Directv On demand questions ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
I came accross the Directv On demand channel and cant figure out how to get any channels ? A friend told me I need a Linksys gaming adapter. I'm not sure about this. Wouldnt Directv supply a peice of equipment if needed ? I have a wireless internet connection, so theres no way to plug the receiver into the router. Any ideas ? Where can I get the equipment ? How much does this stuff cost ? Is this easy to set up ? Thanks -

You need a HR2X or R22 receiver inorder to use DirecTV on Demand, these units all have ethernet ports on them so you can hardwire them to your home network. If you can't do hardwire DirecTV will sell you a Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter (which these units have built in support for) or you can also get powerline adapters, both available via the DirecTV web site. If you want to use someother wireless type device you're on your own for support, DirecTV can't assist.

I have three HR20-700's and a older TIVO type DVR. I would have to do this wirelessly if possible. Is it worth it ? Most importantly, Is this equipment expensive ?

Do you have a router with an open port you can use for powerline adapters? If yes that might be the cheapest way to do it, IIRC each is $25 from D*, you'd need four, one for each HR20 and one for at the router. The WGA600N's IIRC at $75 and again would need one per HR20 assuming you have a wireless router to connect it back to.

As for the worth, can't answer that, it all depends on what channels you'd be interested in. Also usefulness of it depends on the speed of your internet connection and if you want HD or SD content. SD programs can be viewed in almost real time with a downstream link of >5Mbps HD it basically queue it up and come back in a few hours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)