DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
jdk said:
So you still might be running an extra cable (for OTA), or since DirecTV is now supplying you locals - you don't need that OTA antenna any more!

That doesn't help for my HR10-250 and for the ATSC stations that D* won't be carrying right away. Still need the OTA.

Seeing the size of the dish has me a little worried. Does it still meet the requirements on size for apartments. If it is bigger then what is federally required for my apt complex to allow they wont let me have it. They are very strict. does anyone know?

that is one ugly mofo.. lol... but if it gets more hd.. bring it on baby!! no doubt my wife will sh*t when she sees that.. lol

lurch said:
pics arent the greatest but here goes

JerryVolunteer said:
Seeing the size of the dish has me a little worried. Does it still meet the requirements on size for apartments. If it is bigger then what is federally required for my apt complex to allow they wont let me have it. They are very strict. does anyone know?

From all indications, the FCC allows up to 36", I do not think that D* would bring out something larger than that.

Someone mentioned about a month or so ago that they had aprox dimensions, I thought it was like 33" , someone that has more knowledge in the sales of them can chime in and correct this figure if I am incorrect.

Jimbo

A couple of questions.

1. Will the new H-20 still be able to receive OTA locals like the H-10 does? Or will be have to use the D* locals?

2. I have been waiting, for the switch over, to change from a HD receiver to a HD-DVR. Are there going to be any upgrade deals offered from HD to HD-DVR available, when your new equipment is installed or will I have to take my new H-20 and then get rid of it and purchase a new MPG4 DVR? It would be nice if they would apply the retail value cost of the H-20 toward the purchase of the new MPG4 DVR.

JerryVolunteer said:

The dish will meet the FCC requirements.

rad said:
Lurch, THANKS VERY MUCH! Yep, that's one big puppy, glad it's behind a bunch of bushes in the back yard.

Question, what's the two flex ports on the switch? Can you use one to diplex in an OTA feed like the current 5x8 switches?

looking at the pic for the Multiswitch you can see the freqs that they are using...It looks like they will be stepping on OTA and so you'll need to have a separate coax for it.

That multiswitch kinda scares me. I currently have a three dish setup due to trees. I'm fairly certain I can pick up 99 and 103 from where my 101 dish is, so I was hoping to somehow merge all the signals as I do now, but it seems that I'm going to lose 103 if I try to do that now (assuming the 110,119 signals are stacked the same way they are now)

Does anyone know if DirecTV will be upgrading the multiswitches of people who have self-installed multiswitches?

I just added one recently in my system and would hate to have to pay full price for a replacement.

Thanks!
-Chris

chrisexv6 said:
Does anyone know if DirecTV will be upgrading the multiswitches of people who have self-installed multiswitches?

I just added one recently in my system and would hate to have to pay full price for a replacement.

Thanks!
-Chris

They should include in install as they do now when one is needed.

Thanks for the info all! My question is this. Robert said that D* will swap out all ACTIVE HD receivers. I will soon have an HDTivo and an old RCA DTC100 that I don't currently have active. Should I activate the RCA in anticipation of a swapout? Will there be some timeperiod you need to have it active for, or can I just watch this board and when they get close to my DMA activate it then?

Mast Diameter

It appears from pictures that the mast diameter is larger with the new dish. I have a tile roof and changing the mast is not a simple thing. Can anyone provide the mast diameter and height??? I`ll want to install the mast before DTV comes out to install the new dish and receiver. I also assume that the "plumb" requirements are the same a for the 3 LNB dish configuration.

Charper 1,
Keep after me my friend. But looking at the pics of the dish & LNB's, does it look like there may be an addition later of 2 LNB's on the right side as well?
I'm also wondering about being an active HD sub (for the updates).

I also question the 2 yr contract, If we do it, but sometime during the contract, we wish to cancel, I have read here, that you give back the equipment (equipment traded up for what we have bought), does D* give me back my Sony HD-STB?

Barney

cspiteri said:
It appears from pictures that the mast diameter is larger with the new dish. I have a tile roof and changing the mast is not a simple thing. Can anyone provide the mast diameter and height??? I`ll want to install the mast before DTV comes out to install the new dish and receiver. I also assume that the "plumb" requirements are the same a for the 3 LNB dish configuration.
I've read in a couple of places that it's a 2 inch mast. It's going to cause a problem for me also, unless there's a 2 inch pipe that will slip over a 1 5/8 pipe and provides a tight fit.

The Way The Lnb's Are Shown It Will Hit All 5 Sats,no Additional Lnbs Needed,the Big One Is 99,101,103,and The Other 2 Are 110,and 119

Tonedeaf said:
They should include in install as they do now when one is needed.

Define "needed", as I dont have more than 4 tuners/boxes connected, but I ran coax to multiple rooms for one day when my kids need to enjoy the wonders of DirecTV :)

Basically, will they deem it unnecessary if I dont have more than 4 things connected to the multiswitch? or will they see what Ive done and figure out that I did it for a reason and I shouldnt be left with a useless piece of equipment.

-Chris

What is the definition of DirecTV HD customer?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
You will get your local networks in HD at no extra charge.

And I need to second and stress Scotts all caps warning NOT TO CALL DIRECTV. First of all I am 100% sure you would be waisting your time. Second, you and the DIRECTV CSR can do nothing to expedite your upgrade whatsoever.

If you have an active DIRECTV HD account you will be contacted by DIRECTV's contracted HSP to schedule your upgrade. Upgrades by DIRECTV are only available to existing DIRECTV HD customers. All SD DIRECTV and potential new DIRECTV customers should call their favorite authorized DIRECTV dealer, (hopefully my company) to set up the MPEG2-4 HD and SD service.

-Robert

-Robert

What is the definition of DirecTV HD customer? I don't have the HD package. But I have a HD box with HBO-HD. Do I count? Also, will I be forced to upgrade. I would rather stay with what I have since I don't have any contracts and I only pay $12.00/month for HBO package (including HD).

I'm curious now that the pictures of the new dish is out. The dish and the LNB's look significantly bigger than the oval/3 LNB dish, will this help deter rain fade...or is it more or less just to accomodate more sats on one dish? After the last 8 days of heavy rains here in the northeast, I'd love to hear that the new equipment will be a little more resistant?

Status
Please reply by conversation.