Directv Next 24 markets for HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I received an e-mail from D* customer service in regards to HD locals yesterday.Here is a brief overview: Dear Mr. ***,We've got good news!We've begun to roll out HD programming.We're already serving select cities and hope to add others by the end of the year.We plan to launch local channels in HD on Nashville,TN on April 19,2006.Since you already have 2 H20 receivers and a 5LNB dish,as soon as local channels in HD is available in your area it will be automatically added on your programming line up.I posted this in another similar thread,thought I would post it in here too. :up :)

Here is a list that has been posted in about 6 or 7 different threads. It supposedly lists the go-live dates of selected DMAs as reported by DirecTV via email to VERY SELECT users and handed out by a few installers.

Atlanta----------- Nov 22, 2005
Milwaukee --------May 2006
Baltimore ---------June 2006

Minneapolis -------Apr 19, 2006
Birmingham ------Apr 19, 2006
Nashville ---------Apr 19, 2006
Boston -----------Dec 8, 2005
New York --------since 2003
Charlotte --------June 2006
Orlando ----------June 2006
Chicago ----------Nov 22, 2005
Philadelphia -------Nov 22, 2005
Cleveland --------June 2006
Phoenix ---------May 2006
Columbus --------Apr 19, 2006
Pittsburgh -------Apr 19, 2006
Dallas-not-------- ABC Dec 8, 2005
Raleigh----------June 2006
Denver--------- June 2006
Sacramento------- Apr 19, 2006
Detroit----------- Oct 20, 2005
St. Louis --------May 2006
Fresno -----------May 2006
Salt Lake City --------May 2006
Hartford ---------June 2006
San Antonio ----------June 2006
Houston---------not CBS Dec 8, 2005
San Diego -------Apr 19, 2006
Indianapolis ------June 2006
San Francisco ------Nov 22, 2005
Kansas City --------Apr 19, 2006
Seattle ----------June 2006
Los Angeles ------since 2003
Tampa. -------------Dec 8, 2005
Miami ---------------June 2006
Washington, D.C.---- Dec 8, 2005
W. Palm Beach------- June 2006

I get mine next week (Columbus) and have called Direct to see what up. It will cost me 99 dollars for an install and the H20, which is not so bad. My concern was whether or not they would shut off my NY HD channels when the H20 was lit up and no one seemed to know. ALl I got was they "possibly" could be shut off at any time after April 19th. Small consolation.

I am not going to upgrade my HD TIVO until the mpeg 4 DVR has arrived, obviously and even then, I really do want to quit using the TIvo. Maybe I will take it to another HD set in my house...

Basically, I really do not know if I want to order this yet or not? I would like to plug it into an HDMI port on the big screen and do a side by side comparison of CBS or ABC, from the NY market and mpeg-2 versus the Columbus market and mpeg-4. HAs anyone done this yet?

Thanks.

I still do not have the H20, but have read numerous times that once you have HD LIL, the DNS will be turned off on your account. You might be able to keep the ones that are O&O, but I have not seen those details.

If I lose distant HD DNS (even though I have four valid waivers in place) I will have a fairly useless HD Tivo as the majority of content I watch is recorded via NY chanels.. ugh

Yes, and their are stipulations that can cause those waivers to be voided; seems keeping your current setup until the new HD DVR comes out might be the best bet for you unless you can 100% confirm you can keep the DNS.

Well, I been over the SHVERA docs and there is no language stipulating that I must lose my Distant networks once I received locals. Furthermore, the language says that I can receive TWO HD per time zone and in my case, this would be NY and Cols. Also, there is nothing in SHVERA preventing me from receiving West coast HD channels, yet Direct took them away. So the fault lies with Directv and its interpretation of SHVERA. In fact, I currently receive west coast SD DNS, east coast SD DNS and Columbus locals on all my receivers. Pretty cool, except I rarely watch a show in SD !!

So the bottom line is if Direct decides to shut off my NY HD channels, it will be their policy and not the letter of the law. I argued this with them when I lost the west coast HD channels, but it was fruitless.

Anyway, charper, your advice is probably sound and I really should wait for the mpeg 4 HD DVR, but I am like the kid in the candy shop and I really wanna see how the mpeg4 locals look!

I have already seen them via Time Warner and OTA, so I know how good they can look - as opposed to the compressed nets from Direct....

So wasn't it the end of April that I could apply for digital DNS per SHVERA? Since D* doesn't have a dvr out and Denver is not due until June anyway looks like a great time to challenge under the new rules for a test which I know will fail :)

jabroni said:
I get mine next week (Columbus) and have called Direct to see what up. It will cost me 99 dollars for an install and the H20, which is not so bad. My concern was whether or not they would shut off my NY HD channels when the H20 was lit up and no one seemed to know. ALl I got was they "possibly" could be shut off at any time after April 19th. Small consolation.

I am not going to upgrade my HD TIVO until the mpeg 4 DVR has arrived, obviously and even then, I really do want to quit using the TIvo. Maybe I will take it to another HD set in my house...

Basically, I really do not know if I want to order this yet or not? I would like to plug it into an HDMI port on the big screen and do a side by side comparison of CBS or ABC, from the NY market and mpeg-2 versus the Columbus market and mpeg-4. HAs anyone done this yet?

Thanks.
i had 2 h20s installed just before lease option, i still have the hd ny locals in the 80's and also receive my locals on the h20's, i was told by a directv rep that untill all equipment was mpeg4 they wouldnt be turning off ny / la feeds unless someone moved. dont know how true this all is but i can verify that i still have locals from ny here on east coast

Stevesmall - Thanks for that and basically, I just received the same info from Directv. I submitted feedback which delineates my current situation and the "resolutions department" lady swore to me that I would have the NY HD DNS channels until such time as I cancelled them.

Obviously, if Direct shuts down the CONUS mpeg-2 HD channels from NY, then the point is moot.

I am going to call Direct and order up the receiver for next week!

jabroni said:
Well, I been over the SHVERA docs and there is no language stipulating that I must lose my Distant networks once I received locals.

Section 204. Replacement of distant signals with local signals

Section 204 of the bill amends section 339 of the Communications Act (47 U.S.C. Sec. 339) to require a satellite operator to stop providing distant-signal service to certain subscribers in a market once the operator begins providing local-into-local service in that market.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpque...ebG&refer=&r_n=hr634.108&item=&sel=TOC_28975&

"certain"???

Tower Guy said:
Section 204. Replacement of distant signals with local signals

Section 204 of the bill amends section 339 of the Communications Act (47 U.S.C. Sec. 339) to require a satellite operator to stop providing distant-signal service to certain subscribers in a market once the operator begins providing local-into-local service in that market.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpque...ebG&refer=&r_n=hr634.108&item=&sel=TOC_28975&

"certain"???

I have four active waivers. You need to continue reading the document, which delineates the exceptions to the rule. Otherwise, I wouldn't currently have local channels from three different markets.

theratpatrol said:
Anyone know when Phoenix HD's will be coming? Thanks.
If you look in earlier posts in this thread,there should be a list of cities and dates. :)

charper1 said:
Here is a list that has been posted in about 6 or 7 different threads. It supposedly lists the go-live dates of selected DMAs as reported by DirecTV via email to VERY SELECT users and handed out by a few installers.

Denver--------- June 2006

:eek: So much for them following the list of top DMA's.

Kansas City Market

charper1 said:

Kansas City --------Apr 19, 2006
Seattle ----------June 2006
Los Angeles ------since 2003
Tampa. -------------Dec 8, 2005
Miami ---------------June 2006
Washington, D.C.---- Dec 8, 2005
W. Palm Beach------- June 2006

It looks like they are supposed to light up the Kansas City Market this week. Does anyone have any information as to whether this is activation still on track?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts