when they call you, what your scheduled upgrade date is and how it all goes.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
What HD STB(s) do you have on your account and do you subscribe to the HD programming package?

Please let us all know when they call you, what your scheduled upgrade date is and how it all goes.

-Robert

Currently, just have one HD receiver (HD10) and a SD w/Tivo in the basement. Yep, subscribe to the HD package and ST Superfan for the NFL games in HD.

I will most certainly keep the forum posted when I get a call and have a firm upgrade date, etc.

Jimbos said:
However, does that mean the HD receiver active or thier HD programming package has to be active ???

I am wondering the same thing. I do not have the HD programming active currently. Not worth the $11 per month to me with current channel selection. If this needs to be active also, then I will activate until my DMA's changeout.

Tonedeaf said:
I am wondering the same thing. I do not have the HD programming active currently. Not worth the $11 per month to me with current channel selection. If this needs to be active also, then I will activate until my DMA's changeout.
I have the same situation...I have a HD receiver but don't have the HD pack active. But...I do receive my locals in HD and HBO and Showtime in HD ...not to mention YEs in HD. Will I be called for the upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts