Directv Now dropping support for Safari, Chrome exclusive in July.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RobertSM

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
South Carolina
DirecTV Now, a live-TV streaming service that piggybacks on AT&T’s television services, is one of the ways that cable cord-cutters can still access their favorite shows online. Now, without any official notice as of this writing, customers visiting the site on Safari and Internet Explorer are being told to download Google Chrome as other browsers will no longer be supported after June…

I'd be shocked if Tim Cook doesn't flex his muscle and let's this happen.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/directv-now-dropping-safari-support-july/

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Only Chrome?
DirecTV Now, a live-TV streaming service that piggybacks on AT&T’s television services, is one of the ways that cable cord-cutters can still access their favorite shows online. Now, without any official notice as of this writing, customers visiting the site on Safari and Internet Explorer are being told to download Google Chrome as other browsers will no longer be supported after June…

I'd be shocked if Tim Cook doesn't flex his muscle and let's this happen.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/directv-now-dropping-safari-support-july/

Too late if there was even a chance. Safari is the second most used browser so it is an interesting decision. But according to Android it is an exclusive agreement.

Wow....That sure sound odd to me?????....and in the big picture the more platforms your on, the better chance of success!

Reactions: Tampa8
Tim Cook should tell AT&T you remove support for our browser for DTV Now, you lose iPhones. See how quick AT&T changes their tone.

Maybe it has something to do with Apple's 30% cut of apps on iOS devices?

It does seem as if we're missing some critical information as to why Safari has been axed.

Reactions: Jimbo

It does seem as if we're missing some critical information as to why Safari has been axed.

Yeah. If it had to do with Apples cut it would be taken off the appletv too. Seems like it's just safari

Yeah. If it had to do with Apples cut it would be taken off the appletv too. Seems like it's just safari

True. Maybe it has something to do with browser capabilities, HTML5 vs Silverlight, or they simply want to slim down the support load to just one browser. I read an article the other day that said that AT&T had not anticipated such a rapid uptake of the service and that they were not really prepared for the infrastructure and support requirements needed, maybe this is a slimming down of some of that support requirement.

I posted about this in our Internet TV forum last week.

I am told the MAIN reason they are doing it is to prevent programs such as PlayOn from recording the streams for later viewing. For some reason PlayON can not grab streams from Chrome.

Reactions: keenan
Not that I'm likely to jump ship to DirecTV (even though I'm an AT&T U-verse Internet customer) but if this were true about the Chrome browser protecting the stream, wouldn't Dish, Sony, YouTube, and Hulu be in the same boat about recording the video playback?

Maybe Google & AT&T did a backroom deal where Google collects gobs of metadata that AT&T can use and AT&T "forces" its DirecTV Now users over to Chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I posted about this in our Internet TV forum last week.

I am told the MAIN reason they are doing it is to prevent programs such as PlayOn from recording the streams for later viewing. For some reason PlayON can not grab streams from Chrome.

Directv Now was added to Playon on April 21st. Works with Chrome and Chromecast. "To cast from a web browser, you will need to have the PlayOn browser extension installed for your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer" Very curious they picked one Browser only, but if I was picking one it would be Chrome.

The apps are free. There is no in app purchase, either. 30% of nothing is nothing.

To me, this is actually a good thing. As a web designer, I can tell you that the more browsers you need to support, the harder it is to get things right. This isn't about Apple or Microsoft, it's about picking the best crossplatform browser and getting things to work properly on it.

ATT/DTV know which browsers are being used to access the service. They wouldn't be doing this if a majority of users were using other browsers.

It's not like browsers are the only way to access the service, either. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Just my $0.02

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)