DirecTV Now Price Increase

Savings is savings, sacrifices to some are simply differences in operations to others.
There's two elements to the DVR sacrifice: One is any limitations and the other is having to use a different UI for each service that you subscribe to. For those who have landed on a single service that meets all their needs, check that one off. For those who use multiple services or multiple streaming devices to reach their ideal programming line-up, there's a learning curve. Even if one does have more time than money, time is perhaps more precious than money.

Not much of a learning curve...most of those services are intuitive....you take HBO when they have the show you want...along with every other service...you are not tied into a service like cable or satellite
There's two elements to the DVR sacrifice: One is any limitations and the other is having to use a different UI for each service that you subscribe to. For those who have landed on a single service that meets all their needs, check that one off. For those who use multiple services or multiple streaming devices to reach their ideal programming line-up, there's a learning curve. Even if one does have more time than money, time is perhaps more precious than money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Some UIs are better than others. But at the end of the day they all consist of one's own list of content, recommendations, browse categories, search, and settings. There's no more of a time-consuming learning curve than using different websites for online shopping. If someone is used to using Netflix or Hulu, there really isn't much else to understand with any other given app.

When I first sign up for a new streaming service, I do spend quite a bit of time browsing all the content that's now available to me. And that time doubles as my learning curve for getting accustomed to accessing that content.

MVPDs are a different beast, but follow the same kind of logic. You just add live channels to the mix.

As far as time is money goes, the time I might spend fiddling with a new service is the time I'd be spending in recreational activities anyways. So if anything it's only taking time away from actually watching a show. Yes, there was a learning curve when I signed up for PlayStation Vue for the first time 3 1/2 years ago. But once I got the basics down, it made using any other similar service that much easier. Not to mention, there's an element of fun and adventure in trying out a new service. Like getting a new electronic device.

Reactions: Gobucks
Not much of a learning curve...most of those services are intuitive....you take HBO when they have the show you want...along with every other service...you are not tied into a service like cable or satellite
The curve involves more than just the basic UI of the service. It also encompasses the unique interface features of the streaming device that you're using. The Amazon Prime experience on a FireTV is noticeably different from that on Roku or Android (not to be confused with Android TV).

I'm guessing (hoping) that the Apple TV experience is different on an Apple TV than it is on Roku. They both use similarly braindead remotes.

The curve involves more than just the basic UI of the service. It also encompasses the unique interface features of the streaming device that you're using.

Yes and so what, most cord cutters are somewhat tech savvy and can easily understand what you describe as so difficult, it is not and no different then switching from one traditional provider to another and understanding the UI of the different service with different devices or the same.

My wife suffers from a form of early onset dementia from her parkinson’s like disease, when we moved from Comcast to Vue ( with different devices at the time) then to You Tube she figured it out quite quickly, was there a learning curve, of course, but again that same curve would be there if we switched from DirecTV to Dish for example.

Now once again I am amazed with your criticism of OTT Live TV services, especially since you have admitted you have never tried any of them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: Zookster
Actually the Prime app is the same on virtually every box it is on. The difference on the FireTV is that the Home screen gives some direct access into the Prime database, but it isn’t the app. In some ways it is like the AppleTV app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If my 85 year old grandma can get YTTV down its not that hard.

She never really ever used a DVR. I got her DirecTV now a while back. Prices went up so she went with YTTV. Loves it. Does great controlling the DVR.

So again some people don't need a box or Hopper 3.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The curve involves more than just the basic UI of the service. It also encompasses the unique interface features of the streaming device that you're using. The Amazon Prime experience on a FireTV is noticeably different from that on Roku or Android (not to be confused with Android TV).

I'm guessing (hoping) that the Apple TV experience is different on an Apple TV than it is on Roku. They both use similarly braindead remotes.
As usual, more often than not most in the discussion are talking about live OTT providers, and you bring Traditional on demand streaming providers into the mix to make a point.

Even traditional tv users often have hands on experience with the basic popular streaming services such as Netflix, amazon, and Hulu.

I’m not sure why you keep bringing those up when the discussion is mostly about live tv streaming, which is a area that you admittedly have little to no experience with.

Reactions: Rey
Is it just me or is he against the whole live TV streaming thing? It's like he is always trying to put it down.

Maybe I'm dead wrong.
As usual, more often than not most in the discussion are talking about live OTT providers, and you bring Traditional on demand streaming providers into the mix to make a point.

Even traditional tv users often have hands on experience with the basic popular streaming services such as Netflix, amazon, and Hulu.

I’m not sure why you keep bringing those up when the discussion is mostly about live tv streaming, which is a area that you admittedly have little to no experience with.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Bruce
I keep bringing up the UIs because it has been my observation that they behave differently from device to device. Many seem to want to restrict their tunnel vision to top level menu design but the differences go deeper than that. It even applies to the non-live streaming services.

Something as fundamental as fast forward or reverse is often different from one device to the next. The devices that have better designed remotes have dedicated buttons for "skip" versus "slip". Some jump a known distance and others are all over the map. Skipping commercials (something that is popular with any live service DVR) can be a real drag and it is now visiting even the non-live services. If you're going to insist that commercials aren't something to be avoided, I'd question your integrity. If you're a household that has only one kind of device and one streaming service, it isn't important but that's probably not typical for a cord-cutter.

If my limited experience exposes me to these differences, I can't imagine that's going to change with broader experience.

I have an AppleTV, FireTV Cube, Xbox One and Roku Premier. Yes, each has different UI’s and the trick play can be different between them but no worse than going from say a Hopper to a Genie to whatever cable company DVR. Nothing new about that and it has been commented on a fair bit over time.

Most of the way they are different is in the way their respective remotes are designed and regardless of which one you have or use, you get used to it. Another way that the streamers can be different is in different levels of the software.

Hulu is a good way to look at it. Hulu on the dedicated streamers is different than it is on some of the lesser used boxes. Like Tivos for instance. The version on them is very old and so the UI doesn’t match up to Hulu on most other streamers. Same thing occurs with other streaming apps.

But the bottom line is that most people will have one streaming box and get used to whatever quirks of UI it has. Here of course, we have geeks and fans that have more than one box mostly just because they can or because they want the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well, DirecTV Now isn't the only product they're dramatically raising prices on.

I manage my boss's ATT Wireless account. Over the weekend, I received a notice that ATT is "modifying" his rate plan. Logged in to his account and sure enough, they're raising his price $36.13 per month + tax.

I made the decision to switch him to Verizon's 16 gb plan for $45/month.

If they're trying to eliminate long-time paying customers, they're doing a damn good job.

Goodbye, ATT.

att.jpg

Well, DirecTV Now isn't the only product they're dramatically raising prices on.

I manage my boss's ATT Wireless account. Over the weekend, I received a notice that ATT is "modifying" his rate plan. Logged in to his account and sure enough, they're raising his price $36.13 per month + tax.

I made the decision to switch him to Verizon's 16 gb plan for $45/month.

If they're trying to eliminate long-time paying customers, they're doing a damn good job.

Goodbye, ATT.

View attachment 141281

Gee, I thought Verizon was the only wireless company that did that (screwed me in 2013 or so). I still have friends on the old $29 "true" unlimited plans with AT&T from the days of the original iPhone. I wonder what this means for them.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
AT&T TV NOW Will Merge Into HBO MAX & AT&T TV is Delayed Until Early 2020 - Cord Cutters News

AT&T also announced that in the future, HBO MAX will be how AT&T offers live TV streaming. This lines up with an earlier report that then DIRECTV NOW (now called AT&T TV NOW) will be merging into HBO MAX. AT&T did make it clear that would not happen on day one but did say eventually HBO MAX will be how they offer live TV streaming in 2021.

Then why go through the trouble of changing the name from Directv Now recently?

They have no clue on what to do with all their TV services. Now, they're also trying to sell Directv. ATT bought Directv just to destroy the customer base and now they want to sell it? Sigh!

So the new HBO Max service will only be available if you're a live streaming TV customer? In other words it won't be available as a standalone on-demand subscription service?

So the new HBO Max service will only be available if you're a live streaming TV customer? In other words it won't be available as a standalone on-demand subscription service?
Tomorrow is the HBO MAX Day where they are supposed to explain everything.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)