DirecTV Plus HD DVR/HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pgtogo84bsxy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Vallejo, CA
I'm a newbie here, so please bare with me. There's so many threads to read and I'm getting confused.

I don't know if DirecTV keeps track of my emails & calls, but I was told that the new HD DVR will allow me to view my local channels in HD via satellite, not OTA. Most of my communication was between May and June with conflicting information from DirecTV and Ironwood Communications. After a lot of confusion, I was refunded what I paid for the over the air antenna that doesn't work in my area. I was told this new HD DVR (plays mpeg 4) would give me what I want and that they "hated" to see a new customer being unhappy so soon. I’ve already seen the HR20 online at bestbuy.com.

I searched online, but there's always conflicting information I think due to the regions everyone is located at. Will DirecTV allow me to exchange my leased HR10-250 for this new receiver for free? I've had it for about 4 months. Also, will I need to have the antennas on my roof changed (there are two there)? I'm not sure of the model numbers, but they allows me to get HD channels via sat, multiroom capabilities, and international channels. The last customer service rep that helped me told me that I would be “taken care of” when the new receiver is available as long as I explain my situation (AGAIN), but he couldn’t note anything on my account regarding technology that wasn’t ready to be released- This was back in June. I’ve read that people have been able to swap out their HR10, but some people had to pay? What causes the determination between who pays and who doesn't? Leased versus owned?

I switched from Cable (no problems with them) to DirecTV in May 2006 because of the DirecTv’s reputation for great customer service, word of mouth, and because it has been referred to the company for sports fans. In switching, I lost access to the local HD channels I was already getting (primetime network shows in HD, local sports in HD) and the local Fox Sports Net Bay Area (Giants, As, and Warriors in HD). NFL Sunday Ticket is great, but why would I spend over $200+ when I can't even get the local 49ers and Raiders games in HD? I’ve been somewhat patient and given time that this will all be worked out before the NFL season, but that season is just a few days away now and I still don't see any officially announced changes. With me being a customer starting on 05/11/06, and paying $499 (with $100 rebate) for the HR10 receiver, I don’t understand why only 4 months later, I’d have to pay to upgrade?

Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area (or better yet, the 707 area code) know for sure that the HR20 will receive HD locals via sat? Most of the posts I've read haven't been from people in my area. I apologize that this is long, but as you can tell this has been bothering me for months and DirecTV customer service reps always give me different answers.:(

From all the posts I've read about the Hr20 you should be able to exchange your old HR10 for the HR20 at no extra charge, as for as the dish I would'nt know.

Looks like they are going to do a free swap out for the HR10 to HR20. The time frame is still kinda up in the air though. It should be this month, later in the month. You will have to notify them via phone probably after the 13th or so and see what's going on then.
You'll at the least have to have the AT-9 5lnb dish installed to get the HD locals on your HR20, (which D* should do for you). An HR20 can be used with the 3lnb phase 3 dish but won't get HD locals.
Also be advised, currently the HR20 does NOT receive over the air from antenna broadcasts. That will be enabled soon though via a software upgrade. Nobody knows when though for sure.
Not familiar enough to know anything about the international channels to know what's involved there.
Now that your throughly confused, I hope I helped somewhat.

bobojay said:
Looks like they are going to do a free swap out for the HR10 to HR20. The time frame is still kinda up in the air though. It should be this month, later in the month. You will have to notify them via phone probably after the 13th or so and see what's going on then.
You'll at the least have to have the AT-9 5lnb dish installed to get the HD locals on your HR20, (which D* should do for you). An HR20 can be used with the 3lnb phase 3 dish but won't get HD locals.
Also be advised, currently the HR20 does NOT receive over the air from antenna broadcasts. That will be enabled soon though via a software upgrade. Nobody knows when though for sure.
Not familiar enough to know anything about the international channels to know what's involved there.

Both responses helped clear those points for me. I just don't like having to re-explain everything to D* again. I will need to have them change the 2 dishes on my roof and I don't mind waiting a few weeks for the HR20. I don't mind bothering D* customer service every few days, but it shouldn't have to come to that. Oh, well. Thanks again!!!

bobojay said:

I've had a H20 for several months now and I do get my locals in HD and SD with the OTA input plus the HD package channels of course.

bamakid

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts