DirecTV Multi-Sat Tri-LNB and Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

voi64

Original poster
May 15, 2004
I just recently got a new dish installed. The new DirecTV multi-sat Tri-LNB with built in multiswitch. I understand the concept of the multiswitch.

Currently my dish out in my backyard and I have one cable run to it to my one receiver in my livingroom. I recently added a Philips Tivo unit and want to take advantage of recording two shows at the same time or watch one, record another. My understanding is that "splitting" the signal will simply not work.

The dish already has the built in multiswitch, which is how I'm getting access to all the LNB's on the single cable now in my receiver. My question is, how can I take that one cable and "split" it to the receiver again (for the second input on the Tivo box) without having to run another cable all the way back to the dish's built in multiswitch?

From what I'm reading I can get a cascading multiswitch like a TRDS4 (see http://www.lashen.com/vendors/JVI/multiswitch.asp) but they seem pricey. Is there another alternative on how to simply use the one existing cable from my multi-sat on multiple receivers?

-Void

Looksl ike my best bet would be to just run another cable from the dish. Seems a little silly to have to backhaul a cable all the way from your dish to inside. I'm surprised there isn't an easier way. I plan to add more receivers in the near future and having to do this for each one of them sure is a real pain.

Actually the post that you reference doesn't apply to what I'm doing. A stacker appears to take two LNB's and stack them on one cable then seperate them. On the multi-sat dish there is already a multiswitch that "stacks" the reception from the three LNB's on the dish and my receiver is on the output side of that. (that's why I only have the on receiver now and the one cable going to that). So a stacker/destacker doesn't help me as all of the sat signal is on one coax already.

This is why so far what I've found is that I need a "cascading" multiswitch. Since the DirecTV tri-lnb dish already has a mutliswitch built in.

Tom Cahill has it absolutely correct. What you are trying to do is use one cable from your dish and splice it into the two tuners in the back of your DirecTV w/ TiVo receiver. In order to accomplish a one-cable run from the dish to the receiver, you will need a stacker/destacker combination. Otherwise, you will need to run two cables from the dish to the receiver.

If you plan on adding more receivers, then you will need a "cascading multiswitch". However, you will also need to run two cables from the multiswitch to the dish.

Greg Bimson said:
Tom Cahill has it absolutely correct. What you are trying to do is use one cable from your dish and splice it into the two tuners in the back of your DirecTV w/ TiVo receiver. In order to accomplish a one-cable run from the dish to the receiver, you will need a stacker/destacker combination. Otherwise, you will need to run two cables from the dish to the receiver.

If you plan on adding more receivers, then you will need a "cascading multiswitch". However, you will also need to run two cables from the multiswitch to the dish.

Looks like he is planning on a phase 3 so that is very complicated STACKING prohibitively expensive or 4 cables into a cascadable multiswitch.

So can I just get a cascading multiswitch (like the one I mentioned), plug the one cable in and go? (without the stacker/destacker)

No,

You will need all four cables connected to the cascaded multiswitch for the system to work.

In order to access both the high/low voltage switched transponders on two satellite positions at 101 anf 119, there must be four dedicated lines. The SatC lnb acts as supplemental transponders to one side of the 119 lnb.

In essence, the new cascaded 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch allows each receiver connected to its output of switch between each of the dedicated outputs.

In this case, the built-in Phase III switch serves no further switching function.

You will have to run three more cable lines from the lnb outputs on the dish, if you cascade a multiswitch.

There will be no need to run more than a total of four cables for all future needs with an oval dish.

Ok this explains it well, and I feared that I would have to do this. I might as well just run more cable in, and while I'm at it just run all four in at the same time. Kinda a pain in the neck since the dish is at least 60-70 away. Anyway, anyone know of a place that might make a "four pack cable" of RG6? What I mean by that is a cable with four RG6's rolled into one... (this way I don't have to run four seperate cables). And if it exists where can I buy say 100ft of it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)