DirecTV Must be Getting Desperate - $25/month Total

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I was all set to completely cut the cord. I had my OTA antenna and Tablo DVR all set up. My FireTV and Roku all set with all the APPs I need. I even subscribed to DirecTV Now for only $35/month with my ATT $25 off discount (I need my MLB Network, which is why I picked Now over Sling.)

So I called DirecTV to seriously cancel, not to seek any discounts. When they put me with retention the lady offered me an additional $65 off my bill for a year with all my other discounts included. This would bring my bill down to $25/month total for XTRA package, HD Extra Pack, and HBO. I told her I will still not be interested as my HR24's are barely running and I would need new equipment. They will not last another year, and I do not want to be placed on a 2 year contract to get new equipment.

She was persistent, but my mind was made up. After some back and forth and some quick math in my head I said if she can throw in MLB EI and NFL ST free for the next two years, I will take it. She agreed. I figured that since it is only $10/month for each month you cancel your contract early, if they did not offer me any deals after my 1 year discounts expire, I will just quit and pay the $120.

So now for 1 year I am getting all of this for $25/month total (including taxes and fees).

1) Choice XTRA package
2) HD Extra
3) HBO
4) MLB EI
5) NFL ST
6) A new HR54 Genie and Genie mini's

In one year after 1 year discount commitment expires, I will cancel and pay the $120 cancellation fee

Reactions: osu1991
I thought it is $480 to start then $10 off each month you don't cancel?
That is if you start with a new contract.

Nope. $10 only. $30 off during a promotion. After a year my promotion ends.

The last I knew it's $20/month for each month left on the contract.
Up to $20. It depends on your equipment, programming, and terms. For me it is $30/month during the first 12 months with my promotion discounts. It then goes down to $10/month in the second year after my discounts expire. I was quoted this when I had to verbally agree and they sent me an email confirmation.

Reactions: raoul5788
I was all set to completely cut the cord. I had my OTA antenna and Tablo DVR all set up. My FireTV and Roku all set with all the APPs I need. I even subscribed to DirecTV Now for only $35/month with my ATT $25 off discount (I need my MLB Network, which is why I picked Now over Sling.)

So I called DirecTV to seriously cancel, not to seek any discounts. When they put me with retention the lady offered me an additional $65 off my bill for a year with all my other discounts included. This would bring my bill down to $25/month total for XTRA package, HD Extra Pack, and HBO. I told her I will still not be interested as my HR24's are barely running and I would need new equipment. They will not last another year, and I do not want to be placed on a 2 year contract to get new equipment.

She was persistent, but my mind was made up. After some back and forth and some quick math in my head I said if she can throw in MLB EI and NFL ST free for the next two years, I will take it. She agreed. I figured that since it is only $10/month for each month you cancel your contract early, if they did not offer me any deals after my 1 year discounts expire, I will just quit and pay the $120.

So now for 1 year I am getting all of this for $25/month total (including taxes and fees).

1) Choice XTRA package
2) HD Extra
3) HBO
4) MLB EI
5) NFL ST
6) A new HR54 Genie and Genie mini's

In one year after 1 year discount commitment expires, I will cancel and pay the $120 cancellation fee

We did pretty good too.

We had whatever the lowest package there is with no extras other than HD, DVR, and Whole Home with 3 receivers.

Had 2 months left on contract.

Without any haggling at all, $50 off per month for 12 months if I signed a 12 month contract.

Reactions: DodgerKing
When I added Directv to my ATT gigabit internet, I got $10 off month on the HSI and $54 off a month on the directv for 24 months. Love it.

Reactions: Jimbo
500 is Humax, 700 is Pace.

The rest of the OEMs:

100 Thomson / RCA (Probably Technicolor now)
200 Samsung
300 Philips
400 Hughes
500 Humax
600 LG
700 Pace
800 NEC

I thought it is $480 to start then $10 off each month you don't cancel?
That is if you start with a new contract.

I think it totally depends on the phase of the moon. When I signed up last summer, this was the language I had to agree to:

"At installation you will be required to sign the Equipment Lease Agreement. Please note that your New Customer deal requires a 24-MO. SERVICE AGREEMENT, which allows us to provide you with reduced equipment and installation fees.

If you decide to cancel your service early or otherwise fail to maintain your minimum programming requirement, you will be responsible for a fee of $20/mo. for the remainder of your contract (up to $480). "

Of course, I have a 2-year price lock, so YMMV.

I think it totally depends on the phase of the moon. When I signed up last summer, this was the language I had to agree to:

"At installation you will be required to sign the Equipment Lease Agreement. Please note that your New Customer deal requires a 24-MO. SERVICE AGREEMENT, which allows us to provide you with reduced equipment and installation fees.

If you decide to cancel your service early or otherwise fail to maintain your minimum programming requirement, you will be responsible for a fee of $20/mo. for the remainder of your contract (up to $480). "

Of course, I have a 2-year price lock, so YMMV.
THis is the way I have always seen it .... $ 20 per month left on your 2 year commitment.

I believe it's $20 per month if you have HD equipment and $10 if SD.
When did this change? I signed back up last year with SD equipment, and Directv just sent me a bill reflecting the $20 per month early cancellation fee. (13 months remaining x $20 per month = $260)

Then I wonder why Directv charged me twice as much. You said that the early cancellation fee for SD equipment was only $10 per month, so that should have only been $130, not $260. (13 months remaining x $10 per month = $130)
As far as I know .... I think it was always $20 p/m (even before HD), and it is $20 p/m with HD and SD was dropped to $10 ...

Just called to cancel Direct, and the offer I got was $55 off a month, free upgrade to my already free Sunday ticket, and cinemax for 4 months, and showtime for 6. Just a 1 year agreement. I said you had me at hello. LOL.​

Reactions: Jimbo
Just called to cancel Direct, and the offer I got was $55 off a month, free upgrade to my already free Sunday ticket, and cinemax for 4 months, and showtime for 6. Just a 1 year agreement. I said you had me at hello. LOL.​
SO ... were you actually Leaving when you called,, or just wanted to see what they would offer ?
I'm just curious.

SO ... were you actually Leaving when you called,, or just wanted to see what they would offer ?
I'm just curious.

I'm curious to that as well. If I call up to cancel, I want to be committed to it should I not get an offer. In which I would be willing to immediately call up and get Dish's new customer offer.

Reactions: pattykay
Status
Please reply by conversation.