DIRECTV Price Increase 3/1/06???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just got an email stating 'rates will be changing -- click here to read more...' but the link -- in fact all links in the email -- point to pull.xmr3.com. Looks like phishing to me.
I called DirectTV and they did confirm that their rates would be going up March 1, 2006. I didn't get amounts, though, since I was more concerned about alerting them of a possible phishing campaign. However, they read to me the text of the email they're sending out and it matched; the email even contained my first name, so maybe I'm paranoid.
I took the chance of clicking one of the links, tho, and only got a small page of text, looked like misformatted HTML. Perhaps I got sent a test version of the email before it was completed?
Looks like rate changes will be happening, tho.
Barry

bimplebean said:
I just got an email stating 'rates will be changing -- click here to read more...' but the link -- in fact all links in the email -- point to pull.xmr3.com. Looks like phishing to me.
I called DirectTV and they did confirm that their rates would be going up March 1, 2006. I didn't get amounts, though, since I was more concerned about alerting them of a possible phishing campaign. However, they read to me the text of the email they're sending out and it matched; the email even contained my first name, so maybe I'm paranoid.
I took the chance of clicking one of the links, tho, and only got a small page of text, looked like misformatted HTML. Perhaps I got sent a test version of the email before it was completed?
Looks like rate changes will be happening, tho.
Barry
I understand your fear. Had that too the first time, but Directv has been using pull.xmr3.com in their emailed links for some time now--Firefox warned about the link the first time.

The correct link will take you to a page with the package you subscribe to. Mine is the "brown" package: http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_brown/brown.html. Other "colors" have been blue and cyan.

Cheers,
Tom

Dear Mr.

Thanks for writing. After reviewing the message you received, I can reassure you that it was sent out by DIRECTV.

To keep from overloading our systems, we sometimes use a third party to send out email notifications and newsletters. Because they are sent from a third party e-mail server, the return address may be similar to DirecTV_._@xmr3.com instead of XX@DIRECTV.com. While the return address may look unfamiliar, there is no reason to worry. Of course, should you have any concerns about suspicious e-mail allegedly from DIRECTV, feel free to check with us.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Service

So basically, even though it looks suspicious, trust us. You would think at this point in time they would know better than to provide links that are obscure and suspicious to the average person. In fact, I wonder how many of these messages never made it through spam filters. Another blunder by the marketing folks.

The XMR comes from messagereach, MANY companies use them for email campains, marketing, tracking, etc, you can tell if they are from messagereach by noting the headers, you should see:

memailout##.messagereach.com (## = some number)

They also use mxebill.ebilling.com for the email bill notices, and ***-smtp#.accelerator.accucast.com (# = number, *** is usually atl, but may differ) for their free email newsletter, lastly, they also use dorado.CORP.FRD.DIRECTV.COM or PEGASUS.CORP.FRD.DIRECTV.COM for payment confirmation.

Last edited:
Just called and bitched about the increase. I was more pissed off about the $1 increase to the DVR service than I was the $3 increase to the basic package. Don't charge me an increase to the DVR service when you have been sitting on update 6.2 for my HR10-250 for over a year. Anyway, got a $5 off per month for the next 6 months. That is only going to keep me around until the TIVO Series 3 comes out, and then I am going to drop D* after 10 years of service and live happily ever after off of my OTA High Defs and not pay anyone a thing (other than the lifetime TIVO initially cost). 90% of what I watch comes from the 4 major networks anyway.

Anyone know what the cost for installing a new HD DVR will be? Will there be an intiation fee, then a monthly lease fee, or just a monthly fee. Also, will the HD DVR have a RF remote.

cablewithaview said:
This is what I have been going on about, I don't feel providers should pay a station that is free OTA. This has done nothing but jack up the rates, fights between cable &/or satellite and leaving people out in the cold on watching there favorite station. There will come a time when people will demand changes for must carries, DMA's and cash for carriage. I say drop it all and let us have the freedom to chose and time shift even. I'm waiting on the stations to start knocking on my door and demanding payment for watching them off of an antenna. :rolleyes:
Then providers(sattellite and cable co's) shouldn't CHARGE for a station OTA.. Why should Charlie and company keep all the profits to themselves without shareing a dime with the content providers??

One question i own all of my equipment so i will still pay the mirror fee but if i were to lease from directv i would then pay the same fee but worded as rental? is there a mirror fee on top of the lease fee/rental fee?

stevesmall said:
One question i own all of my equipment so i will still pay the mirror fee but if i were to lease from directv i would then pay the same fee but worded as rental? is there a mirror fee on top of the lease fee/rental fee?
From rumors, the fee will be lease or mirror, not both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)