Directv/Multi-switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrdutch73

Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Washington DC
The factory instructions say I can hook any of my coax cables from the satellite into any of the inputs, but that must not be true because i cannot get my Dual-tuner HD-DVR tuner to work properly. Is there a standard configuration to get a tuner like this to work? I have two other standard def single tuner boxes working fine... Any Ideas? Do I need a special multi-switch?

Mine is the EagleAspen 4x8 mlti-switch..

The factory instructions say I can hook any of my coax cables from the satellite into any of the inputs, but that must not be true because i cannot get my Dual-tuner HD-DVR tuner to work properly. Is there a standard configuration to get a tuner like this to work? I have two other standard def single tuner boxes working fine... Any Ideas? Do I need a special multi-switch?

What model rec. and dish are you using as well as MS ?

What do you define as work properly, are you hooking up 1 line and not getting anything on line 2?

If your getting ZERO signal level, are you able to verify signal on those lines with a working receiver?

Are you 100% positive that the lines go directly to the Dish/Switch?

Do you have a Slimline Dish up with 4 lines?

Do you have the BBC's connected (channels 480/481 will confirm they are working or needed)?

Are you trying to get SD or HD channels with that setup? Have you tried one of the other boxes at that location to check for cable issues?

Gotta have a wideband multiswitch such as a Zinwell WB68. You also need to have 2 lines going to the DVR for dual-tuner functionality. One for each satellite input on the thing.

A multiswitch is only needed if there is a need for more than 4 outputs. If you have cascaded the Eagle Aspen 4x8 off of the dish, then the Ka sats aren't getting through. You need the WB68 as stated above.

If you don't need more than four outputs, then save some $$ by connecting directly to the dish.

A multiswitch is only needed if there is a need for more than 4 outputs. If you have cascaded the Eagle Aspen 4x8 off of the dish, then the Ka sats aren't getting through. You need the WB68 as stated above.

If you don't need more than four outputs, then save some $$ by connecting directly to the dish.

not to hijack this post but this answers a question i had.

today i was hooking up my system . i have a sl5 dish. and ran 2 of he four wires into my distro area.
I am only running a hd/dvr right now but want to hook up 2 other receivers later. so i installed a Zinwell MS3X4WB-Z 3x4 multiswitch figuring i could use he other 2 outlets later. also since i only have 2 cables runnin o that location i was able to hook my OTA cable to it as well and installed a diplexer on one of the lines.
everything worked fine except it would not see 99 and 103. i removed the multiswitch and replaced it with 2 barrel connectors and it was all good.

my question is if i install the wb68 does it have an OTA input and can i reinstall the dilpexer to get the OTA channels on the tv in that room and will i have additional output for other runs. currently i am using HDMI cables from the reciver and Blue ray.

Thanks and happy new year!

i just looked up the wb68 , it looks like no OTA input and does not look like it will work with the sl5 lnb. is there any other options for my install?

thanks again

Last edited:
not to hijack this post but this answers a question i had.

today i was hooking up my system . i have a sl5 dish. and ran 2 of he four wires into my distro area.
I am only running a hd/dvr right now but want to hook up 2 other receivers later. so i installed a Zinwell MS3X4WB-Z 3x4 multiswitch figuring i could use he other 2 outlets later. also since i only have 2 cables runnin o that location i was able to hook my OTA cable to it as well and installed a diplexer on one of the lines.
everything worked fine except it would not see 99 and 103. i removed the multiswitch and replaced it with 2 barrel connectors and it was all good.

my question is if i install the wb68 does it have an OTA input and can i reinstall the dilpexer to get the OTA channels on the tv in that room and will i have additional output for other runs. currently i am using HDMI cables from the reciver and Blue ray.

Thanks and happy new year!

The WB68 does NOT have OTA connections on it.

Jimbo

You might be able to put the BBC after the WB68, followed by a diplexer. Directv doesn't approve this, but it works for many people. Another option would be to use a SWM8 instead of the WB68. You could probably diplex with that or just use one of the cables for OTA, since the DVR will only need one cable (that's what I did).

so if the cable is hooked up to the SWM input on the dvr receiver it only needs 1 to work both tuners?

ok so here is what i have settled on. as it would be a pain to run 4 wires to the swm8 or the wb68 . i found that the new sl5s is a single wire swm that also comes with a splitter that i can install at the distro area. this will free up the second wire for the OTA/Cable. so for 120 bucks i will have everything i need i hope. 2 screws and a couple of connections and i eliminate diplexers and bbc's if i read it right so in the long run its is cheaper than the other way because it eliminates the need to run 2 more wires from the lnb. and the compadible recivers are what i have or will be getting.

thanks for the input it got me looking to figure this out. unless i missed something

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)