DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey satjay,

Did you say that you have the new 5-LNB dish with an H20 but you are not getting your locals in HD? I'm in Lathrup Village with the same equipment but I am also not getting my locals in high-def? It seems as though my signal is weak for those channels only.

My system was setup yesterday, everything is working for me, I'm watching the Lions vs Chicago right now on the local Fox 2 HD feed. I'm connected HDMI to a DVI adapter and the picture is awesome, no pixelating or glitches at all. It has been a few months since I had Comcast HD, but the picture seems sharper than I remember. It could just be that I'm too used to the horrible picture that I have been stuck with through Charter.

Like others have posted, the audio and video were of by a second or two at first, but then the system prompted me that it wanted to do a software upgrade and that fixed the issue.

My system was the first one that the installer had done since his training class, and it took him about 4 1/2 hours to do it. When he first starting the install he was already giving me warnings about all of the problems that they are supposedly going through, and that it may take a few hours to find the HD local satellite even if I have high values on all of the other sats.

My R10 DVR is extremely slow, it takes 5 or more seconds after pressing a button before anything happens. The installer said to call Directv to exchange it, is this a common issue with this DVR? I'm thinking of waiting a few days to try and get the R15 as the exchange DVR.

About the USB port... Don't the H10 & H20 receivers run a flash memory based Linux OS? So why not add ethernet via the USB port and additional software to allow the unit to be used either as a receiver or as a client on the much anticipated Home Media Center? To me, the look and feel of the software already hints at this possibility.

I am not 100% positive, but just because you see the USB port does not meant it is "hot" via the firmware and bet that thing is DOA right now and will be for a while.

Are these installers using the same mount? I know there has been some discussion on this...

From everything I've read, the new mast is 2" in diameter, so using the old mount is out of the question as it isn't wide enough to accept the bigger mast. Also this new dish is quite heavier than the oval 3-LNB, and from the pictures I've seen the mount has a much bigger footprint, which would be needed to support the additional weight.

Scrib said:
Are these installers using the same mount? I know there has been some discussion on this...

Nope. My installer showed me the difference between the 2 masts...there is a significant difference in the circumfrance, as well as the length of the new mast. There is no way the old mount can be used, unfortunately! The photo below (kind of) shows the difference between the new mast/mount and the old 3 lnb mount that was removed...

5LNB-2.jpg

adawg said:
Nope. My installer showed me the difference between the 2 masts...there is a significant difference in the circumfrance, as well as the length of the new mast. There is no way the old mount can be used, unfortunately! The photo below (kind of) shows the difference between the new mast/mount and the old 3 lnb mount that was removed...

5LNB-2.jpg

Lovely...

It looks like the installer left the old mount? I'll be sure to ask for the same AND caulk in and round the thing.

adawg said:

5LNB-2.jpg

Just to be sure - the new mount and old mount *footprints* are different?

Because of the bend in the middle of the mount, I thought it might actually be possible to make a new mount for a 2" mast and still use the same mounting footprint of the old mount.

Again, this is important so I dont need to be creating more holes in my expensive vinyl siding.

-Chris

The inside width of the current mount, where the mast attaches to the base, IS NOT large enough to accommodate the new mast. The new mast MUST be used for the load of the new dish when it incurs a decent wind force.

chrisexv6 said:
Just to be sure - the new mount and old mount *footprints* are different?

Because of the bend in the middle of the mount, I thought it might actually be possible to make a new mount for a 2" mast and still use the same mounting footprint of the old mount.

Again, this is important so I dont need to be creating more holes in my expensive vinyl siding.

-Chris

The footprints are very different. The new one is much larger. I wasn't too happy about that either, as I didn't want additional holes in my expensive roof. I'll trade you holes in siding for holes in a roof anyday!! :(

Jesus Christ, It's a freaking 2inch mast. It been said in this thread an several threads over 200 times. The AU2 mask will not work. It you don't like the thing get cable.

grydlok said:
Jesus Christ, It's a freaking 2inch mast. It been said in this thread an several threads over 200 times. The AU2 mask will not work. It you don't like the thing get cable.

If youve read what Ive posted (several times Ive seen people not really READ what I posted) i asked about the footprint of the mount, not the diameter of the mast.

Im smart enough to know there is a difference between the mount itself and the mast that attaches to it. Im also smart enough to have read that the new *mast* is 2" in diameter. Considering the mount isnt round like a mast would be, youd figure it would be easy for people to figure out Im not asking if the mast is the same diameter.

I guess sometimes its just hard to figure out the difference between a square and a circle.

Just for clarity, in the most recent pic, the mast is the thing sticking up off the roof, the mounting plate is the flat piece that attaches directly to the roof. Also in the case of the most recent pic, there are two mounting plates but only one mast. Does that help some?

-Chris

I can't say for sure, but just looking at the photo above, it looks like the new "mount" is also a lot bigger than the old one, so I'd guess the old one would not accept the new "mast".

gkurcon said:
I can't say for sure, but just looking at the photo above, it looks like the new "mount" is also a lot bigger than the old one, so I'd guess the old one would not accept the new "mast".

Good grief. Okay, the footprint of the new mount is larger, it will not accept the same mounting hole positions as the previous mount. The mount is also a lot larger, meaning it uses a lot more metal, is taller and appears to be heavier gauge steel. As I have said 3 or 4 times now, the old mount WILL NOT accept the new mast.

Well, I sorta got the answer.

As I said before, I was not asking if the new mast would fit in the old mount. (Again, Im smart enough to know a 2" circle wont fit in a 1 5/8" hole).

I was asking if the footprint (footprint != mast) was the same. The footprint being where the four mounting holes bolt up to the house. It is very possible they could have made a new mount with a larger mast that still maintained the same footprint as the original mount. All they need to do was reduce the "bump" in the center of the mount and use heavier duty/thicker steel. In fact, it would make better sense for them to do this, to avoid what we see in the picture (but hey, I guess caulk fixes everything if it starts leaking).

Im sure if you paid to vinyl side your house youd have a gripe or two as well. Or how about when the "certified professional installers" poke holes in your roof? Only certified professional that should be touching a roof is a roofer, only certified professional that should be touching vinyl siding is a sider.

The footprint is obviously larger and the hole pattern is different. Even if some of the holes could be reused, you still want to put bolts around the outer most set of holes for maximum holding power.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)