Directv on Big Truck

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought about the tripod approach, but being in truckstops with trucks constantly manuevering around each other, Im affraid the tripod would get in the way. I figured a way to get it plumb due to the amount of lateral movement by loosening the "U" bolts that hold the mast in place, I use a small magnetic level the adjust the mast. Its not the ideal setup, but will work for now, until I have another brainstorm.

Set up your tripod on top of the rig :D

Just an update: Sinjce installing the Direct* system on my truck, all is going very well, can get it setup in about 5 minutes in most cases. The only strange thing is: that the "elevation" markings on the side of the dish are off by 10 deg. (if I need 45 deg I have to set it at 55 deg). I noticed this on my home dish as well, Im lining it up with the bolt, is there supposed to be another way to line it up? Thanks.

Just an update: Sinjce installing the Direct* system on my truck, all is going very well, can get it setup in about 5 minutes in most cases. The only strange thing is: that the "elevation" markings on the side of the dish are off by 10 deg. (if I need 45 deg I have to set it at 55 deg). I noticed this on my home dish as well, Im lining it up with the bolt, is there supposed to be another way to line it up? Thanks.

Are you lining it up with the center of the bolt or the edge of it or the line ?

The center of the bolt, but even the the edge of the bolt is a long way from where it should be.

I have a new question. As you all know I carry my reciever and dish on the truck. The dish is a single LNB. Is it possible to point it toward whatever satellite necessary to recieve my local channels from home? If so, how do I go about pointing it in the corrected direction?

I have a new question. As you all know I carry my reciever and dish on the truck. The dish is a single LNB. Is it possible to point it toward whatever satellite necessary to recieve my local channels from home? If so, how do I go about pointing it in the corrected direction?

That depends on how far away from home you are, are you in your spotbeam at the time ?

also, what sat are your locals on ......

You can always try, but remember, if you change off the 101, you won't get most of your channels. thats where the core programming is ...

I was only wanting to get the local channels so I can watch the SuperBowl if I dont make it home. I will more than likely be quite a long way from home. How do I even try to point it towards another satellite? When I go into the Pointing Menu, I dont see any other option but the 101. Thanks.

I was only wanting to get the local channels so I can watch the SuperBowl if I dont make it home. I will more than likely be quite a long way from home. How do I even try to point it towards another satellite? When I go into the Pointing Menu, I dont see any other option but the 101. Thanks.

I forgot what model recvr your using, but chances are it doesn't see the other sats, if you only have the 101 listed when your in the Sat section.

Your best bet would be to pick up a small ota set up before the weekend.
You wont be able to just tune in the locals in what ever area your in at the time.
D* would have to authorize it for you and that sometimes can be complicated, particularly if your on the road.

You would also need a digital converter box IF your TV doesn't have one built in.

Local channels are sent in by what's called a spot beam. This means after traveling out of this beam (or range) you wouldn't be able to pick them up any more. If your a long way away they probally won't work anyway. Like metioned you may get major local networks through an antenna if your tv has a tuner for the new digital antenna channels.

** "poor mans" set up for Truckers is Ubolting a pole to the mirror and putting the dish on top and tuning through the window. You can use the meter on the D* receiver menu(beeper+signal bar) to beam in. There is a trick to using the newer D12 box/TV screen as a meter. You hit exit on remote after welcome screen >>logo sreen gets stuck on logo saying search for satellite after hitting exit button>>>precede to hit menu>>setup>>system set up>>view signal strength>>>siganal meter>> use tranponder 1 or 2 to tune dish>>exit out of menu >>program should come on after updating(2-3 mins) With this method you would have to strategically park your truck so dish can face in the right general direction.

Seeing he's on the road most of the time, I suppose he COULD look into getting the NY or LA locals that are on Conus, kind like the RV set up they will allow you to have, but you have to file paperwork to get all that set up and by then the game will be over, but you would,have locals where ever your at, of course they would not be the locals in your city though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)