directv ondemand doesn't work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
My DirecTV OnDemand isn't working. I keep getting "channel not available." Why do I get this message?

After I got installed last week, it took 2 days for the entire On Demand lineup to show up.

In the network settings does it show that it is connected to the internet?
Menu
Setup
System Setup
Info & Test
then scroll down and check if it says it is connected to the internet.

A little off-topic, but does anyone know if the Linksys WGA600N will work with the HR20 and my Linksys N router. My PS3 works fine (using builtin wireless) with the router. Running a cable would be very difficult.
Thanks.

Yes, I just bought a WGA600N and connected my HR21 to it. From everything I have read it also works with the HR20. A tricky note that I missed is 802.11N will not work with WEP encryption, so make sure you us WPA or none at all.

Forgive my ignorance but since when does Directv offer in demand? Is there a fee to get that installed? What channels are available and what channel is it on?

Thanks in advance.

After I got installed last week, it took 2 days for the entire On Demand lineup to show up.

That is because it will not work until the software update is performed. There is a major update in the software that changes the menu and adds options. In fact, I had an HD-DVR box replaced recently and the guy didn't want to wait for the update to perform when it asked to do the update after he hooked the box up. He blew it off and said it would perform it at night. I of course looked up how to push the update and forced it as soon as he left. You then get ON Demand, as well as changes to the menu. The update also introduces the option to block SD duplicates from the guide, among other things.

He should force the update. I don't remember how but a quick google search will give him the answer.

Forgive my ignorance but since when does Directv offer in demand? Is there a fee to get that installed? What channels are available and what channel is it on?

Thanks in advance.

The 'main' channel is at channel 1000. It includes many of the regular channels like History, CNN, MTV, the Discovery suite, Showtime and Starz but is missing a few biggies like HBO/Cinemax and ESPN. There are also some special channels that don't have matching TV channels like the Players channel and the new Olympics channel. If you have the channel in your regular programming package then you'll have access to the DoD channel for no extra charge. To get it all you need is to connect your HR2X or R22 receiver to your internet connection, they recommend a speed > then 768Kbps. With a fast connection (like >3Mbps) chances are you can start watching a SD program shortly after requesting it without hitting the end of the buffer. For HD programs it's better to plan ahead, way ahead, since it takes a looooooong time for those to make it do your harddrive for viewing.

Just remember, with On Demand if you don't normally subscribe to a premium channel like HBO/Showtime/TMC, etc. you will NOT be able to get their on demand offerings.

Just remember, with On Demand if you don't normally subscribe to a premium channel like HBO/Showtime/TMC, etc. you will NOT be able to get their on demand offerings.

This is true, but he is right in saying they are missing a couple big ones, HBO and Cinemax. But that is a small price to pay with all the HD we get vs. cable.

I've got an USB wireless ethernet stick. If I plug this into my HR21's USB port, would it work for DoD? I'm guessing no because how it would know how to load the drivers for it?

Otherwise my ethernet hub is maxed out.

I've got an USB wireless ethernet stick. If I plug this into my HR21's USB port, would it work for DoD? I'm guessing no because how it would know how to load the drivers for it?

Sorry, but no that won't work. Get a bigger switch or daisy chain another one.

Just get another 4 port Ethernet hub for $15 at Office Depot and daisy chain it (not the upload port, one of the numbered ports) or get a bigger switch. If you daisy chain, put the least active devices on the daisy chained hub or switch.

Enjoy DirecTV On Demand

when i choose the Olympics on demand i get a message that i'm not subscribed. i have all the channels. premium package with sports package all the movie packages. so i don't get why i have this error. also a bit off topic, i have the sports pack and yet some of the FSN's show the same message. is this right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)