Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
I sat on the fence for a long time on this. I love the Hopper, love that I can get my locals through the OTA adapter to all my Joeys. But finally I gave in to the ~$80/month cost savings of combining satellite and internet with my wireless. Hopefully they'll find a way to get the OTA locals into the Genie.

upload_2017-5-31_8-56-40.png

dont bet on OTA locals
they removed support from the hs17, and are no longer selling/producing the am21
i dont think they even support it

wasn't very useful without OTA scan, the database didn't have every possible channel for many locations

I sat on the fence for a long time on this. I love the Hopper, love that I can get my locals through the OTA adapter to all my Joeys. But finally I gave in to the ~$80/month cost savings of combining satellite and internet with my wireless. Hopefully they'll find a way to get the OTA locals into the Genie.

View attachment 126581

Be sure to check for the $25 bill credit monthly since you are an ATT Wireless customer, also if you do combined billing you get another $10 credit, then if you do autopay with a debit card or bank account that's another $10 credit if you have multiple wireless lines.
Also did they give you Sunday ticket 2017 max free? If not call them and see if you can get that deal too.

You will get locals, just not via an ota tuner. These are the ones you will get. BTW, I'm pretty sure you will get ION in hd.
OK channels.JPG

I understand. Thanks for looking. What I want along with those are the sub-channels, like METV, AntennaTV, PBS Create and a few more.

if you dont have the hs17, you may be able to find a used am21 but it may mot get the sub chanels
best option is tv tuner

Be sure to check for the $25 bill credit monthly since you are an ATT Wireless customer, also if you do combined billing you get another $10 credit, then if you do autopay with a debit card or bank account that's another $10 credit if you have multiple wireless lines.
Also did they give you Sunday ticket 2017 max free? If not call them and see if you can get that deal too.

Is the combined billing discount back? It wasn't available when I checked earlier this month.

I understand. Thanks for looking. What I want along with those are the sub-channels, like METV, AntennaTV, PBS Create and a few more.
I would use the ota tuner in your tv for that, assuming it has one.

I would use the ota tuner in your tv for that, assuming it has one.
Yep, that's my fallback. Only downsides are requiring a separate antenna for each TV (they all have ATSC tuners), and not integrated with the DVR.

Yep, that's my fallback. Only downsides are requiring a separate antenna for each TV (they all have ATSC tuners), and not integrated with the DVR.
You can use one antenna, just use a splitter and amp if you need it.

If you need one for each tv. I'm guessing you're using rabbit ears, as close as you are to the transmitters, A single attic or outdoor mounted antenna with a splitter and separate runs to each tv will be the better solution. I would recommend a Tivo Roamio OTA with included lifetime subscription if you want to record locals and subchannels outside of the satellite.

Reactions: edisonprime
dont bet on OTA locals
they removed support from the hs17, and are no longer selling/producing the am21
i dont think they even support it

wasn't very useful without OTA scan, the database didn't have every possible channel for many locations

I know that a lot of people here put in a lot of zip codes in. I stopped doing that now and just type my own zip code. I am "moved" and just use the AM21 to see what's on my major local OTA channels, and I use my TiVo to watch and record those and the rest (such as the remaining subchannels).

Same here. The discounts for being with AT&T/DirecTV are too good to pass up. I really enjoyed DISH, especially the OTA capability, but AT&T has made it too attractive not to switch.

also if you do combined billing you get another $10 credit
This incentive was dropped a while back, and will almost certainly never return. Combined billing remains a problem for a number of functions to this day (general wireless call center CSRs can't issue credits against unified accounts, paying off a NEXT financed device requires de-unifying the account, etc.)

This incentive was dropped a while back, and will almost certainly never return. Combined billing remains a problem for a number of functions to this day (general wireless call center CSRs can't issue credits against unified accounts, paying off a NEXT financed device requires de-unifying the account, etc.)

Yeah, after I heard about all the problems I decided it wasn't worth doing combined billing if there was no discount. I expect to move later this year to an area that is served by AT&T Gigapower Internet. Does that mean I will have 3 separate AT&T bills?

Yeah, after I heard about all the problems I decided it wasn't worth doing combined billing if there was no discount. I expect to move later this year to an area that is served by AT&T Gigapower Internet. Does that mean I will have 3 separate AT&T bills?
Could be !

Personally, I would go ahead and combine the Cell and the Internet together, just keep the D* one separate.

Could be !

Personally, I would go ahead and combine the Cell and the Internet together, just keep the D* one separate.

I had a rep tell me yesterday if I combined my wireless and DIRECTV I'd get a 2 year lock in price and my 2nd year would be the same price as the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I fought a supervisor on it for 30 mins and he wouldn't budge. Kept saying another deal will come along .

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts