directv new install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcdgoad

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I will be buying my first home next month so for the first time I will be able to put a satellite dish up and I am going to get directv because of NFL Sunday Ticket. (GO LIONS) I set up an install with a local retailer but my problem is that they only the new dvr's (r 15)that are not TIVO. I called Value Electronics and they have the tivo dvrs available (r10), but I don't feel comfortable using contract installers. I'd rather support a local retailer, but I don't want a buggy dvr. Is the r10 a vastly supperior reciever to the r15 or should I just go ahead and get the r-15. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

my personal opinion is that the r-15 is vastly supirior to the r-10 unless you want to mod your tivo(add hard drive or linux). but again thats just me. i like how fast the r-15 is(no waiting for anything like the guide to fill out or pauses when you hit rec.) also you dont neccesarily need a phone connection.

cpt_roo said:
my personal opinion is that the r-15 is vastly supirior to the r-10 unless you want to mod your tivo(add hard drive or linux). but again thats just me. i like how fast the r-15 is(no waiting for anything like the guide to fill out or pauses when you hit rec.) also you dont neccesarily need a phone connection.

I agree I think the r-15 is much faster and better than the r-10

I have the R15 and Tivo and I like the R15 (with the 109a update) better than the Tivo. The Tivo is slower and my D* Tivo has the most misplaced power off button imaginable. (It is next to the number 1 in the middle of the remote [ouch]). Hitting the record button on the R15 marks the program immediately for recording where my Tivo could have up to a 30 second pause. The R15 has caller ID and now it works with the latest update.

The Tivo has a better Fast Forward feature

dervari said:
DirecTV uses contract installers also, so there's no difference between them and VE.
Actually, DIRECTV uses a completely different group of technicians than retailers use. DIRETCV contracts to HSP's (Home Services Providers) and retailers use MSP'S, Master Service Providers.

In contrast, my company mostly uses our own priority data base of independent SBCA Certified satellite technicians and when necessary we may hire a MSP. Our independent technicians are paid more than any HSP or MSP and we know these businessmen very well. We always stay in the loop of the installation to ensure the highest quality installation possible.

You picked on a subject that is very dear to me. We believe a quality installation is one of the most important services we provide and we take this element very seriously.

-Robert

Robert, I left a message with Graham yesterday for you and Wendy, my install was completed here in Atlanta on Saturday, thanks for staying on top of it for me.

i couldnt agree more robert. im the in house technition trainer at directech n.e. we are a hsp. we require sbca and constantly pull tech's off the road whenever we think they need up-training in any field. quality work is the only way to stay in buisness and prevent costly service calls in the future.

Robert, it was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon, and if we can assist you and or your Company in any way, please call upon us...

Now if we can just find a great source for CoolSat-FTA systems, I will feel like I have accomplished a lot this year, and it just began... LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)