Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
A couple of days ago I hooked my HR24 to the internet to see what the On Demand product looked like. I do see tons of programs but if you select on it merely asks, inter alia, if you want to record the program. If one is not interested in PPV, what benefits are there being connected to the internet and why is it called "on demand"? If this has been covered in another thread, kindly point me to it.

Although the receiver records the on demand content you can begin watching it a few minutes after you begin recording it. Some of the networks have their shows on demand for free. Here is a list of what I get on demand:

CNN, ESPN, ESPNU, GOLF, HGTV, DIY, FOOD, COOK, STYLE, E!, BRAVO, AUD, HSN, SPIKE, USA, SyFy, TNT, tryTV, TBS, FX, COMEDY, OXYGEN, LifeTime, AMC, TCM, FMC, WE, BBCA, A&E, BIO, DOC, HISTORY, LOGO, OVATION, NATGEO, TRAVEL, DISCOVERY, ANIMAL PLANET, NatGeoWild, SCIENCE, PLANET GREEN, DIS, DISXD, The Hub, Sprout, CARTOON Network, NICK, NickJr, TeenNick, TVLD, HDNet, ABCF, CMT, BETMTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, GOSPEL, FUSE, BLOOM, WEATHER, ESPND, & MTV3, then you also have the premium channels:

HBO, MAX, STARZ, ENCORE, ShowTime, TMC, FLIX, Sundance, IFC Free, HDNET Movies, SONY, Smithsonian, & ShortsHD.,

RKTV, JUICY, SeduXXXtion, & Hustler are available but they are PPV.

There's also, NBCS, Sportsman, OUT, SPEED, Big10, Fuel, KARAOKE, CONCERT.TV, MAG RACK, SKI, Adult Swim, & Anime.

I hope this helps.

I despise that this service is called On Demand. They should have called it Download and Wait.

Essentially what this feature does is downloads this program (that you first set to "record") into your playlist and you watch it from there.

Download speeds depend on your Internet of course, but I recommend to let it download about 20-25% before you watch it, to avoid catching up to the part that is not downloaded. (buffering will occur).

Other benefits are TV apps, access that by pressing the right arrow button while watching a channel. Depends on if they are workin at the moment.

YouTube and pandora (online music radio service) is also a plus to having the interwebs on your DTV box.

I despise that this service is called On Demand. They should have called it Download and Wait.

Essentially what this feature does is downloads this program (that you first set to "record") into your playlist and you watch it from there.

Download speeds depend on your Internet of course, but I recommend to let it download about 20-25% before you watch it, to avoid catching up to the part that is not downloaded. (buffering will occur).

Other benefits are TV apps, access that by pressing the right arrow button while watching a channel. Depends on if they are workin at the moment.

YouTube and pandora (online music radio service) is also a plus to having the interwebs on your DTV box.

Concur! I only waited about 5 mins and about 15 mins into the program, it started buffering. I would guess that the bottleneck is at DirecTV as I have 100Mbps internet service from Charter and speed tests indicate that I am usually getting that speed on my Gigabit intranet. I use Roku for non-Directv programming and usually do not have any buffering issues.

Ive never had an issues, if you bring up the dvr "list" the download bar changes colors based on how much is downloaded in comparison to the projected buffering rate. IE When the bar is green you should be able to watch without any issues. I have comcasts 30MB Blast service and usually start it within a minute or two of starting the download. never buffers. this is using swm as my internet feed. Not sure if the direct ethernet hookups are different.

I have the same 30 Mb/s from Comcast and I use the "non-supported" direct ethernet connection and have ZERO issues and the same results as Twiz above.

I have 100Mbps internet service from Charter and speed tests indicate that I am usually getting that speed on my Gigabit intranet.

just out of curiosity, what is charter racking you for 100MBps, Comcast hast he Extreme105 available for 189.99/mo, and Extreme50 for 99.99/mo, and those prices are WOC I sorta dont see paying that much for internet, then again if i had the money to spend, I probably would....

I don't have issues with it. But, then again, I don't live in a "me, me, me" world where I think it all revolves around me; nor do I live in a "microwave" world where I stand it front of the microwave and yell, "HURRY UP!" I can wait 10-15 minutes. IMHO

I have a relatively slow 5MB/s charter cable and I've never had any issues with it. I tell it to record and by the time I move over to the list that shows it (maybe 30 or 45 seconds) enough has recorded that I can watch the whole thing without any buffering.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)